IGNORED

metal spike golf shoe

Note: This thread is 3160 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I never saw the greens back when metals were allowed but look at a green now at the end of the day I cant imagine it would be much worse. They look like waffles. I think you'd have to really dig in and drag your foot to create more damage than dragging your foot with the soft spikes. I dont know, when I play them I guess Ill decide if like them or not and if they really do that much more damage.

Im just one of those guys that likes to learn from experience
Driver 983k 9.5°
3 Wood 906f2 15°
5 wood 906f2 18°
Irons 735 3-pw S300, Golf Pride Tour Velvet cord
Wedges Spin Milled 53°, Spin Milled 59°Putter Studio Select Newport 2Goals for '10:1. Get down to scratch or better

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Administrator
I never saw the greens back when metals were allowed but look at a green now at the end of the day I cant imagine it would be much worse.

They were much worse. Why isn't the word of people, golf pros, and superintendents who were around back then good enough? I don't think you'll find anyone who would say "they're the same now" or "they were better with metal spikes."

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

There is no comparison. Metal spikes were bad news back in the day. Banning them was one of the best things that ever happened. Greens now are sooo much nicer.

They were much worse. Why isn't the word of people, golf pros, and superintendents who were around back then good enough? I don't think you'll find anyone who would say "they're the same now" or "they were better with metal spikes."

I absolutely agree. Moreover, if a course that I was playing actually allowed metal spikes, I'd likely not play there again. If they care that little for the condition of their greens, it's bound to reflect elsewhere on the course as well.

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• 2 weeks later...
So I've played 2 rounds with metal in and I have to say I like them a TON more! The traction is unbelievable. I played a round yesterday without them, we've been getting some rain and traction was terrible with those stupid soft spikes. Maybe there are some diff ones that provide better traction Ill have to look.

As to the green damage, I could see how if everyone was wearing them it could do some damage especially with people dragging their feet, but just looking at my damage, it really wasn't that bad. I've played on a lot worse greens than what my spikes did to them.
Driver 983k 9.5°
3 Wood 906f2 15°
5 wood 906f2 18°
Wedges Spin Milled 53°, Spin Milled 59°Putter Studio Select Newport 2Goals for '10:1. Get down to scratch or better

As to the green damage, I could see how if everyone was wearing them it could do some damage especially with people dragging their feet, but just looking at my damage, it really wasn't that bad. I've played on a lot worse greens than what my spikes did to them.

I have decided not to replace or re-sand my divots nor repair pitch marks on the green. I could see how if everyone did this it could damage the course but I am just one person. Plus I don't care if the green I have just played is damaged it will be back to normal by the time I play the course again.

R9 with 757 Speeder
mp 57 3-pw project x 6.0 flighted
Vokey* 56* 60*
Monza Corsa Putter

I have decided not to replace or re-sand my divots nor repair pitch marks on the green. I could see how if everyone did this it could damage the course but I am just one person. Plus I don't care if the green I have just played is damaged it will be back to normal by the time I play the course again.

Beautiful! Some people just don't get it.

cubdog

Ross (aka cubdog)

I still have a pair of steel spikes. I just replaced a few of the spikes. The one hole was shot so I used epoxy to glue it in place.

I use them to mow the lawn. The traction on the slopes is superb. It's still nice to hear the clickety click sound when walking up the driveway.

So I've played 2 rounds with metal in and I have to say I like them a TON more! The traction is unbelievable. I played a round yesterday without them, we've been getting some rain and traction was terrible with those stupid soft spikes. Maybe there are some diff ones that provide better traction Ill have to look.

you sir... are a disgrace.

RBZ stage 2 driver & 3 wood

Original AP1 4-GW

Vokey 54.10 & 58.04

Scotty Newport 2

wow threw etiquette out the window huh?im gonna rent a cart and do donuts and skid stops on fairways cant hurt to much im only one person..................

You sound like someone who needs a good a$$ whuppin.

:tmade: 09 Burner
:cobra: Speed LD F 3 wood
:cobra: Baffler 20 degree hybrid
:cobra: Baffler TWS 23 hy
:ping: G15 5-UW
:snake_eyes: 56 deg SW 
:snake_eyes: 60 - 12 wedge  
:scotty_cameron: Studio Select Newport 2

Excuse me?
Driver 983k 9.5°
3 Wood 906f2 15°
5 wood 906f2 18°

You're just going to keep posting until the entire board calls you a dick aren't you?

In the bag:
905R 9.5° - UST ProForce V2 65R
909F2 15.5° Titleist Diamana 75
909H 19° Titleist Diamana 80
Zing 2 3-PW Vokey SM48.08 @ 51° Vokey SM56.11 Unitized Leo

How do you people know the course I played on doesnt allow metal? You dont so shut your mouth. I played 2 rounds, get over it. I switched back plastic so it dont tear anything up. I never got the chance to play in metal so why cant I try them a couple times. You guys are ridiculous.
Driver 983k 9.5°
3 Wood 906f2 15°
5 wood 906f2 18°

How do you people know the course I played on doesnt allow metal? You dont so shut your mouth. I played 2 rounds, get over it. I switched back plastic so it dont tear anything up. I never got the chance to play in metal so why cant I try them a couple times. You guys are ridiculous.

Why do you keep posting then? You have seen enough replies to know that the general opinion of this board is not going to support your action and yet you keep posting as if looking for some justification and then act upset when people continue to disagree...but whatever, I don't care if you play in pink bunny slippers as long as you're not on the course I'm on.

In the bag:

I understand they dont agree. And you know what I dont really care if they do or not, obviously. What I do care about is when people are telling me I need to get my ass kicked. Thats what makes me mad.
Driver 983k 9.5°
3 Wood 906f2 15°
5 wood 906f2 18°

I understand they dont agree. And you know what I dont really care if they do or not, obviously. What I do care about is when people are telling me I need to get my ass kicked. Thats what makes me mad.

OK last post in this mess of a thread...

I agree is was in bad taste to say you need your *** kicked. Understand though that is the true sentiment of a lot of golfers and you should consider how much fun this discussion would be with someone in real life on the course after they've just missed a putt due to your choice to discard etiquette regardless of the local rule or not. I smoke, not really illegal on the course but I know that people don't like to breath it even outside if they choose not to smoke, in fact it is probably still unhealthy if they get a good cloud. I don't smoke on the tee, on the green, or in the cart with a non-smoker because it's just bad form. Metal spikes are just bad form...
In the bag:

Note: This thread is 3160 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!