IGNORED

"Tour Tempo" by John Novosel

iacas
Note: This thread is 2777 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Eh... I dunno man. This seemed really weird. Let me start at the beginning.

Start with the slowest tempo, 27/9, and go from there. Oddly enough, that felt fast to me about 4 mos ago. Now I am on to 24/8. I cannot really give you anything to help with not anticipating the tones. At this point, don't even worry about hitting balls. Just swing a club to the tones. Get the feeling of just reacting to the tones with a smooth transition. A smooth transition between tones is huge.

R9 460 9.5
R9 3-Wood
Irons AP1 4-PW
Wedge X-Forged 62*, 56*, 50*
Studio Select 34" MS Newport 2 TP Red

If you feel like there's not enough time between the third and fourth beeps, you're dawdling at the top of your backswing. The rhythm of your swing is all off, which is what the book is trying to correct (the title should have been Tour Rhythm). Think of the entire swing as one movement, not two. That will make your downswing flow without hesitation, but without rushing, from your backswing.

There is no 4th beep. Theres a 3rd and then it starts over again on the 1st. Im saying there should be more time between the 3rd and the restart. Its weird hearing the beeps while trying to set up quickly and even hearing the 1st one while youre still in follow through. Thats manageable. I just need more time to see if this is really going to help me. I feel like my backswing was quicker than the 1st and second beeps sometimes, Ive just been swinging too ahrd.. Ugh.. I dunno. I thought it would help alot but I feel ridiculous swinging to the beeps. i guess repetition would help.

"My greatest fear is that when I die my wife will sell my golf clubs for what I told her I paid for them."
What's in my SQ Tour Carry bag?:
Driver: R7 Quad 9.5*
3, 5 Wood: G5 clones
Irons: : AP1 (4-PW) Wedges: 52*, 56*, 62* Spin Milled Putter: White Hot 2 Ball BladeBalls: Shoes: My...

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

There is no 4th beep. Theres a 3rd and then it starts over again on the 1st. Im saying there should be more time between the 3rd and the restart. Its weird hearing the beeps while trying to set up quickly and even hearing the 1st one while youre still in follow through. Thats manageable. I just need more time to see if this is really going to help me. I feel like my backswing was quicker than the 1st and second beeps sometimes, Ive just been swinging too ahrd.. Ugh.. I dunno. I thought it would help alot but I feel ridiculous swinging to the beeps. i guess repetition would help.

1st beep start swing, 2nd beep start downswing, 3rd beep is impact. It is as simple as that. When I setup to the ball I usually wait two cycles of beeps before starting my swing. Don't be in such a rush to swing.

R9 460 9.5
R9 3-Wood
Irons AP1 4-PW
Wedge X-Forged 62*, 56*, 50*
Studio Select 34" MS Newport 2 TP Red

• 7 months later...
Was thinking of getting this as I know I don't have anywhere near as smooth a tempo as I need. Anyone been using this since this thread started (or before or just a long time in general) and achieved great results?

Yes. This does work. The recordings do lead you to swinging with the proper rhythm. You have to find you own tempo, though, and don't get hung up on 21/7, 24/8, and 27/9 being the only possible choices. BTW, the name of the book should be Tour Rhythm. Novosel use tempo referring to both tempo and rhythm. 21/7 and 24/8 are the same rhythm at different tempos.

I read this thread a couple of weeks ago and bought the book. I read it while out of town on a business trip and no clubs to pick up and swing. After I figured out what was going on I simply started listening to the 27/9 mp3 (with the three beeps, not the voice). I'd just have it repeat over and over while I was doing other things. I was in a hotel so I just played it over the speakers on the alarm clock while I slept too. It didn't take long for me to easily get the same tempo down in my head without the mp3 playing.

Right before I left to go out of town I started hitting the ball poorly. I was hitting it fat and spraying the ball all over the place. I lost distance. Today I returned home and went to the range. I started off quickly practicing the Y and L drills and swinging to the 27/9 mp3. My backswing was in tempo, but I was surprised my downswing was too slow. I started hitting balls and was very impressed. It appears I was hitting the ball a little further, but hard to tell due to the range and the fact that there was a huge headwind.

One thing I did notice was that I completely forgot about mechanics. This was good and bad. Good because I was striking the ball well, but bad because I started pulling shots. A couple of small swing thoughts to review right before focusing in on the beeps and I was hitting it solid again.

We'll see how this goes over the next couple of weeks, but so far I'm liking what I saw today.

Oh, and I did have a couple of shots that were completely out of my normal shot shape. I normally have a high ball flight, but today I hit two shots that had a low, boring trajectory and great distance that I see a lot on tour pros. I've never hit the ball like that before. Of course now I have to figure out how to repeat it.
In my bag:

Driver: FT-5, 9° stiff
Wood: Big Bertha 3W/5W
Irons: X-20 TourWedges: X Tour 52°/56°Hybrids: Idea Pro 2/3/4Putter: Black Series #2Ball: NXT Extreme/NXT Tour

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

So I took the general idea here and just did the count in my head and mostly just quickened the pace of my backswing.

Oh. My. God.

I've never hit the ball so far / with such good consistent contact in my life. I hope it is repeatable tomorrow when I head out to stone canyon.

P.S. I think it was more due to actually accelerating all the way through the whole swing, rather than decelerating on impact. And what I mean by this is, I always swing pretty hard, but I tend to stop when I'm letting the club whip. I just kept swinging today because it seemed more natural with the quickened pace.

• 2 weeks later...
I need to echo 2 sentiments in this thread as loud as I can:

1. If your swing is already fast, this won't help....at least not as quickly as it's been helping most of the people in this thread.
2. Make sure you have good fundamentals.

I figured I'd try it anyway since the website claimed it's for beginners as well. It was horrible. I wanted to swing way before the 2nd beep even on 21/7. I have a short back swing.

Oh well. Maybe I'll try it again after I get better or something.

• 2 weeks later...
So I took the general idea here and just did the count in my head and mostly just quickened the pace of my backswing.

Fred couples may have a smooth tempo, that may appear slow, but it's not really. Checking it out, it seems faster than mine and, I thought I had a too quick thing going on. I'm beginning to think it's the rhythm proportions more than anything, with the goal of acceleration through impact. The more I work on my idea of tempo the more I like the results. So I think I'm going to pick up this book and take it a step further.

McGolf-Doggie's stand bag & new and used club emporium:
Putter :ping: 1/2Craz-e | Irons :TaylorMade: RAC MB, 4i-PW (DG S300) |Wedges :Cleveland: SW&LW 56*DSG+RTG; 60*/4* DSG+RTG |Woods :Cobra: S1 5W; Adams TIght Lies 3W |Driver :TaylorMade: Burner 9.5 Fujikura Reax S | Maxfli Practice

Just saw this thread and downloaded the whole thing on the Ipod Touch. I like the tempo 24/8 and took some swings. Seems to allow the swing to fall into place. I will go to the range and report back.

Cobra LTDx 10.5* | Big Tour 15.5*| Rad Tour 18.5*  | Titleist U500 4-23* | T100 5-P | Vokey SM7 50/8* F, 54/10* S, SM8 58/10* S | Scotty Cameron Squareback No. 1 | Vice Pro Plus  

Went to the range for the maiden voyage of Tour Tempo and have some mixed feelings. It didn't seem to have any effect on my irons. I found that tempo was fairly close to 24/8 but not quite. I hit the ball pretty well with or without the beats so no gain. I saw a huge difference with my driver. I hit about 15 that came off like a rocket and were all playable. I turned it off and tried to keep an internal rhythm. Soon I found that while my irons didn't suffer, they improved as I was able to slow down just a hair and boom...hitting them great. I found that the driver soon suffered. I listened again and started putting and the short game beats helped with the shortish putts, but not so much with the lags. With the short putts it really firms the stroke up and I found myself hitting the putter more consistently on the sweet spot. I returned to the driver. Mixed results and my tempo was suffering...I ran out on the range and grabbed a couple of balls and concentrated on rhythm and made a small adjustment towards the ball and boom...ended it all with the best drive of the session. Overall, I think that this product forces you to take the club back and to get into position to make the downswing to hit the beats. It takes a lot of the tentativeness out and allows you to accelerate properly for the best result. If you swing too fast or too slow, you can feel it right away so it is good for feedback. I will report back after a few weeks when I really have a chance to let it all sink in, but can at least report that it helped me out with my most difficult club to hit the driver. I was definitely hitting it longer than I have in a long time.

Cobra LTDx 10.5* | Big Tour 15.5*| Rad Tour 18.5*  | Titleist U500 4-23* | T100 5-P | Vokey SM7 50/8* F, 54/10* S, SM8 58/10* S | Scotty Cameron Squareback No. 1 | Vice Pro Plus  

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
After using this a few times, I am not sure of its exact worth. Having said that, I think the IPod download is a little pricey for what you get. It has given me some tempo thoughts, but it is not the silver bullet that many claim it to be. If you do download it, get the cheapest version with just the long game sounds. The short game sounds have no real value.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I read the book in like 45 minutes over lunch last week.  Went to the range with the disc and found it to be just noise.  I think that while if you swing speed is slow this will help you, but if it is already close to the 3:1 ratio you will not benefit much.  It seems like it is just to keep your mind from overwhelming you with swing thoughts.

Just my 2cp

Anyone else notice how the tone spacing is very similar to The Frog Song (We All Stand Together) by Paul McCartney? When I don't have my iPhone with me I find humming the tune in my head helps. lol

Bom... Bom Bom...

SWING DNA
Speed [77] Tempo [5] ToeDown [5] KickAngle [6] Release [5] Mizuno JPX EZ 10.5° - Fujikura Orochi Black Eye (with Harrison ShotMaker) Mizuno JPX EZ 3W/3H - Fujikura Orochi Black Eye Mizuno JPX 850 Forged 4i-PW - True Temper XP 115 S300 Mizuno MP R-12 50.06/54.09/58.10 - Dynamic Gold Wedge Flex Mizuno MP A305 [:-P]

Note: This thread is 2777 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!