IGNORED

how often do you really clean your clubs

flopdarock
Note: This thread is 4863 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Mine could use it. I noticed my woods were looking shabby last round. Usually run it through the brush bucket on the cart after each shot...wipe it off with a towel and then let it ride. Woods don't fit in there, though.
909D Comp 9.5* (house MATRIX OZIK XCON-6)
Burner Superfast 3 & 5 woods (house MATRIX OZIK XCON-4.8)
G15 Hybrid 23* (AWT shaft)
G5 5 iron-PW-46*, UW-50*, SW-54 & LW-58 (AWT shaft)
Studio Select Newport 2 Mid SlantGrips: PING cords & Golf Pride New Decade Multi-Coumpound Bag: C-130...

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just leave my gear in my club's bag room during the season: then I find it all cleaned up the next time I see it on the back of the cart.

Clean clip-on towels come with this service, too.

But the fee for this increases every season, fewer members use it, and every winter, the rumor is that it won't be offered the following spring.

It used to be somehow tied in with the caddy shack, but we don't have caddys anymore. (Except a few in the parking lot.)

So if I'm asking for cleaning tips, you'll know why.

I'll wipe them off quickly after each shot but don't often take them out and clean them, wiping them keeps dirt out of the grooves and that's the only real issue for me. There's club cleaning things (the ones with the bristles that you dip your club in) on a few holes at my home course so I'll give them a quick run through if I have time while I'm playing.

I clean my clubs about twice a year. I bring them in from car and clean with with soap water, a brush and towel. I use Turtle Wax car wash and wax solution for the soap because I like to wax the shafts to help prevent any rust or discoloration. The rest of the year my clubs stay in the car. If I play in particularly bad weather I might bring them in to dry them off and let the bag dry as well. When I play I try to keep the faces clean using a brush and towel and those little club washer things sometimes found on tees or sometimes even on the riding cart.
Driver: SQ DYMO STR8-Fit
4 Wood: SQ DYMO
2H (17*), 4H (23*) & 5H (26*): Fli-Hi CLK
Irons (5-6): MX-900; (7-PW): MP-60
Wedges (51/6*): MP-T Chrome; (56/13): MP-R ChromePutter: White Hot XG 2-Ball CSPreferred Ball: e5+/e7+/B330-RXGPS Unit: NEOPush Cart: 2.0

I wipe the clubs off after every shot, and clean them after every round. I have always been a neat freak with gear, and the thoughts of muddy clubs in my bag makes me ill.

My golf buddies rarely clean their clubs, but here recently, I have shamed one of them into cleaning them more often.

In my Cart Bag:
Driver: R7 Draw 9*
3W: Ovation 15*
Hybrid Halo 19* 2H, Halo 22* 3H
Irons: i/3 O-Size 4-PWSW: Vokey SM 56*Putter: Anser

When the clubs are dirty ---> Good excuse for a shiny new set

In my Tour Combo Bag:

Driver: Superquad 9.5°
5W: 2008 Burner 18°
3H: Idea Pro Gold 20°4H: 2008 Burner Rescue 22°Irons: MP52 R300 5-PWedges: Vokey SM 50.08, 54.11, 58.04, 60.11Putter: Itsy Bitsy SpiderBall: TP Red

I am really OCD over keeping my clubs clean. Clean the grips and the heads. I have just switched to Mizuno MP-57's from Bridgestone J-33 Cavity Backs. I use to soak my J-33's in warm water and dish soap, makes for an easy cleaning. I was at the range hitting some balls, and could hear something in the shaft of the club. I thought that it was probably part of the grip sliding up and down the shaft. I hit probably another 20 balls, when the head flew off and down the range. It had broken off right at the hosel, I thought it was weird, had the shaft replaced. Two weeks later, another iron started to do the same thing. Sure enough the head went flying. I believe that soaking them like I was, the water was getting under the ferrule, and rusting the metal of the shaft. I clean after every shot, then when I get home, I just use a wet brush and towel. Clubs have to be clean.

I give each club a quick clean with the towel and brush after each shot. I also clean my entire set before every round I play. I can't stand playing with dirty clubs. It amazes me when I see a guy with old hardened mud in the grooves that probably has not been cleaned all season.

In the : Nike SQ Tour Bag

Driver: Speed Pro S Stiff 9.5*
3 Wood: Speed Pro X/ST Stiff 15*
Hybrid: Walter Hagen 21* Aldila NV Hybrid 85-S Shaft Irons: RAC LT2 4-Sand StiffWedge: Z TP 60* Putter: Rossa Lambeau Ball: TP Red Grips: Golf Pride Dual Durometer

I clean my irons after every shot, make sure the grooves are clean. Driver and woods/hybrids only if I hit a shot where they got splattered. I usually do a thorough cleaning once a month, where I wash the entire club, clean the grips really well with hot soapy water, and rub the shafts and the woods/hybrids/driver faces down with rubbing alcohol. Usually go through my bag and clean out any clutter that may have accumulated there as well. Gotta take care of the equipment, costs too much not to.

rubbing alcohol? i heard that wasnt good... i cant remember who told me that... but ive only ever used soap an water

RUSS's avg drive - 230yrds and climbing

Whenever the mats at the driving range are wet...
THE WEAPONS CACHE..

Titleist 909 D2 9.5 Degree Driver| Titleist 906f4 13.5 degree 3-Wood | Titleist 909 17 & 21 degree hybrid | Titleist AP2 irons
Titleist Vokey Wedges - 52 & 58 | Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2 Putter | ProV1 Ball

rubbing alcohol? i heard that wasnt good... i cant remember who told me that... but ive only ever used soap an water

I agree... many adhesives are alcohol soluble.

Don't see any reason why one would need alcohol just remove good clean dirt.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

What polishing compounds do you guys use when you buff your clubs?

ive seen some of this stuff at stores but im wayyy too lazy to buy an apply them... hahaha

RUSS's avg drive - 230yrds and climbing

wipe them down every shot.

At the end of practice time, i will clean each grove and wipe the grips.

pre-round (social) grips before I warm up. Faces after each swing.

pre-round tourney..night before entire bag is emptied and i REALLY clean the clubs.
My Sticks
Driver - Adams Tech A4 9.5* Matrix Xcon 7 X flex 266 Freq
3Wd - Exotics CB2 15* Motore F1 S flex tipped to 275 Freq
Hybrid - Taylormade Rescue TP 17* & 21*
Irons - 4 thru PW Mizuno MP 62 +1/2 X100 shaftsWedges - Vokey 52* and Scratch Golf WLD grind 58*Putter - Rife IBF Tour Assie custom fitGri...

I rinse (if any water is nearby) and wipe after wedge shots, and others as I see necessary. As I walk down the fairway toward my next shot, often I will fully clean the club I think I'll be hitting next.

I just finished cleaning all of my clubs heads and shafts and I regripped all my irons and wedges.

I would have waited until March or April on the regrip, but I'm playing often enough in the "off season" that it's OK now. I went with the Golf Pride New Decade multi-compound on all irons and wedges. I used to have them on my wedges only, and I like them alot. I switched from the Lamkin Crossline fullcord, which I really liked. If the GPNDMC s don't work, I'll go back to the Lamkins. I'm excited about them though, I like the top black velvet cord and the bottom mid-tack (green) rubber.

driver: FT-i tlcg 9.5˚ (Matrix Ozik XCONN Stiff)
4 wood: G10 (ProLaunch Red FW stiff)
3 -PW: :Titleist: 695 mb (Rifle flighted 6.0)
wedges:, 52˚, 56˚, 60˚
putter: Studio Select Newport 1.5

before every competitive round i clean and detail the clubs. faces, sharpen grooves, and wipe down the grips. before social rounds i clean the clubs as i go. they never get really dirty but i can't stand playing with dirty clubs.

In my Diablo Edge Tour/ Titliest Stand Bag:
Driver: Nike VR Pro 8.5* w/ Myazaki 43g X
3 Wood: Nike VR Pro II 13.5* w/ Diamana Whiteboard 83g X
5 Wood: Cobra S9-1 Pro 18* w/ Diamana Whiteboard 83g X

Hybrid: Mizuno MP Fli-Hi 21* w/ Prolaunch Red X
Irons: 4-7 Titleist 712 CB, 8-9 712 MB w/ TT Dynamic Gold X100

Wedges: 46* Vokey SM4, 54* Vokey SM4, 60* TMade ATV

Putter: Scotty Cameron Newport 2 Belly 43"

I have club storage at the course so they clean them after every use.

Ping G 410 10.5 ˚ Driver Ping Tour Stiff Shaft
Ping G 410 14.5˚ 3 Ping Tour Stiff Shaft
Ping G 410 19˚ Ping Tour Stiff Shaft
i 500 irons 4-UW 1/2 inch over, blue dot, NS Pro Modus 105 Stiff Shafts
Ping Stealth Wedges Wedges  54˚ 58˚

Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2 34" 

Note: This thread is 4863 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!