IGNORED

Ballstriking better than your Handicap

Brakkus
Note: This thread is 5564 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I've had this in my mind for the past few hours, and I think I have something.

How much do you take your tendencies into account when you hit an iron?

I used to account for my average hit vs. best hit and decide which portion of the green I would hit. I even got decently good at it with my old set of irons, when I was a 25 handicap.

Then I got players' irons, which I love. And my ball striking has improved. But I've noticed that lately, I haven't taken my tendencies into account much. I look at the lie and the distance, and pick a club. I've completely ignored everything else - and it has cost me dearly.

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Thankyou everyone for your advice,and to show you how determined I am,for the last 3 months over winter here in the UK it's been cold,so Haven't played as much as I would like.I have been practising putting in the living room,chipping,and pitching(airflow balls).

I'm also a keen tennis player and I know that it takes time to put different shots from different parts of the court together.You really are only as good as your last mistake.
My playing partner who averages in the mid 80's,shot 153 for his first round a few years ago,so patience is the key.

Thanks again

"Repetition is the chariot of genius"

Driver: BENROSS VX PROTO 10.5
Woods: BENROSS QUAD SPEED FAIRWAY 15"
Hybrids:BENROSS 3G 17" BENROSSV5 Escape 20"
Irons: :wilson: DEEP RED Fluid Feel  4-SW
Putter: BENROSS PURE RED
Balls: :wilsonstaff:  Ti DNA

A tennis player??? Why didn't you say so? Of course you cannot become a golfer and play tennis -- just joking.

Actually, I played golf one time with the only professional who had played in the US National Championships in both golf and tennis -- a guy named Powers. That may have changed by now since that was 20 years ago or so. But I've also played tennis against a Wimbledon Champion and golf against a Masters Champion. Did not beat them but was not embarassed either.

I was a tennis player and quite serious about it -- went to state championships and that sort of thing. And a golfer who won a quite few tournaments. Our country club was a hot bed of fine golfers (many went on to play on the pro tours -- 5 or 6 of them at one time) and championship tennis players. One year I managed to finish second in both the club championships. People thought that was pretty good -- I thought I would rather have finished first in one of them even if last in the other one. Anyway, after the second "second place" I suggested we find 8 other "events" and have a decathlon, since it was obvious I did not have the skill or time to win a championship in both and got discouraged listening to friends call me old "second place." You know the drill..."what do you know about how to hit that shot, you finished second..." Actually, it was no big deal at the time, but now a few years later, it would have been nice to have had one more serve catch the line, or one more putt fall... Handball anyone?

RC

I've been a regular weekend golfer for almost 3 years. My game made gradual but slow improvement (to high 90's) until I paid for a series of 3 lessons with a good pro. After some initial struggles after the lessons, my game changed dramatically and I was a bogey golfer before I new it. My short game was still terrible so I spent a good portion of practice time on it and was rewarded last weekend with a round of 79 (1st time breaking 80).

My point is that you can make gradual improvement with practice but lessons with practice can work wonders. I'm very frugal and really had a hard time parting with $60 a lesson but it was worth it.

Cleveland Classic XL 10.5 Rombax 6X07
Titleist 904F Aldila NV
Nickent 3DX hybrid

MX-25 irons & MP-R wedges

Odyssey #5

Leopold GX1/Skycaddie SG5

Sun Mountain Hybrid Bag

I have been playing about 20 months now and really starting to see some big improvements in my game.

I had this same problem for a while. All i did was play/plan my shots for however i was playing on any given day instead of trying to hit a perfect shot everytime. I'm a pretty good ball striker but occasionally my swing gets a little off plane and i lose control of ball flight. Golf is such a great game in that every round brings something new. Just try to be more open to what game you've got each time you go out to the course. Hope your scores drop a bit :D good luck

905R 9.5* Fujikura Speeder
200 steel 3 wood
200 steel 5 wood
690.CB 3-PW
56* 14 Pro Platinum Newport 2 Pro V1 B330-S

I really struggle with the mental side of the game. I put too much pressure on myself and think too much. I play my best when I am alone and do not keep score. For those swho strike tha ball well on the range but are struggling with scoring, I really think you should play afew "no pressure" rounds. It has really helped me.

Actually my handicap is better than my ball striking. Most players seeing me hit balls would probably figure bogey golfer at best, yet I keep my index down around 11-12 with adequate chipping and good putting. I'm going to try and change that this year by playing a less forgiving iron, forcing me to become a better ball striker if I still want to compete. So far the early results are encouraging, but I still have a ways to go. It's still 2 months until handicap season begins here in Denver, so I'm going to keep working on it as much as weather allows.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

I've had this in my mind for the past few hours, and I think I have something.

I took my tendencies into account for about half the holes today - I started out well and finished great. I hit 6 GIR and was pretty close to 2 others, plus two shots that went clear over a green that I wasn't expecting to do so. Today could have been 8 GIR, which I think is pretty good for my handicap.

So, maybe that's the key? I don't know. I just thought I'd share an observation.

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Record you scrambles or up and downs to save par during your round. What I record on my score cards are below:

score
fairways hit out of 14 for a percentage
greens hit out of 18 for a percentage
putts per round
up/down or scramble for a percentage

You are smart to focus all your practice on your short game, I have found that this has improved my ball striking with my irons and driver also.

Titleist 910 D2 9.5 Driver
Titleist 910 F15 & 21 degree fairway wood
Titleist 910 hybrid 24 degree
Mizuno Mp33 5 - PW
52/1056/1160/5

"Yonex ADX Blade putter, odyssey two ball blade putter, both  33"

ProV-1

Chipping is huge. My scores have gone down considerably this past season and an enormous percentage of that is accounted for by my chipping. I have read that you want to stand closer to the ball than you'd think would be comfortable to make more solid, consistent contact. That has proven very true for me. A simple tip that has absolutely worked for me. I stand close to the ball, flare my front foot out a few degrees with my feet fairly close together with weight leaning on the front side a bit, and make what amounts to a long putting stroke with my 8-SW depending on how far I want to carry the ball onto the green. Its a very consistent system.

In the bag:

Irons X20 5-SW
Hybrids Slingshot 20* and 23*
Fairway Wood SasQuatch 15* Rescue:18* Perfect Plus (Don't laugh! I fairway people to death with that thing!)Putter Dual Force 550 Proudly, I hit no Driver. Who needs it?

Well this is the thing I don't feel that I'm that I am going in any wrong directions.I really get into the knowledge of the game and have read countless articles on technique and course management.

Believe me when I say that this doesn't confuse me on the course,I only use what I think applies to my swing which is very one plane based.I think this just comes down to having complete ownership of a range of shots during your round.

I really believe in myself and how I'm progressing but it's a weird situation to find that I hit a lot of great shots but can end up with 3 figures.So it's patience,and I'm not going backwards,so I'm sure that scoring in the 90's is a real possibility this year on a regular basis.

Lots of things that you have all mentioned I am working on or have already,it's a case of believing in those things and sticking with it,but it's nice to know some of you have felt the same way.

thanks

"Repetition is the chariot of genius"

Driver: BENROSS VX PROTO 10.5
Woods: BENROSS QUAD SPEED FAIRWAY 15"
Hybrids:BENROSS 3G 17" BENROSSV5 Escape 20"
Irons: :wilson: DEEP RED Fluid Feel  4-SW
Putter: BENROSS PURE RED
Balls: :wilsonstaff:  Ti DNA

Ball striking is the worst part of my game. I shudder to think where I could be if I hit crisper iron shots and gave myself better chances at birdies...

Driver: Cobra S2 9.5 Fubuki 73 Stiff | Wood: Titleist 909H 17 Aldila Voodoo Stiff | Irons: Titleist ZB 3-5, ZM 6-PW DG S300 | Wedges: Titleist Vokey SMTC 50.08, 54.11, 60.04 DG S200 | Putter: Scotty Cameron Fastback 1.5 33" | Ball: Titleist Pro V1x

Ball striking is the

LOL. I was thinking the exact same thing!

My handicap is a heckuva lot better than I think my ball striking is! But I suspect that it's all relative and better golfers tend to have much higher expectations for the quality and consistency of their swings.

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Exactly the same feeling. Could feel swing slipping away last couple of years and last summer got some professional help. Question was, did I want a couple of things to do better with my present swing or want to work hard to change it. Chose the latter, and a lot more work to do this year. Casting is a big issue for me, so my ball striking is not classic or great, in my opinion, even when I get solid contact with my swing. Really been working on that, starting with the wedges and felt like was making some solid improvement. The difference between 90s and 80s for me was more about short game and finding fairways, but I feel the occasional forays into the 70s will be more often if my ball striking improves (and I don't blow gimmees thinking about my score).

909D3 (Voodoo, stiff)
King Cobra Comp 5w (YS 5.1 Stiff)
AP1 4,5; AP2 6-P; Vokey 252 08, SM56 14, SM60 08 (Nippon N.S. Pro 950GH Regular)
Newport 2 Mid Slant

I only wish my ballstriking was as good as my handicap. If not for a really good short game (chipping and putting) I probably couldn't break 90. In the last 6 weeks, I have been going to the range at least 3 times a week and working on nothing but irons. It is starting to pay off, but it is a slow process.

Roy McEvoy is my hero.

In My bag
TM Burner 9.5 S Flex

Wilson Invex Strong 3 and 5 wood

Maxfli Revolution 3-PW Irons

Cleveland 54/60 wedges

Odessey XG #7 Putter

I have been having lessons with a pro who says I am caught up in the mechanics of golf. He commented that I understand the fundamentals of the golf swing but I do not know my swing. I thought hard about this and its true. I spend so much time analysing Tour pros that I have a mismatch of ideas in my head where I should be. I would recommend seeing a pro for guidance and also practice, practice, practice.

1 year ago I was regulary playing +28, now I do not break +18. I need to play more comps to reduce the handicap even more.

In a point raised in one of these posts, the times I heard a new playing partner say "Wow, your a 20 handicapper, I don't believe it" or "With a swing like that you are going to tumble down to single figs soon enough" is numerousbut at the end of the day, there is alot to be said for proper guidance both in your swing and in your mind.... You can look like a tour pro, but if you do not know what you are doing, have no routine or repeatable swing then you are bound to leak one here and there as well as top it or fat it because you do not know your own game and approach well enough...

My thoughts anyway!!

next time you play keep track of the following:

fairways hit (out of 14 attempts %)
greens hit (out of 18 attempts %)
putts per round (try to keep under 30)

up and down or scrambles to save par or make birdie %

scores are base on good putting and par saves at 80%

so work on your short game, putting and chipping around the green to see your scores drop.

switch your practices to 80 - 90% short game

Titleist 910 D2 9.5 Driver
Titleist 910 F15 & 21 degree fairway wood
Titleist 910 hybrid 24 degree
Mizuno Mp33 5 - PW
52/1056/1160/5

"Yonex ADX Blade putter, odyssey two ball blade putter, both  33"

ProV-1

Here's a graphic example of a handicap being much better than the ball striking. Yesterday I played 18 holes. On the front nine I shot a 4 over par 40, and NEVER hit a green in regulation. But, I only had 12 putts, so the short game was spot on. My 52° wedge was really getting a workout, but it stood up to the task.

I didn't hit my first green until the 14th hole, mostly because of poor tee shots. But my scrambling was superb.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

Note: This thread is 5564 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!