IGNORED

New Golf Clubs or New TV?

ryohazuki222
Note: This thread is 5540 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1. 1. Which one?!

• Big Awesome Beautiful TV
    • Shiny New Golf Clubs

As for the tv,

Same here, but if it is 0% everyone's a winner.

When I got my irons they were last years model and 50% off, this was a few years back though but in early January. I seriously doubt it hurt my game versus the current years ones!

In the Matrix XTT Standbag:

Driver: Biggest Big Bertha 11*
Fairway Wood: Steelhead Plus 3 Wood
Irons: T-Zoid Titanium Insert irons 3-SWWedge: Vokey Spin Milled Oil Can 60.04Putter: Pro Platinum Laguna 34" w/ British Open '04 headcoverBall: ProV1 Rule35 Playing again after a three year hiatus...

Not to be a jerk and ruin your hypothetical, but can't you get a good set of used Mizunos on eBay for like $500, and a fairly large (26-30" LCD) for another $500? I know you said one or the other, and I understand if you don't want to compromise, but you can do pretty well these days in the TV and club markets while still being frugal.

That said, if I had my druthers, I'd get a big f&(*ing flat screen -- like 60" -- and hang it on the wall which currently holds a rather ugly watercolor.

But that's only because I have a new set of X-forged irons in the closet, so I guess I cheated.

In my C-130 Cart Bag:

Driver: Titleist D2 10.5° Aldila R.I.P. 60
Woods Exotics CB4 15° Aldila R.I.P. 70
Hybrids Exotics CB4 17°, 22° Aldila R.I.P. 80 

Irons 4-PW MP-57 Project X 6.0, MP-29 PW

Wedges  Eidolon 52°, 60° Rifle Spinner 6.5

Putter Bettinardi BB12

Ball One Black

Rangefinder Nikon Laser 500"Golf...

We put the 26" in the bedroom. Its the biggest we could get to fit inside the armoire. We are getting a 42" for the living room. As soon as I get taxes. Already picked it out.

OK... I was just hoping you weren't using a 26" in the family or living room, that would be a shame, especially during hockey season. Of course I guess there's not to much hockey to follow in Indiana...

I just wish I could get my wife sold on getting rid of this damned tube TV so we could go get an HD TV... she thinks size is all that matters, and the one I have is supposedly big enough ... but I keep trying to tell here size is only part of the picture... quality is the other half
My Clubs: Callaway FT-i Tour LCG 9.5° w/ Matrix Ozik Xcon 6 stiff; Sonartec GS Tour 14° w/ Graphite Design Red Ice 70 stiff; Adams Idea Pro 2h(18°) & 3h(20°) w/ Aldila VS Proto 80 stiff; Adams Idea Pro Forged 4-PW w/ TT Black Gold stiff; Cleveland CG12 DSG RTG 52°-10° & 58°-10°; Odyssey...

Not to be a jerk and ruin your hypothetical, but can't you get a good set of used Mizunos on eBay for like $500, and a fairly large (26-30" LCD) for another $500? I know you said one or the other, and I understand if you don't want to compromise, but you can do pretty well these days in the TV and club markets while still being frugal.

Haha. I'm glad to hear all opinions.

The situation is basically with these stipulations: -- I have about $1200 in store credit from Golfsmith (long story.) -- I want clubs custom fitted to me... that's reason #1 in getting new clubs. -- Anything below a 37" is a DOWNGRADE to my 27" box when viewing in fullscreen. Not worth my money. -- Using as a computer monitor/display a lot. Anything below 1080p isn't worth my money. -- Will buy tv of a reputable brand.' The way I figure is that I can easily sell my store credit to someone for 70%-80% of it's value and buy the tv I want which I've been watching and cost about $750-$1000. Personally, I'm waiting for it to drop to $700 until I buy. Or I can buy my custom clubs with my Golfsmith credit. I'll still have about $200 left over which I'll likely sell and put towards my tv. Currently I'm holding out on selling the golfsmith credit at a 10% loss on value if anyone is interested. The longer I can wait, the better I'll be off. TV prices are getting cheaper because of newer technology. My Golfsmith credit will sell much easier when golf season actually starts. It's just that some days I'm fine, and other days I get really impatient. :)

Driver: Tour Burner 9.5° Stock Stiff
Wood: Tour Burner TS 13° Stock Stiff
Hybrid: Tour Burner T2 18° Stock Stiff
Irons: Tour Preferred 3-PW Rifle Project X 6.0
Wedges: 54.10|58.08 Z TP Rifle Spinner 5.5 Putter: VP Mills VP2 Ball: TP/Red.LDP Bag: Warbird Hot Stand Bag 2.0Started playing...

Oh... and I'm in Texas and we've been having AMAZING (but windy weather) with 60s (sometimes 70s) in the afternoons on most days with some cold days in between.

So the sooner I get my clubs, the sooner I get to play with them. I'm lucky enough not to have to wait months for the snow to melt.

Wedges: 54.10|58.08 Z TP Rifle Spinner 5.5 Putter: VP Mills VP2 Ball: TP/Red.LDP Bag: Warbird Hot Stand Bag 2.0Started playing...

No hockey here. We watch football.

In my bag.
Driver-Adams 9.5
3 wood-Adams
5 wood- Wilson Head Speed
6-PW-Wilson Head Speed 3-5-Hybrid-Nike SQ2 Clone SW-Tour Edge Soft cast LW-Maxfli Black Max Froged Putter-Crossfire

If you DONT get new clubs, everytime you come home from a mediocre round with your old clubs you'll have that shiny TV laughing at you.

Get the clubs. Clubs. Clubs. Clubs.

driver: FT-i tlcg 9.5˚ (Matrix Ozik XCONN Stiff)
4 wood: G10 (ProLaunch Red FW stiff)
3 -PW: :Titleist: 695 mb (Rifle flighted 6.0)
wedges:, 52˚, 56˚, 60˚
putter: Studio Select Newport 1.5

What kind of clubs are you looking at getting?

In my bag.
Driver-Adams 9.5
3 wood-Adams
5 wood- Wilson Head Speed
6-PW-Wilson Head Speed 3-5-Hybrid-Nike SQ2 Clone SW-Tour Edge Soft cast LW-Maxfli Black Max Froged Putter-Crossfire

Looking to buy some Taylormade tour preferreds. Tried em out and really liked em.... but having trouble picking out a shaft.

I think I decided on the golf clubs for now. Then hope my new job pans out and get the tv in a couple months maybe.

If you DONT get new clubs, everytime you come home from a mediocre round with your old clubs you'll have that shiny TV laughing at you.

Yeah... I actually already chose golf over tv once this year. My city has a few nice muni's and offers a membership for a year or half a year plus a small charge per round. Already plunked down $515 for six months... and it costs me $2.50 to go walk a round now so I started going a few times a week.

Decided to place my bet that tv prices will drop further on the older models around march april when the new stuff comes out. I should have enough by then to get the tv too.

Prime golf weather is just around the corner, so you might consider clubs. However, I do love my TV - 56" Samsung DLP. Over the air HD is phenomenal! Don't have cable or satellite but my blu-ray player streams netflix. (Something else you might want to look into)

In my Warbird Hot:
Driver: Burner 10.5* Reg Flex
3 Wood: Mercury Golf MR Jumbo 16*
Irons: X-20 4-AW
Putter: 33" Rossa FontanaShoes:Footjoy Contour

We've had a 50" and a 42" plasma for about 4 years. Sure they're great but you get used to it after a while and if you got clubs you would love em and probably like them better and use them more. Plus its a good incentive to play golf

Driver: Taylormade R11 set to 8*
3 Wood: R9 15* Motore Stiff
Hybrid: 19° 909 H Voodoo
Irons: 4-PW AP2 Project X 5.5
52*, 60* Vokey SM Chrome

Putter: Odyssey XG #7

Ball: Titleist Pro V1x

I upgraded this past xmas from a 32" CRT to a 50" Samsung plasma HDTV (720P). I also upgraded my cable service to digital with the HD/DVR set top box. I have to say going from a traditional CRT to my new setup is better than crack! Walmart has some great prices on Samsungs. I got my 50" 720P for $900 and the 1080P version is $1400. I went with the 720P because of the price difference and I'm not disappointed. Naturally LCD's cost more for the same screen size compared to plasma, and if I wanted to use this as a second computer monitor I'd definitely go with the LCD due to screen burn-in. The higher resolution would be good for a computer monitor too, but when watching TV the difference isn't easily noticable. I don't watch much TV as a general rule but the HD programing and the DVR coupled with digital service is a pretty potent combination. I routinely record shows I want to watch and when I do have some time there is always something available I like. Fast forwarding through the commercials (or watching stuff through the free on demand serivce, and yes they do have the Golf Channel on demand) is something that will quickly spoil you to the point of where you don't want to watch shows live.

Nike Vapor Speed driver 12* stock regular shaft
Nike Machspeed 4W 17*, 7W 21* stock stiff shafts
Ping i10 irons 4-9, PW, UW, SW, LW AWT stiff flex
Titleist SC Kombi 35"; Srixon Z Star XV tour yellow

Clicgear 3.0; Sun Mountain Four 5

Haha... looks like the poll results took off... almost 2:1 in favor of the tv.

I decided to wait out my decision until the super bowl. If I find a great deal on a tv in the next couple days that I can have home for the super bowl I may just go with the tv in the end.

But if that doesn't happen... I'll order some clubs and hope an amazing deal doesnt pop up to rub the fact that I can no take advantage of the deal in my face.

Note: This thread is 5540 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!