IGNORED

Calling all TALL golfers!!! Length of your clubs?

Note: This thread is 1677 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hm... So since it has an interchangeable hosel, would I still need to get an extra tall club or would I be able to get a "standard length" and be able to adjust?

As seen here: http://www.overstock.com/Sports-Toys/Nickent-Mens-Golf-4DX-Evolver-Driver/5937242/product.html?cid=202290&kid;=9553000357392&track;=pspla&ef;_id=UPQGgwAARNpc22RJ:20130417142758:s

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Whichever driver you decide to purchase, the length is going to be a standard which is going to be 45"-45.5". Many golfers prefer a driver that is 44.5"-45.5" though. The shorter the shaft, the easier the club is to control and the more fairways you will hit with a predictable ball flight (less spraying). The downfall to a shorter shaft is a distance loss, but typical losses from 45.5" to 44.5" are 10-20 yards depending on the person. Again, if you get a driver that is any longer, you will most likely not be able to control it and you will be making the driving part of your game much more difficult than necessary.

Do you know your swing speed with the driver yet? If not, you definitely need to have an idea before you make an 'off the shelf' purchase. The shaft and shaft flex in the driver you purchase is going to be one of the most important factors in determining your control and ball flight.

The two links that you provided are different as well. One is for a left-handed club (Stiff flex) and the other is for a right-handed club (Senior flex).

Also, keep in mind that you can pick up a used driver at your local golf shop (such as Golfsmith or Golf Galaxy) for right around the price you're looking for. Most of these drivers will also have modern technology in terms of interchangeable shaft and Open/Neutral/Closed face settings.

I am 6 2 and my clubs are standard length because I have long arms. When I was getting fitted I tried longer but then started hooking everything and hitting off center. My lie is 2+ with 2 wraps under my gripa

Dan. Go to Golftec or someplace similar and get fit. It all depends on your stance, posture, and most importantly the distance of your wrists to the floor (standard way they measure). Many tall folks with long arms can use standard clubs or ones just slightly over. Take the time and get it right the first time. Do not let a non professional fit you.

Titleist 915 9.5 w/GD AD-DI shaft Callaway Big Bertha Alpha 14 degree FW wood Ping Anser hybrid 19 degree Mizuno JPX 850 Forged 4-pw or Callaway Apex Titleist Vokey SM5 50, 54, 58, (62) Edel E3 Putter ES14 launch monitor ARCCOS

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• 10 months later...

I just want to apologize in advance if what I think has been said over and over again, but I didn't have time to read all 95 previous responses.

I am in my early 30s and have played since I was 12 or 13, but more seriously in college.  I'm 6'5", big and athletic frame (not skinny like Keegan or Dustin Johnson).  When I got a custom fitting in college I was fitted at 1.5" inches over standard.  I have used those clubs while until this year (I was away from the game for about 4 years while living out of the country).  When I started playing again, I chopped the top have inch off in the beginning of the year and it made a huge difference in my ball striking consistency (not over night, but over the first half of the season when I got my accustomed to them).  I bought a new cheap set of irons to experiment with played those at .5" inch long and again my ball striking improved within a few weeks.  I don't think I could go any shorter.  It is all about control for me.

I know everyone's swing is different, but I think for most taller players we should be playing shorter irons than we think.  As tall guys we think we need bigger everything in life and our golf clubs are no different.  I remember getting my clubs made to 1.5" inches over standard gave me some satisfaction just knowing I could (I was young).  The other point I will make is even the taller pros don't play anything over an .5".  Els, Keegan, and Bob Tway play standard length and Bubba Watson and Dustin Johnson use .5".  Just my thoughts and experience.

I am 6' 4" and slender. For years I played 1 inch longer an 2 degrees upright. When I was fitted 10 years ago they did it 3/4 of an inch longer and 3 degrees upright. I feel this is comfortable and have re-ordered this ever since. I agree with the comments about shorter drivers, better for control. All my woods are off the rack length. I should be using a slightly longer putter maybe, but again what I have is comfortable at 35 inches.

—Adam

• 1 year later...

Just found this thread.  6' 6 1/2" 40" wrist to floor.  My old irons were 1.5" over and 4 degrees upright.  They were stolen from my car.  A buddy of mine is 6'7" with longer arms (he wears a 39" sleeve in his dress shirts, I wear between 37 and 38).  He's also a total club w h o r e so he assembled a complete bag for me (D, 3W, Hackstick, irons, wedges, putter).  The irons are Henry Griffitts blades, 3" over and I think 4 degrees upright.  The wedges are 2.5" over, 2 degrees upright.  I just replaced them (old Clevelands), matching them with Cleveland's current offering.  The shaft is 2" long, and they add a 0.5" extension.

I recently played a goof off round with borrowed, standard length clubs.  Nightmare how cramped and bent over I had to be to get to the ball.  Impossible to make a natural turn and move on the ball.

Just found this thread.  6' 6 1/2" 40" wrist to floor.  My old irons were 1.5" over and 4 degrees upright.  They were stolen from my car.  A buddy of mine is 6'7" with longer arms (he wears a 39" sleeve in his dress shirts, I wear between 37 and 38).  He's also a total club w h o r e so he assembled a complete bag for me (D, 3W, Hackstick, irons, wedges, putter).  The irons are Henry Griffitts blades, 3" over and I think 4 degrees upright.  The wedges are 2.5" over, 2 degrees upright.  I just replaced them (old Clevelands), matching them with Cleveland's current offering.  The shaft is 2" long, and they add a 0.5" extension. I recently played a goof off round with borrowed, standard length clubs.  Nightmare how cramped and bent over I had to be to get to the ball.  Impossible to make a natural turn and move on the ball.

I am 6'5" ish, I don't wear dress shirts but my arms are very long, I have a 35.5" wrist to floor, my wingspan is 6'9" to 6'10", so I can play standard length clubs, but I'm currently playing 1/2" longer in my Exotics CU irons, I haven't had time to bend them (nor the funds)... But my Dynamic fitting should be playing 2° upright... Maybe that's why I hit the ball so damned high, I'm hunched over too much playing basically standard length clubs...

What's in Shane's Bag?     

Ball: 2022 :callaway: Chrome Soft Triple Track Driver: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond 8° MCA Kai’li 70s FW: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond  H: :callaway: Apex Pro 21 20°I (3-PW) :callaway: Apex 21 UST Recoil 95 (3), Recoil 110 (4-PW). Wedges: :callaway: Jaws Raw 50°, 54°, 60° UST Recoil 110 Putter: :odyssey: Tri-Hot 5K Triple Wide 35”

I'm 6'3, Ping S55 Yellow dot +1/2". Aerotech 110 shafts

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

I'm 6'4" and have been playing for 40 years. First 20 years -- steel shafts on irons, standard length. Last 20 years -- graphite shafts, one extra inch, 3 degrees upright.

Hasn't made a huge difference in scores, but only because I don't practice enough to make a difference. But I do hit the ball more consistently because of the lie angle.

There's a school of thought that says your height is not the determining factor, but rather the distance between your hands and the ground. In other words, a tall golfer with long arms and a golfer of average height could both use standard length irons if their hands (measured from the fingertips) were the same distance from the ground. I think that's why the Ping fitting chart suggests measuring from your fingertips to the floor, with your hands at your sides.

Sounds good in theory, but I don't buy it. I have long arms but still like the longer irons. With standard length irons it just feels like I'm hunched over too far. Driver and hybrids are standard length.

Just my .02 worth.

What's in the bag:
Driver: TaylorMade Rocketballz (non-adjustable), 10.5 degrees, stock graphite shaft R flex
Hybrids: Kasco, 17 and 25 degrees, stock graphite shafts
Irons: Golfsmith Tour Cavity Forged, 4-PW, graphite shafts R, 2 degrees upright
Wedges: TaylorMade Black Oxide, 52, 56, and 60 degrees, graphite shafts
Putter: Rife Barbados w/SuperStroke grip 
Ball: Bridgestone RXS

• 1 month later...

I'm 6'5" and I use standard lie and length golf club I really hit toe first. Here is my golf swing with a 6 iron.

I have a set of silver dots, +1.75 I bought used from someone else I hit them far but too spinny and left. 

I think I am used to the length of my clubs and I'm thinking of cutting my silver dots at standard length, it will help me put my hands higher address as right now I fight to have them lie flat on the ground. Plus I don't need the extra distance, I measured every club on a flightscope and when I grip it at +1.75, I get a 100mph+ swingspeed with 6 iron witch is absurd as the ball takes off with a lot of spin and ballons out.

Edited by ygmondoux

6' . Cobra Bio Cell irons, men's graphite shafts +1". The added length I know has given me added distance, however, it has added swing weight. Driver: cut to 44.5" for control.

Julia

:callaway:  :cobra:    :seemore:  :bushnell:  :clicgear:  :adidas:  :footjoy:

Spoiler

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha w/ Fubuki Z50 R 44.5"
FW: Cobra BiO CELL 14.5 degree; 
Hybrids: Cobra BiO CELL 22.5 degree Project X R-flex
Irons: Cobra BiO CELL 5 - GW Project X R-Flex
Wedges: Cobra BiO CELL SW, Fly-Z LW, 64* Callaway PM Grind.
Putter: 48" Odyssey Dart

I got fit for a new set of Nike Pro Combos a few months ago.  I'm just under 6'3" and my static measurements had me at 2˚ upright with +3/4" to +1".  My fitter said I'm a "dynamically upright" swinger and gave me +1.5" clubs.

I figured that might be more a swing fault than something I want to get fit to, but I don't mind choking up a bit so I can always do that later if I find I need to.  As of now I LOVE the new clubs and extra length.  Feel so much more comfortable not as hunched over.  Of course, I don't get to play a ton these days so my scores have gotten worse instead of better.  Though my good shots feel better and like they'll be more repeatable when I have time to practice enough...

Matt

Mid-Weight Heavy Putter
Cleveland Tour Action 60˚
Cleveland CG15 54˚
Nike Vapor Pro Combo, 4i-GW
Titleist 585h 19˚
Tour Edge Exotics XCG 15˚ 3 Wood
Taylormade R7 Quad 9.5˚

• 3 years later...

Old post, but jeeze. There are some short arms here. I'm 6'4 in shoes. I am 36 1/2" wrists to floor. I use all standard length too. I'd imagine long arms to height ratio is an advantage, especially in tall players. It's actually pretty easy to notice. The most extreme examples and the fingers will almost reach the knees. Watch the NBA. Especially in shorter players. They have crazy arms. I was just looking at Finau. He has that going on. Rory has really short arms, but he's a little guy. Hmm, just a thought.

Note: This thread is 1677 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!