IGNORED

Inexpensive Driver Recommendations???

Note: This thread is 4575 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Good afternoon,

Looking for inexpensive driver recommendations.....been doing a little pre-shopping online.....current driver is an old MP001 with the Grafalloy Prolaunch shaft.....I'm not the best tech, but it's semi-stiff and has the blue/gray shaft.....my driver has developed a hairline crack across the top after 5 years of use and although it appears cosmetic, I'm mentally sold that it has to go...

About to begin my test drives, and just looking for any recommendations for those with similar clubs/swing speeds....I think I'm just over 100mph.....and I'd like to improve a bit on that.....recently, I have hit both the new Mizuno and the new Ping, both with stiff stock shafts, but neither really jumped out at me as being THE club......also, I'd prefer to save a little coin and try to get a bargain on something a year old or so....

Any help appreciated,

Jason

You could try Golfsmith's Snake Eyes line of drivers. I hear that they are very good. Golfsmith would also find the best shaft for you. Assembed (head, shaft, and grip) should be about $200 depending on the head and shaft.

Check globalgolf.com for some deals on used clubs. TGW.com is offering Nike SQ's (non square) for $200. TGW also had the limited edition Callaway FT-i for $200...seems like a good deal. There are tons of deals on the internet. Try eBay as well, but be careful.

You can find a mint condition Taylor Made '08 Burner model for less than $150 at multiple places online and at the store. I purchased my driver 2-3 years ago for $99. It is an Adams RPM draw. Bought it when the new Insight Bull's etc were coming out.

Look for a driver that is brand new for 2009 and get the 2008 model.

The best brand new el cheapo driver I ever bought was the Wilson Fat Boy 460cc. $70 at Academy Sports. The UST shaft, alone, costs about that much at some places. It came with a really nice soft. spongy, but firm grip (didn't describe that really well)

You can get callaway FTi drivers on eBay for nothing these days. Dont know why, but just look. Watch out for fakes though. A way to avoid them is to look for people with a high amount of feedback, look at the pics and compare them with some pictures of fake ones (just search them on google, might even be a guide on what to look out for on the club). Be inquisitive when a seller uses a stock photo found on the net. Other than all that, its a good club that can be picked up for not much

As you can see, theres lots of great drivers on the market and everyone has a different opinion on what the best driver is.
Im personally partial to Mizuno, so Im going to recommend the MX-560. I recently bought an MX-560 12* with a light flex shaft on Ebay from 3 Balls for less than $100.
This club is like brand new and other than the 1 or 2 ball marks on the face, youd never be able to tell it had been used.
If you like your MP001, I think youd be very happy with an MX-560. As I said though, theres lots of great drivers on the market, so you cant really go wrong with any of the major brands (Titleist, Callaway, Ping, TM, Mizzie, etc...)

Many thanks for all the replies, you've all given me a lot to work with.....will post up when I make my purchase.....plan to hit a few on Saturday on the range, I never seem to feel comfortable getting feedback only from those monitors, gotta see that ball flight.....

You can grab a TM Tour Burner new for around 160-170 now on various online websites. Also the Adams A3 or XTD pro is a good choice if you don't mind a lightly used one for under $100 for the A3 and under $125 for the XTD pro

Tour Burner on ebay. Can be found for around $150 brand new(i think). If you are under this budget then I'd suggest a used Taylormade r5, which can be bought for about $60.

Note: This thread is 4575 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!