Sign in to follow this  
Chris5573

Would Ping i5's be a Good Choice for a 10-12 Handi?

Note: This thread is 4279 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

8 posts / 2928 viewsLast Reply

My handicap is still showing as a 7.7, but that's because I have not played much lately...I'm more like a 10-12. I just sold my TM RAC OS-2's because I was planning on getting a set of Ping i5's. I have heard that the i5's would be a big step up for me though since I'm used to the offset of the OS-2's. Are the i5's still pretty forgiving, or are they really made for a TRUE single digit handicapper? I am starting to think I might be better off with the g5's...do any of you have experience with both? Are any of you in the mid handicap range and playing the i5's? What do you think about them?

Thanks for any opinions!

I think those PINGS might make you a better player. If your handicap has been down around 7, you can certainly handle them. Fitted with the right shafts for your game, you will learn more from your misses, probably be able to work the ball better, etc. I've never been down to a 7, but years ago when I changed from Eye2s to i3+ blades, it was the best move I ever made. I've since changed from those, but the adjustment to the Titleists really wasn't any adjustment at all. I can't even look at a club with the kind of offset I had in those Eye2s and am glad to be without it (then again, not many have that kind of offset). You will be, too.

I have hit the MX-25, and I loved the feel of it...but I was to stay with something more forgiving than that. Do you think the i5's are more forgiving than the MX-25, or is it the other way around? I have always played a GI iron...which Pings, (i5 or g5), do you think is more comparable to the X-20's?

Also, one more thing and then I will leave this al one. With the CS Lite shafts on these irons...do they play weaker since they're so light? Is a reg weaker than a "normal" reg, and a stiff actually between reg & stiff?

I have thr Mizuno mx-23s. The predecessor to the mx-25 and now mx-200. All are forged and pretty forgiving too-ad decent 20 handicaper could easily use these clubs in my opinion. Personally I like the mx-23 better than the mx-25 and 200 as the top line is less chunky. Doubt there is that much of a difference in performance, mx-23 is still a superb iron. If price is an issue you could go for this-it's really cheap on ebay. So cheap you could buy a mid and long iron and hack (play some shots!) around for a few weeks before deciding if worth a go!

I have hit the MX-25, and I loved the feel of it...but I was to stay with something more forgiving than that. Do you think the i5's are more forgiving than the MX-25, or is it the other way around? I have always played a GI iron...which Pings, (i5 or g5), do you think is more comparable to the X-20's?

Probably the other way around. the MX-25s are a bit bigger than the i5s. Normally, I am biased towards Mizuno products and the MX-25 are really great irons, feel great, and very playable. However, the i5s are really very good clubs, the feel isn't as good as Mizunos but they are easy to hit and comforting to look at. The G5s are more comparable to the X20s, but I think a 10-12 handicapper shouldn't have problems hitting the i5s, Ping irons are known for forgiveness.

Note: This thread is 4279 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!