IGNORED

Calling all TALL golfers!!! Length of your clubs?

Note: This thread is 1677 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

What length clubs to you play? What lie angles do you use with those lengths?

Looking to get some custom fit clubs and curious what others are using? I'm 6'4"/6'5"ish with my shoes on. With about a 39"-40" wrist to floor measurement. I went to two fitters and both said 1" longer and 1* upright. The weird thing to me is that one guy had me hit a few shots on a lie board with tape with an inch longer club and said i need it 1* more upright. The other guy had me do the same thing but with a standard length club and said 1* upright as well. The online fitting things on tgw and golfsmith say for my height/wrist i should be playing 1" or 1.25" longer and 5* upright! Even though they only change as much as 4* in either direction.

So I'm just curious what the other tall guys are playing.

Also... how many of you play standard size wedges and get made fun of for looking like you're hitting with "baby clubs" ?

Guess while I'm here I might as well ask too.... any of you guys notice more distance on your shots after you made em longer?

BTW... someone chime in and let me know how much if any trouble it is to change the lie on a club after they are already made...

Driver: Tour Burner 9.5° Stock Stiff
Wood: Tour Burner TS 13° Stock Stiff
Hybrid: Tour Burner T2 18° Stock Stiff
Irons: Tour Preferred 3-PW Rifle Project X 6.0
Wedges: 54.10|58.08 Z TP Rifle Spinner 5.5 Putter: VP Mills VP2 Ball: TP/Red.LDP Bag: Warbird Hot Stand Bag 2.0Started playing...

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am not tall, 6'2, but my Irons are one inch over standard. My lie angles i belive are 2 degrees upright. Just because they are longer does not mean they need a drastic change, it depends more on your hand position at impact. On the wedges, i left them normal lenght, played with one that had been extended an inch, and just felt really weird.

You may also want to look at midsize or over size grips..

|Callaway FT-9 Tour Neutral 9.5 Diamana BlueBoard| TaylorMade TourLaunch 14.5 Matrix Ozik F7M2 X| Adams Idea Pro 20 Matrix Ozik Altus X| Mizuno MP-32 4-PW TTDG S300|Titleist Vokey 50| Tour Issue Titleist Black Ni Vokey SM 54|Callaway X Forged 62 || Kirk Currie Brazos| Callaway Tour IX/...

6-2/6-3 here, standard length. lies are about 1-2 up from standard.

Avg new lie(2-p)

mine...

Lie

every swing is different though. you maybe flat at impact of the swing... leading to flater lies and maybe even shorter lengths. it all depends.
G5,9
F-50,13.5
MP33(2-9)
SM,54.11MP-T,60.05Anser 2

You may also want to look at midsize or over size grips..

yeah... my hands are odd shaped i think. I still haven't found a glove that fits my whole hand perfectly. Anywhere from medium to large may fit better in some ways or others. Tried both cadet and regular... same story.

standard grips are definitely too small but a lot of sizing charts say i "need" a standard size.... midsize felt good, but havent tried one out on an actually club yet.

Wedges: 54.10|58.08 Z TP Rifle Spinner 5.5 Putter: VP Mills VP2 Ball: TP/Red.LDP Bag: Warbird Hot Stand Bag 2.0Started playing...

I would say at least an inch over standard for your set. You may even feel comfortable with 1.5" over. As far as grips, you need midsize to oversize im guessing. Unless you have very small hands for your height your going to feel much better with a larger grip.

What length clubs to you play? What lie angles do you use with those lengths?

I am 6'4" to 6'4.5" with golf shoes on. I forget my wrist to floor measurement. I am playing +1.5 inches, but I like choking down with my irons, so they really play to +1 inch. I also play 3 degrees up for my lie. I may get my clubs bent a degree down in my short irons because I don't want to miss them left. However, 3 degrees upright and +1" are right for me.

I don't know off the top of my head what you should be playing, but 1.25 to 1.5 inches with 4* upright sounds good. 5 degrees seems a little extreme to me. With forged clubs, you will have no problem changing the lie after purchase. With most cast clubs, there will me some limitiation depending on which model. I just made custom wedges for myself. +1.25" I think I made them. I don't like choking down as much with wedges, so I didn't want to go +1.5". They will be bent 2* upright. I asked one of my tall friends if I should get custom wedges and he said, "No." He claimed that it ruins the feel of a wedge, but he plays custom irons so what the heck. I figure that I should not be playing a club made for an average male. You and I are not average sized males. We don't wear a button up shirt made for a short guy, so why should we play clubs made for a short guy? Get clubs meant for you. I didn't really notice that big of a distance jump with my longer clubs. I am still getting used to them and starting to hit them longer now. With a longer shaft, you'll get an increased swing weight which can limit distance. (You'll be swinging a heavier club, so it cannot be swung as hard.) However, the greater lenth of the club probably offsets this.

In my Ogio Ozone Bag:
TM Superquad 9.5* UST Proforce 77g Stiff
15* Sonartec SS-2.5 (Pershing stiff)
19* TM Burner (stock stiff)
4-U - PING i10 White dot, +1.25 inches, ZZ65 stiff shafts55*/11* Snake Eyes Form Forged (DGS300)60*/12* Snake Eyes Form Forged (DGS300)Ping i10 1/2 MoonTitleist ProV1

I am 6'4" to 6'4.5" with golf shoes on. I forget my wrist to floor measurement. I am playing +1.5 inches, but I like choking down with my irons, so they really play to +1 inch. I also play 3 degrees up for my lie.

Are you suggesting that a more upright lie promotes the ball in a leftward direction?

Are you suggesting that a more upright lie promotes the ball in a leftward direction?

Yes. Without a doubt (assuming you are a righty). The more upright the club is, the more likely it will go left. The flatter the lie, the more right the ball will go. It is why custom fitting is so important. You can have a perfect swing and if the lies are not for your build, then your result can be bad.

In my Ogio Ozone Bag:
4-U - PING i10 White dot, +1.25 inches, ZZ65 stiff shafts55*/11* Snake Eyes Form Forged (DGS300)60*/12* Snake Eyes Form Forged (DGS300)Ping i10 1/2 MoonTitleist ProV1

Yes. Without a doubt (assuming you are a righty). The more upright the club is, the more likely it will go left. The flatter the lie, the more right the ball will go. It is why custom fitting is so important. You can have a perfect swing and if the lies are not for your build, then your result can be bad.

Very interesting. Just to clarify.... by left do you mean pulling the ball left, or the ball hooking left?

Very interesting. Just to clarify.... by left do you mean pulling the ball left, or the ball hooking left?

Let me just clarify what I said...or meant to say. Lies that are

too upright or flat will result in balls going left or right, respectively. They would most likely be a slight pull with a slight draw.

In my Ogio Ozone Bag:

I am 6'4.5" tall without shoes, and my wrist is 37 off of the ground (measured to the first crease above the thumb). I also have a 34 inch inseam (very short inseam for my height). My clubs are 1" long and 4 up. I am considering bending to 3 up but that decision isn't made. My wedges are 1" long and 1 up. I did notice lessons reduced my need for some of the upright, which is why I am considering taking some lie out of my irons.

In the bag:
Driver: Rapture V2, 9 degree, stiff shaft
Fairway Woods: X-Hot 3 wood
Hybrid: 3H
Irons: J36 PC 4-PW Project X 6.0 Shafts, FlightedWedges: CG14, 50 54 and 58 degree Putter: Guerin Rife 2 Bar with Winn grip B330S Pro V1x

Let me just clarify what I said...or meant to say. Lies that are

As I understand it, if you don't have enough lie (not upright enough) the toe will hit first, opening the face causing the ball to go right. If you have too much, your heel will hit first, closing the face, causing it to go left.

In the bag:
Driver: Rapture V2, 9 degree, stiff shaft
Fairway Woods: X-Hot 3 wood
Hybrid: 3H
Irons: J36 PC 4-PW Project X 6.0 Shafts, FlightedWedges: CG14, 50 54 and 58 degree Putter: Guerin Rife 2 Bar with Winn grip B330S Pro V1x

I am 6'4.5" tall without shoes, and my wrist is 37 off of the ground (measured to the first crease above the thumb). I also have a 34 inch inseam (very short inseam for my height). My clubs are 1" long and 4 up. I am considering bending to 3 up but that decision isn't made. My wedges are 1" long and 1 up. I did notice lessons reduced my need for some of the upright, which is why I am considering taking some lie out of my irons.

Awesome that you responded here.... i see you're about my level and tall as well so I find it all very helpful.

I made this thread mostly out of curiosity, but now I realize I really do need to go get PROPERLY fit. I'm learning a bunch more about the different reasons equipment-wise why the balls do some things. Though since I've never had a proper lesson... the blame can rest on me to. My irons ball flight is always a fade. I never hook an iron. And since changing a few things, it's actually a very nice looking fade (not a banana slice type deal.) I demo'd clubs for the first time the other day with steel shafts and hit so much straighter (currently I have graphite uniflex shafts) so I figured it had to do some with the stiffness of my club. Didn't realize the lie may have an impact as well. (Though I can't eliminate myself as a suspect either! But since demoing I'm less suspicious of myself.)

i am 6'4 1/2" tall and i play with standard length clubs. no adjustments in length and loft/lie angles. i play em standard and i don't mind the way they play, i am actually quite a pure ball striker.

In my Diablo Edge Tour/ Titliest Stand Bag:
Driver: Nike VR Pro 8.5* w/ Myazaki 43g X
3 Wood: Nike VR Pro II 13.5* w/ Diamana Whiteboard 83g X
5 Wood: Cobra S9-1 Pro 18* w/ Diamana Whiteboard 83g X

Hybrid: Mizuno MP Fli-Hi 21* w/ Prolaunch Red X
Irons: 4-7 Titleist 712 CB, 8-9 712 MB w/ TT Dynamic Gold X100

Wedges: 46* Vokey SM4, 54* Vokey SM4, 60* TMade ATV

Putter: Scotty Cameron Newport 2 Belly 43"

can't remember for sure, but I think I'm playing clubs that are +1" or 3/4" and upright 1* or 2*... definately a little longer and little more upright, except for my 3-wood and driver.

for the record I'm 6'4" barefoot.
My Clubs: Callaway FT-i Tour LCG 9.5° w/ Matrix Ozik Xcon 6 stiff; Sonartec GS Tour 14° w/ Graphite Design Red Ice 70 stiff; Adams Idea Pro 2h(18°) & 3h(20°) w/ Aldila VS Proto 80 stiff; Adams Idea Pro Forged 4-PW w/ TT Black Gold stiff; Cleveland CG12 DSG RTG 52°-10° & 58°-10°; Odyssey...

As I understand it, if you don't have enough lie (not upright enough) the toe will hit first, opening the face causing the ball to go right. If you have too much, your heel will hit first, closing the face, causing it to go left.

Not exactly. Here's the best picture that I found to explain it.

http://www.dy-no.com/images/lie_angle_illustration.jpg I really don't know how to describe what is happening. If you search google or youtube, there are some good explanations. I think Ralph Maltby made a pretty good video about it.

In my Ogio Ozone Bag:

Note: This thread is 1677 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!