IGNORED

What is your #1 golf tip for golf improvement

Rounders
Note: This thread is 3921 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

the thing that has helped me the most (especially with partial wedge shots) is concentrating on keeping your head completely still full swing and through impact.  if i can do that, i know the other mechanics of my swing are solid and i will always make perfect contact with the ball.  learned that one from a slo-mo video of hunter mahan.  he literally didn't flinch a mm throughout the swing and impact.  it was impressive.

drink lots of beer, my motto. j/k. in the last year (about this time)i took up the game of golf i have tried to played 2 rounds a week (wife hated me for that) i went from the very first time teeing off shanking duffing hacking the ball to the green then slapping it around finally getting it close to the hole, and i am serious about that. each time i went out i tried different stances ,swing motion ect. i did not give up i heard all kinds of advice on the course (try this and that) that does not work out there. i kept on playing hacking duffing, still played 2 times a week, again i would work on small adjustments stance grip ect. still hack and duff, still played 2 times a week and i enjoyed the game even tho i sucked. towards the end of summer i started to improve a little but not much 100 +. i found this site and started lurking, i picked up tid bits of info, go back out hack and slap still played 2 times a week even during the fall months. (i did not play the same course all the time mind you) i played a lot of courses in this area about 7 of them, san antonio (they have some beautiful courses) houston, i was invited to go to Tahoe and we played 4 courses there( and i actually played decent there) edgewood was my fav. so after Xmas i started to really to pay attention to my swing, grip and keeping my head still well heck it started to improve my game (still sucked on the short game and putting) i still played 2 times a week (by this time i did not care what the wife thought lol) i watch this site and picked up a couple of more pointers. then about a month ago i talked with one of my co workers i talk about my swing (i am a rode hard 50 yr old) went from a reach back around my head touch my belly button with the driver club head swing to a 1/2,3/4 swing. damn if that did not change my game. funny that one of the poster mention about hitting it at his house that has some acreage, myself (and wife) own horse stables, well i have  a 130 yrd set up and start hitting about 100 balls a day 8i 9i with my "new swing and grip" dang if i did not place my shots with in 10 yrd circle . so went out last week and played and played respectable broke 100 for the 2nd time , this game is starting to be fun, was hitting GIR and (also changed putter) my putting improved. instead of 4 putts i went  2 putts. also i get to play in my first legit tournament  this week end. to the end of my adventure,play golf don't get frustrated enjoy, forget everything when you are out there watch the wild life chit chat about goofy and funny things enjoy life, its way to short. btw my wife said not to buy her anything for valentines day just go play golf, damn i love her (i took me 1 1/2 hrs to type this damn thing because of phones and customers that's why i took up golf) enjoy the game of golf

• Upvote 1

Proper alignment, I think it'll kill a swing if you align wrong.  Because then most golfers who align work then subconsciously compensate for it by coming over the top or way inside and what not.  I say get an alignment stick and check your alignment on the range, a lot of you may be surprised with how far off you actually are.

Titleist 913D2 9.5 (UST VTS 65)

Titleist 913F 15 (Diamana S+)

Titleist 913H 19 (Diamana S+)

Titleist 714 AP2 (4-PW) (DG XP-95)

Titleist Vokey SM5 (52,56,58) (DG XP-95)

Ping Anser 2 Classic

• 1 month later...
Originally Posted by Rounders

What is your #1 golf tip you give out to friends (anyone really) to help them improve their game?

examples: "keep your head down", "don't swing so hard" etc.

Mental Tip:

From Bob Rotella:  "I will refuse to allow anything that happens on the golf course today to bother me or upset me. I will accept bad breaks and mistakes and be tough in adversity. I am going to be in a good mood and a great state of mind for the entire round today. I'll enjoy playing."

Playing Tip:

Spend most of your practice time on your short game. Testosterone makes most men try to hit their driver 300+ yards, and pitching wedges 140+, but truth be known, a proficient short game from 100 yards and closer is the fastest way to lower your scores--period.

Drivers: Bag 1 - TM R11 (10.5°); Bag 2 - Ping G5 (9°),
Fairway woods: #1 - TM RBZ Tour (14.5°) & TM System 2 Raylor (17°); #2 - TM Burner (15°) & TM V-Steel (18°)
Hybrid: #1 - TM Rocketballz (19°); #2 - Ping G5 (19°)
Irons: #1 - Ping i3+; #2 - Hogan Edge  (both 4-pw, +1" shaft)
Wedges: #1 - Ping i3+ U wedge (52°) & Ping Eye 2+ BeCu (60°); #2 - Ping ISI Sand BeCu (52°) & Cleveland CG11 lob (60°)
Putters: Ping B60i & Anser 2, Odyssey White Steel 2-Ball & White Hot XG #9, Lamkim Jumbp grips
Golf Balls: Titleist Pro V1, Bridgestone B330, Callaway SR1, Slazenger Grips: Lamkin Crossline
Golf Shoes: Footjoy & Adidas; Golf Glove: Footjoy StaSof®; Golf Bag: Ping Hoofer
I love this game! :-D

My tip would be start playing by no later than age 9 or you are destined for a life of golfing frustration. Just joking!!!!

As far as tips go they are only as good as they apply to each individual. I don't know what the best tip would be but considering that one of the biggest faults I see in average golfers is they just don't get to their left side nowhere near enough or even worse do the old reverse pivot. So I guess I would say getting to your left side with your hips/lower body as you transition to the downswing would be a good tip for most players!

In My Bag:
Driver: :Cobra Amp Cell Pro 9.5*, Stock X-Flex

3 Wood: :Cobra Bio Cell 16*, Stock X-Flex

5 Wood: Cobra Bio Cell 20*, Stock S-Flex
Irons: Bridgestone J40-CB 3-PW, Project-X 6.0

Gap Wedge::Vokey: 52* CNC  

Sand Wedge: :Vokey: 58* CNC  

Putters: Scotty Cameron Newport II 

Ball: Bridgestone 330-S(2014)

Along the lines of what Parker0065 said:

Don't play other sports (like basketball and softball) until you are 48 years old and then decide that it's time to take up golf because "it will be much easier". After all it looks like a piece of cake on TV and a few of those guys don't even look like they could dunk a basketball or hit a home run.

Originally Posted by dfreuter415

Mental Tip:

From Bob Rotella:  "I will refuse to allow anything that happens on the golf course today to bother me or upset me. I will accept bad breaks and mistakes and be tough in adversity. I am going to be in a good mood and a great state of mind for the entire round today. I'll enjoy playing."

Playing Tip:

Spend most of your practice time on your short game. Testosterone makes most men try to hit their driver 300+ yards, and pitching wedges 140+, but truth be known, a proficient short game from 100 yards and closer is the fastest way to lower your scores--period.

These.

#1 for me is THINK before every shot - what am I trying to do with the shot, where is the best place to leave it.  I am amazed at how many players have basically two thoughts: 1) I'm hitting this drive as far as I can, and 2) I'm aiming right at the pin every time.

There are so many holes in my golf league that I used to haul out the driver on and and up with those awkward 40-50 yard pitch shots, usually leading to a par, the occasional chunk and need to scramble, etc.  Now I mostly hit 3 wood or hybrid on those holes, leave an easy 90-100 yard shot and have birdied those holes far more often.

Titleist 910D3 8.5* Aldila RIP
Titleist 910F 13.5* Diamana Kai'li
Nickent 4DX 20* and 24*
Tour Preferred 5-PW
52.08, 56.14, 60.04 Titleist Vokey

Odyssey Metal-X #9 Putter

Pro V1x

Take it one shot at a time (I'll count for you)

In my bag:Driver: 910D2, 10.25˚, Aldila RIP, Fairway: 904F, 15˚, YS-6FW+ Stiff, Hybrid: Titleist 910H, Irons: S-58, 4-PW, DG S300, Wedges: Wishon 52˚, 56˚, Putter: Odyssey Black series i 1

I'm not trying to be a Debbie Downer here, but there is no #1 tip. The game and the swing are far too complex with too many interconnected aspcts. I have 2,563 'tips' in my portfolio, and 56 have been my '#1' at one time or another...
  • Upvote 1

dak4n6

• 2 weeks later...

Ping Eye 2+. No problem.

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I'm by no means an expert, but I've found that shifting my weight forward during impact has helped me out a lot!

Driver: :cobra: BiO Cell (10.5º)

Wood: :ping: G15 3 (15.5°)

Hybrids: :callaway: Diablo Edge: 3 (21º), 4 (24º)

Irons: :callaway: Diablo Edge: 5-PW

Wedges: :cleveland:588 RTX CB 50º, Paradise Black Chrome II Sand Wedge 56º

Note: This thread is 3921 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!