IGNORED

Who has the best swing and worst swing on tour?

Chilidipper
Note: This thread is 4684 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

i know they're obviously not on tour now, but i was watching a tape of shell's wonderful world of golf last night, and it was palmer vs boros, and palmer had a swing that looks like it'd just not work at all - all super quick and the club ending up wobbling around over his head in the follow through. arnie managed to make it work, but i almost couldn't stand to watch him swing on that video, especially when he got put next to boros, who had a real smooth, super relaxed swing.

I don't know best or worst but here are my favorite swings. I like unique swings that work well for the player. They are very artistic to me.

Fred Couples
Jack Nicklaus
Lee Trevino
John Daly

I'm down to a 10 handicap. At this rate, I'll get to scratch at 90 years old!

The best or most classic I've seen would be Elkington, McIlroy, and Charles Howell III. Jonathen Byrd's swing is tight as a drum. I was caddying at a Buy.com qualifier in 01 or 02 and I got to watch him hit balls for 20 minuets, gorgeous swing.

I have a hard time calling any PGA tour players swing bad. I know its the norm in other sports, namely football for fans to sit around and talk about how terrible an athelete plays.

In our case we actually play golf, and you dont get on the major tours by just signing up.

The best or most classic I've seen would be Elkington, McIlroy, and Charles Howell III. Jonathen Byrd's swing is tight as a drum. I was caddying at a Buy.com qualifier in 01 or 02 and I got to watch him hit balls for 20 minuets, gorgeous swing.

I have a hard time calling any PGA tour players swing bad. I know its the norm in other sports, namely football for fans to sit around and talk about how terrible an athelete plays.

In our case we actually play golf, and you dont get on the major tours by just signing up.

• 2 weeks later...
obviously Tiger's is the best, but the worst is Jeev Milkha Singh. It's just weird.

"One of the reasons Arnie Palmer is playing so well is that, before each final round, his wife takes out his balls and kisses them. Oh my God, what have I just said."
US Open TV Commentator

S9-1 Pro D Driver 9.5 Degree Matrix Ozik XCON-6
CGB 3WPro Baffler 2/R 2HybridMP-37 Project X 6.0Vokey...

Adam Scott best

Two Gloves worst

Driver: TaylorMade R9 TP 9.5* Diamana WhiteBoard Stiff
Wood: Titleist 904F 15* Diamana WhiteBoard Stiff
Hybrid: Cobra Baffler Pro 20* Fuijikura Speeder Stiff
Irons: Titleist 710 AP2 4-PW True Temper DG X100
Wedges: Srixon WG-504 52*, CG 12 Chrome 58*, Callaway X Forged 64*

Putter: Nike Unitized 35"

I have to change my answer: The best swing is Tiger's cause he is no.1 so it obviously works the best. The worst is whoever is the last on tour casue their swing got them in last place. JMHO.

In My Hank Haney IJGA Bag
Driver: FT Tour 9.5 w/ Aldila Voodoo Stiff
3 Wood: i15 15.5 w/ avixcore red stiff
Hybrids: Rescue 09 19, 22 w/ fujikara fit on stiff
Irons: 4 & 5 MP-52, 6-PW MP-58 w/ KBS Tour Stiff Wedges: MP T-10 52*, 58* w/ KBS Tour StiifPutter: Fastback 1 34 inBall: : Pro...

There are no worst swings on tour, and barring a couple people I've seen on here, i'm pretty sure anyone that qualifies for a pga event could drag pretty much all(not 100 percent) around a course.
I think Furyk has one of the best swings on tour, I mean look how unorthodox it is, yet he still manages to square the club face as consistently as anyone.

I'm a huge Poutler fan, so there might be some bias in this post, but I really love his swing. He's a little quick with his takeaway, but it looks so smooth.

obviously Tiger's is the best, but the worst is Jeev Milkha Singh. It's just weird.

Correct - Singh's reminds me of some old guys that play golf at the weekend - just hideous to watch, but isn't JMS pretty long?

TaylorMade R9 460 9.5°
TaylorMade R9 13°
TaylorMade RAC TP MB 3-PW
TaylorMade RAC TP 54°.10 / 58°.10
Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2

Even though I am more of a two plane swinger, I really love Anthony Kim's and Jonathon Byrd's Ben Hogan like swings, so simple and extremely effective

Nike SQ 460 9.5 Stiff
Nike SQ 3 Wood 15* Stiff
Titleist 585H 19* DG S300
Mizuno MP33 3-PW DG S300
Bob Vokey 54.10* & 60.04*Scotty Cameron Studio Stainless Newport 2

Jeev (who I think has the equivalent of Knighthood in India) is very accurate with his irons, and has a super short game. He can score and play very consistently. I would not say he is overly long by modern pro standards. He just hits every shot well, it seems. If you saw him hit a ball up close, you would notice a very nice tempo that produces crisp shots. He is also a stamina man, playing in a lots of tournaments. He was a very humble and nice guy, but I have not seen him lately, except on TV. World ranking was #29 last I checked.

His swing is different looking but hasn't change perceptively over the years. He gets into a great impact position and can repeat his swing with ease. His parents were athletes of renown, and apparently the motor skill was passed on.

RC

best swing: tiger even though hardly anyone will be able to even half replicate
worst swing: jim furyk but that is a bit obvious so id say kenny perry!

Cobra S2 Driver
Nike SQ 3 Wood
Nike Sumo SQ 3 Hybrid
Callaway X-16 Irons 3-PW
Nike Victory Red 56 and 60 WedgesScotty Cameron Newport 1.5 Putter

• 2 years later...

What's the best?  Is it most effective or best to look at?  I love Dustin Johnson's swing - full of intent and aggression.  Freddy Couples does have a beautiful swing, as does Weekley.

Worst?  You mean ugliest?  Hard to argue with either Furyk or Parry.  Doesn't mean they're poor golfers though - far from it.

Driver  Superfast 9.5 Aldila NV 65 stiff

Hybrid  Launcher Hybrid 20.5 Fujikura Stiff

Irons  Eye 2 2 iron  X-20 Tour Project X 3-PW 

Wedges  Vokey 52* & 56*  60*

Putter  20-20a 

Best looking IMO: Tiger

Worst: 2 Gloves

:tmade: SLDR X-Stiff 12.5°
:nike:VRS Covert 3 Wood Stiff
:nike:VRS Covert 3 Hybrid Stiff
:nike:VR Pro Combo CB 4 - PW Stiff 2° Flat
:cleveland:588RTX CB 50.10 GW
:cleveland:588RTX CB 54.10 SW
:nike:VR V-Rev 60.8 LW
:nike:Method 002 Putter

I realize this is purely subjective, but:

Worst (meaning swing I would never emulate): Tiger, Phil, Fowler, Bubba, AK,  probably a few others who look like they're setting themselves for injury on every swing

Best (meaning a swing I would emulate - one that could work for a lifetime): McIlroy, Stricker, Watson (not the swing from his prime - his current one),

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

Note: This thread is 4684 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!