IGNORED

Who has the best swing and worst swing on tour?

Chilidipper
Note: This thread is 4684 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Fred Couples with the best, no doubt. Just looks so smooth. Oddly though, I saw a show on the Golf Channel with Tony Jacklin and his swing looks even smoother... I would love to have seen it when he was younger.

I was fortunate enough to watch Tony Jacklin play an 18 hole exhibition match with Billy Casper in 1970, after Tony had won the Open Championship in 1969 and the US Open at Hazeltine in 1970. The match was at the Thendara Golf Course in Old Forge, NY, in the Adirondacks. Both he and Billy were in their primes and put on a great show, and both played under par. Jacklin's swing was very smooth, and very simple. After he hit the big time, he admits that he spent too much time working on his classic cars and doing endorsement deals. It sounds like he lost some of his desire. However, he became the Ryder Cup Captain that made the Euros believe they could beat the US, and his record is incredible!

Mitch Pezdek------Dash Aficionado and Legend in My Own Mind

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

While no player's swing on tour is bad, the one i like the most has to be Tiger's, or Davis Love III's. The one I dislike the most is Camilo Villegas. One of my favorite players, but he can thrash so hard at the ball and it costs him so much accuracy.
In The Bag

Titleist 905T 9.5°
Nike Sumo2 15°
Nike Sumo2 19°Nike Forged Irons - 3-PW Titleist Bob Vokey Spin Milled 56°10°Scotty Cameron Pro Platinum Newport 2

I like Tigers swing but I really like Camillos swing for some reason. I guess its the power he puts into the swing.

The swing I dislike is Phil Mickelson's.

Nike SQ 9.5 w/ ProLaunch Red
Titliest 906F2 15
Miura 202 3-5 Irons
Miura Blade 6-PW Irons
Mizuno MP 51 & 56Yes! Tracy IINike One Black

After watching the Tour yesterday, I found Camilo's swing to be fairly awful. There is nothing smooth or fluid about it. I did like his takeaway but his need to just wail away on every swing seems kind of hackerish. I wonder if a swing like that holds up for a tournament, season or career.
In my bag:
Driver : 905R 9.5*
3 Wood: Big Bertha Titanium 15*
5 Wood: Big Bertha Titanium 19*
Irons : 755Wedges: Vokey 50* Wedges: 588 DSG 56* Putter: 2 Ball Lined Blade 35Ball : ProV1

I would love to have Aaron Baddeley's swing....It looks so simple and easy.

The finish is great also.....

I have to be honest, if I had to review swings all day it would be Natalie Gulbis!!!!

G10 Driver
G5 3 wood
G5 5 wood
G10 21,24,28 & 32 Hybrids
2010 710 AP2 7-PW w/DG300SVokey 58 & 52 2009 Spin Milled 2 Ball Blade 34" ProV1 2009 Pioneer Bag

OK...Check out John Dalys swing. It is just amazing how flexable this guy is to be as big as he is.

Those pictures were taken back in 1991 at the International (the PGA tour stop in Colorado). He was a lot younger then and a lot thinner. The amazing thing is that he is still almost that flexible today. Amazing for a rotund person (I know I was never that flexible).

Those pictures were taken back in 1991 at the International (the PGA tour stop in Colorado). He was a lot younger then and a lot thinner. The amazing thing is that he is still almost that flexible today. Amazing for a rotund person (I know I was never that flexible).

Yep, he can still twist it for a fat man. I scanned these pics out of his book "grip it and rip it". He tells in the book how he got this flexible.

I forgot where I seen it on TV, but someone caught him on some show out on a course I think in Ark with no shirt/shoes with that big ole belly, but yet he was still able to get those shoulders around better than some of the current "card holders".

Yep, he can still twist it for a fat man. I scanned these pics out of his book "grip it and rip it". He tells in the book how he got this flexible.

So how did he get his flexibility? For a guy who has limited flexibility EG 3/4 swing for all shots and sometimes even less, I've got to know! Thanks!

So how did he get his flexibility? For a guy who has limited flexibility EG 3/4 swing for all shots and sometimes even less, I've got to know!

He recommends swinging a long, weighted club as a training tool to develop your spinal flexibility. Buy or make one that weighs about 5 pounds and an inch or so longer than the standard driver and swing it everyday as a stretching exercise. He says in two months you should see a noticeable difference.

He recommends swinging a long, weighted club as a training tool to develop your spinal flexibility. Buy or make one that weighs about 5 pounds and an inch or so longer than the standard driver and swing it everyday as a stretching exercise. He says in two months you should see a noticeable difference.

You are right. As I recall, when he first played golf, he was trying to use adult clubs, and because of that, he developed the swing that he has to this day. One of the most amazing shots that I ever saw him hit on TV was in the 1991 Grand Slam of Golf. He was there as the PGA Champ, along with Payne (US Open), Woosie (Masters) and Baker-Finch (Open Championship). On one hole, the fairway narrowed down in the "landing area" to about 15-20 yards, and was that narrow out at 320 yards or so. The announcers said that everyone would lay up, except "maybe the Razorback". Sure enough, he gripped it and ripped it, and put the ball in the middle of that "tongue of a fairway". You do not win 2 Majors without having a complete game, including accuracy. What a wasted talent.

Mitch Pezdek------Dash Aficionado and Legend in My Own Mind

...... What a wasted talent.

You are right about that. It is a crying shame when anyone with such a God given talent throws it all away. But you know, sometimes it is for the best. I had a guy in my high school that was a outstanding All-American linebacker that recieved a scholarship to Georgia then was drafted in the first round of the NFL but never played a game because of his "partying". He was released then came back home, staightened his life up, got married, now he is a wonderful husband, father, businessman and now a deacon in our church. So sometimes it may be for the best in the long run.

So true.

I go to a golf school and here is what I see:

A guy that claims to have a +3 handicap that only played for 4 years that sits at home all day and watches sitcoms. His goal is to make it on the pga tour. He practices maybe 30 minutes every 2 weeks. He shoots even par or low 70s on a good day on easy courses. On harder courses he can't break 80. He thinks he has too much talent so he doesn't need to practice. I can already tell that he'll never make it.

I know another kid who has a rich father that wants to make it on the tour. He used to be a +1. The kid spent over $100,000 on lessons with a top instructor, tried to play one tournament as a pro and didn't make the cut. After that he became a drug junkie. He is now still doing drugs and never practices, but still believes that he can beat Tiger woods when in reality he can't even break 80 on a good day.

I know literally 50 more examples of guys with a ton of talent that don't want it bad enough and aren't mentally strong because everything was handed to them since birth. They do drugs, party and never practice because they believe they don't need to because they can live off of daddies money for the rest of their lives.

These are the people that will never succeed.

Desire will always beat talent.

Golf is a game in which the ball always lies poorly and the player always lies well.

i personally love Kenny Perry's swing
Its like hes pulling back a rubberband at the top with the transition.. It doesnt jerk to a stop...it sort of slows down just like pulling a rubber band farther back.

Ugliest?

The robo golfers IMO. Ive always thought that the best players have always had sort of quirks about their swings. These guys who all have the exact same "perfect" swing will never go very far imo.

i personally love Kenny Perry's swing

Anyone spring to mind?

TaylorMade R9 460 9.5°
TaylorMade R9 13°
TaylorMade RAC TP MB 3-PW
TaylorMade RAC TP 54°.10 / 58°.10
Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2

My favourite swing has to be Raphael Jacquelin, it looks as though he is only trying to hit it ten yards, poetry in motion

My least favourite has to be JB Holmes, it is just hideous to watch and just looks out of control. He just looks as though he cant do anything but swing very hard!! And when you consider that for example Paul Casey does not hit it much shorter than him, and his swing is controlled and lovely to watch!!!

Driver - 905r 9.5* with UST Proforce VT Stiff
3 Wood - SQ 3+ 13* with Grafallloy prolaunch blue Stiff
5 Wood - SQ 5* 19 with Aldila NV65 stiff
Irons - MP 67 3 + 5-PW 2deg Up + 1/2" with DG S300 shaft.
Wedges - SV 52/10 with true temper s400 BV Spin Milled 56/10 Wedge Flex BV Spin Milled 60/04...

Wow. Just looked up Raphael Jacquelin on YouTube and his swing is soooo smooth. It looks so effortless but still goes a mile.

- Tour Issue Taylormade R7 Superquad TP Matrix Ozik Xcon 5 X-stiff
- Nike Dymo 3 Wood UST Axivcore Stiff
- Nike Dymo 5 Wood UST Axivcore Stiff- Nike Blades 3-PW S300- Nike SV Tour 50* 54* 58* S400- Titleist Scotty Cameron Newport Beach- Nike Tour D

Anyone spring to mind?

No. Just your average PGA tour pro. Ive been to the Buick Open several times and the Western Open and there are tons of guys who have "perfect" swings who youve never heard of because you watch them and they just dont have "it" Seems like all the greatest players have had little different things in their swings.

Note: This thread is 4684 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!