IGNORED

Gary McCord................

MSDOGS1976
Note: This thread is 4322 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I dont mind him although you could tell it was a little awkward with the whole bird thing.

IMO it should be faldo chamblee nobilo and oosterhouse(SP*****) as the color guys. I dunno about you guys but I dont mind the whole character thing if its coming from a player. If it comes from some color guy who doesnt even play golf and knows nothing then I get irritated. Kelly Tilghman blows though.

IMO McCord is a flake who is far to in love with the sound of his own voice. There is a good reason whey he's persona non grata at the Augusta National. He just doesn't fit the traditional style of broadcasting that epitomizes the Masters.

And he IS getting worse. That ramble about the coots and the shovelers yesterday was beyond just "over the top". Guess they had to wait for the next group to tee off on 16 so they'd have something to show... that seems to be the main focus on their broadcast of this tournament, just like the 17th is the only hole they ever really seem to want to show or talk about at Sawgrass. In my opinion PGA tournament coverage is in a downward spiral approaching terminal velocity. They lock onto 2 or 3 golfers plus one "signature" hole and that's almost all we see for 4 days of the tournament. It's become a complete yawner, and at one time I used to watch every tournament with total focus. Now I just flash past now and then except for the majors. I only happened to catch the nonsense about the ducks because I was setting up the house for my weekly poker group and the TV just happened to be on the Golf Channel.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I really enjoyed Shell's Wonderful World of Golf. You got a sense of the match. Admittedly, due to time, they would often say, "We now skip forward to the 12th hole (or whatever)" and I would be disappointed we missed part of the battle. However, those old shows were generally pretty well produced and ahead of their time in value as golf telecasts. They did a lot with very little technology.

RC

Give me more of David Feherty any day!! And if not David, then Renton, Warren and Julian. And if not my fave Euro trio, then Frank and Brandel. But puleeze...no more Rich [can I find another cutzy metaphor] Lerner!

I'm not a huge fan of Feherty, but he does come in smaller and more tolerable doses. I do agree that Renton, Warren, Julian, Frank, and Brandel are much more enjoyable to listen too. No nonsense crap, just golf. I think CBS has the impression that they must try to entertain non-golfing type viewers to keep their interest. But non-golfers are not going to watch much golf anyway. Oh well, good to see I'm not the only one who can't tolerate McCord.

Sub 70 849 9* driver

:callaway:  Rogue 3 & 5 woods, Rogue X 4 & 5 hybrids

:tmade: SIM 2 6-gap irons

:cobra:  King snakebite grove wedges 52 & 58*

:ping: Heppler ZB3 putter

• 1 year later...
errrrr, is mccord has tone the most annoying and least funny commentator in sport. nothing worse than someone who thinks they are clever and funny when they aren't.

can we start a petition to have him banned from every tournament like the masters did

i cant believe that im one of the only ones who like him, i think he's one of the best commentators in golf and love the banter between him and Feherty

Cobra S2 Driver
Nike SQ 3 Wood
Nike Sumo SQ 3 Hybrid
Callaway X-16 Irons 3-PW
Nike Victory Red 56 and 60 WedgesScotty Cameron Newport 1.5 Putter

I like McCord, seems I'm in the minority here but he makes me laugh, like Feherty as well...

Kostis is another matter, what a blowjock

apex53
In my bag:
Titleist 913D3 9.5
Titleist 913F 15

Titleist 913H 19, 913H21

Titleist 712CB 5-P Titleist Vokey 54, 58 Scotty Cameron Fastback Titleist ProV1x

Small doses - that's how it is for all sports commentators. I though that's why they have so damned many of them!?!?!

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

i cant believe that im one of the only ones who like him, i think he's one of the best commentators in golf and love the banter between him and Feherty

Agreed. McCord & Feherty together are terrific. Brandel Chamblis is also a real plus. (As for Rich Lerner, Golfgal pretty much said it all).

I like McCord, but i agree with that he does talk too much at times.
THE WEAPONS CACHE..

Titleist 909 D2 9.5 Degree Driver| Titleist 906f4 13.5 degree 3-Wood | Titleist 909 17 & 21 degree hybrid | Titleist AP2 irons
Titleist Vokey Wedges - 52 & 58 | Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2 Putter | ProV1 Ball

I don't know about you guys, but I have to turn the volumn off when he is on the air. He was on today, dominating the entire broadcast with his silly comments. What's the deal with this guy? He can not comment without silly nonsense coming out of his mouth.

I could not agree more!!!! I think Faldo is probably the best and most relative. Gary McCord is simply a smack tard when it comes to commentating. When he laughs at his own jokes before anyone else does that just says it all.

ogio.gif  Grom Stand Bag: Stealth
ping.gif     G15  10 .5, G10 3W,  5W, S-57 3-W, Tour-W 50, 5 6, 60 : Redwood Anser Black Satin 34.5"
titleist.gif     Ball: ProV1

I got a kick out of the honesty this weekend...when the big names and big egos are on stage they tip toe around like priests at a day camp...but with no name players the commentary was funny...WOW DAVID..THAT SURE WAS A CRAPPY SHOT....YEH GARY,,,,HE REALLY F...KED THAT ONE UP! If they said that about Tiger, IMG would slap a cease and desist order on them in a sec.

I like McCord, he can be quite amusing, I seem to remember him commenting from a sponsors car during the Tavistock Cup this year.

Tho lets be honest (& please forget I am from Northern Ireland too!) but Feherty wins hands down everytime, the guy is hilarious!! Wicked quick sense of humor!

What's in my Titleist RC10 Cart Bag? Driver: Nike Sasquatch Sumo Square 5900 10.5* Aldila VS Proto 65 stiff shaft
3 Wood: Nike SQ Mach Speed 15* Hybrid: Nike 5H Ignite 23*
Irons: Nike Ignite 4i-Sw Wedges: Vokey Design 252*-08 / Oil Can Spin Milled 60*-08
Putter: Odyssey White Ice 2Ball CS 34"...

Feherty is the only one that can pull off the wacky golf commentary. The rest should just stick to the actual golf and leave being funny to comedians.

In the blue Colts bag:

Driver - FT-5 10°
Hybrids - 4DX 15.5°, 20°
Irons/Wedges - CI-7 4-GW, SW | "Free" Warrior 60° LWPutter - TiffanyBalls - various

Feherty is the only one that can pull off the wacky golf commentary. The rest should just stick to the actual golf and leave being funny to comedians.

I agree. McCord just likes the sound of his voice and what's with all the wheezing and ahhs while a put is rolling or when a guy is in his backswing. It's TV not radio. In the order of commentators I do not like: McCord and then Miller.

i love mccord. he has fun. and when you get mccord and feherty together it is pretty funny.

DRIVER : VR Tour 9.5 Degree with Diamana Whiteboard Shaft
3 WOOD : SQ 15 Degree with Diamana Blueboard SHaft
5 WOOD : SQ 19 Degree Diamana Blueboard Shaft
IRONS : Victory Red TW Blades 3-PW
S. WEDGE : Victory Red 56 DegreeL. WEDGE : Victory Red 60 DegreePUTTER : Anser IIBALL : ONE TOUR

I like McCord. He pokes fun at himself as well as others. He was a "rabbit squad" player for many years and threw out one of the best one liners I ever heard from a player about his career.

(quote): I have been out here over 20 years proving that I cant beat anyone.

Not all of his antics are funny..... but many are.

Note: This thread is 4322 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!