IGNORED

The ULTIMATE golf wager

DrivingRangeJunkie
Note: This thread is 5525 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Be careful what you ask for....... Affluent, successful people tend to be pretty smart.....that's how they got to where they are. They're also used to taking chances and know how to win when they do so.

If I were your uncle and you came to me with something like that, I'd agree to put up a new car..........against $500 from you. GREAT odds, right? You'd be foolish not to accept, right?

Then I'd crush you like a bug! Why? Because the new car doesn't mean much to me (him), hell, it's probably not much more than pocket change. But $500 is HUGE to you. The thought of the possibility of losing that much money will be in your head from the very first drive, and will weigh on you every time you step up to a 3 foot putt. At this point in your golf career your fundamentals just aren't good enough to stand that kind of pressure. You wouldn't have a chance.

Lee Trevino once said something like, "Pressure isn't standing over a 5 foot putt worth $50,000. Real pressure is playing for $10 when you don't have a dime your pocket".

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Word.

Aren't gambling and betting the same? What the OP is talking about is gambling. If he wins he gets this, but if his uncle wins his uncle gets that. It's the same thing as putting $20 on the Superbowl.

Whenever you bet or gamble on games, you can either take the spread (Pitt -7) or the odds (I forget what they were). That makes it a fair bet because a team (or golfer) is usually favored. So, the OP said in a different thread that he doesn't know his handicap. Therefore, there's no line or spread on the match. He has to use odds to make the bet fair. To the OP, you should probably play a round before your uncle comes in so you can see how good you really are.

In my Ogio Ozone Bag:
TM Superquad 9.5* UST Proforce 77g Stiff
15* Sonartec SS-2.5 (Pershing stiff)
19* TM Burner (stock stiff)
4-U - PING i10 White dot, +1.25 inches, ZZ65 stiff shafts55*/11* Snake Eyes Form Forged (DGS300)60*/12* Snake Eyes Form Forged (DGS300)Ping i10 1/2 MoonTitleist ProV1

Clean all his clubs. Something simple. The odds are against me, so if he wins I shouldn't have to pay too heavily. But if I win, I deserve something grand.

what makes you think you "deserve" anything? why dont you try an make the world a better place instead of being greedy. peace out.

Colin P.

• Administrator
Aren't gambling and betting the same?

Some definitions overlap, but they have different connotations. Gambling's used far more often with games of chance, and betting more often with sporting events.

I'd never say I'm "gambling" when it's almost completely up to me how well I fare in something. I don't "gamble" at golf - I bet at golf. I bet at poker too, because good poker isn't a game of chance, but a game of skill - reading people, assessing the likelihood of an outcome, etc. I'd be gambling if I ever played roullette. Or pulled the lever on a slot machine. I'd bet on a horse or a guy to win the U.S. Open. So it's at the very least a connotative difference for me. I think that when you're in the bet, and you can control things, thinking of it as "gambling" somehow takes you out of it as if you don't matter.
What the OP is talking about is gambling. If he wins he gets this, but if his uncle wins his uncle gets that. It's the same thing as putting $20 on the Superbowl.

But it's not, for reasons I've explained. Again, perfectly willing to grant you that the definitions overlap a little bit, but the connotative meaning is important. It's how we perceive things. The old "would you rather get lost in the forest or the woods?" thing.

For the pedantic, note how often "chance" appears in "gamble" but not in "bet" (and uncertain != chance). The last few definitions in each are the noun forms, of course: bet 1.to wager with (something or someone). 2.to make a wager: Do you want to bet? 3.a pledge of a forfeit risked on some uncertain outcome; wager: Where do we place our bets? 4.that which is pledged: a two-dollar bet. 5.something that is bet on, as a competitor in a sporting event or a number in a lottery: That horse looks like a good bet. 6.an act or instance of betting: It's a bet, then? 7.a person, plan of action, etc., considered as being a good alternative; choice: Your best bet is to sell your stocks now. gamble 1.to play at any game of chance for money or other stakes. 2.to stake or risk money, or anything of value, on the outcome of something involving chance: to gamble on a toss of the dice. 3.to lose or squander by betting (usually fol. by away): He gambled all his hard-earned money away in one night. 4.to wager or risk (money or something else of value): to gamble one's freedom. 5.to take a chance on; venture; risk: I'm gambling that our new store will be a success. 6.any matter or thing involving risk or hazardous uncertainty. 7.a venture in a game of chance for stakes, esp. for high stakes.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Are you playing match play with double or nothing on the 18th hole or stroke play?

Titleist 910 D2 9.5 Driver
Titleist 910 F15 & 21 degree fairway wood
Titleist 910 hybrid 24 degree
Mizuno Mp33 5 - PW
52/1056/1160/5

"Yonex ADX Blade putter, odyssey two ball blade putter, both  33"

ProV-1

On the terminology front, I thought betting is the act of gambling or gaming.

Placing money on sports, horses, or something where the outcome can be controlled etc is gambling.

Placing money on roulette, cards or something where there is no control etc is gaming.

For the same reason coin operated machines generally have 2 categories:

AWP (Amusement With Prizes) - Eg Slots
SWP (Skill With Prizes) - Eg Video quiz or reaction test game

This is certainly how the gambling\gaming industry considers it anyway.

betting to me is when im either actually involved in the outcome or if im trying to predict the outcome of whatever im wagering on...

gambling to me is putting money on sheer chance like the lotto... i dont know about putting up a car against washing clubs even if a car is nothing to him... it also depends on your relationship with your uncle... would he buy you a car without the wager? if you were to bet a car... id bring it up jokingly... if he bites... go for it... if not... let him pick the bet
Instead, each guy gets mulligans according to his handicap. BUT - here's the rub - The 5 handicap gets 5 mulligans. He can use them (one per hole) to re-hit any shot, OR he can force his opponent to re-hit any of his shots too!

this sounds like fun... im gonna use this the next time i play my brothers... thanks

RUSS's avg drive - 230yrds and climbing

Better yet, forget the uncle, take your wife or girlfriend to the links, let the wagering begin.

909D3 (Voodoo, stiff)
King Cobra Comp 5w (YS 5.1 Stiff)
AP1 4,5; AP2 6-P; Vokey 252 08, SM56 14, SM60 08 (Nippon N.S. Pro 950GH Regular)
Newport 2 Mid Slant

Well this is been some thread, let me answer some questions other posters posted.

1. My Uncle and I are not very close, due to his career. He rarely visits, and when he does, it is usually very brief. But sometimes he will get you something if you brought it up while he is in town, so whether the car idea will fly or not is still up for grabs.

2. My Uncle is not a Bill Gates sort of figure. He makes better money than most people.

3. I will try to play a round the day before we actually go, that way I can be as prepared as possible.

4. As for the wager, I will simply ask what we will be playing for when we get to the course, and see what happens. I am not snobby and greedy enough to ask that we play for a new car, but I enjoy thinking about it. Thanks for all the posts, there are alot of cool ideas here.

In all honesty, it sounds as though you are trying to take advantage of your uncle (as in, he has lots of money and I'm want to wring some of it out of him.) Have you thought that this may backfire on you in the long run?

If you uncle is a success and connected in the film industry (or any industry for that matter) those connections are worth more to you in the long run than any amout of money. When you get out of school and are looking for a job, who is the most likely to be able to help you land one? Someone that is successful and connected (like say, your uncle.)

My advice is just have fun and bond with you uncle. If you want to bet make it something fun and simple (like a bottle of Maker's Mark, which you can both share no matter who wins.)

Instight XTD A30S Driver 10.5° ($69 new ebay)
Instight XTD A3OS Fairway Wood 15° ($45 new ebay)
Fybrid 19.5° ($35 new ebay)
Ci7 4-GW ($175 new Rock Bottom Golf via ebay)
53° & 58° 8620 DD wedges ($75 each new PGA Superstore) C2-DF ($35 new Rock Bottom Golf) Riley TT stand bag ($7 n...

In all honesty, it sounds as though you are trying to take advantage of your uncle (as in, he has lots of money and I'm want to wring some of it out of him.) Have you thought that this may backfire on you in the long run?

so true... its not always what you know... its who you know

RUSS's avg drive - 230yrds and climbing

....like a bottle of Maker's Mark, which you can both share no matter who wins.

You're advocating drinking after a round of golf? I'm shocked...... shocked I say!

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

dont like to jump to snap conclusions but i have.

To me you should be damn grateful your uncle takes you anywhere enjoy the round of golf, play for a pound or a dollar, the end.

Trying to find some way to screw him for your benefit, makes me sick.

I could go into a rant but i will restrain myself.

forgot,

Lee Treveno quote, i remember that too and its about playing for more than you have (you better win) and when Trevino was growing up he played some guys who knew guys who did things.

dont like to jump to snap conclusions but i have.

Indeed, it does sound as if I am trying to take advantage of him, but thats only if I even put a car on the table as the wager. I am, as any golfer would, looking forward more to the round than the what we will be playing for. When the time comes, I will ask what we will be playing for. And I will not mention a car. I know in my first post I stated that I should win a car, but this came more out of sarcasm than true rational.

question, are you a teenager?

If any younger relative of mine tried to screw me for cash, regardless of how little or much it was for i promise you i would see it and it would disappoint me.

As far as connections etc go, well i wouldnt deny anyone in my family these but respect is something that doesnt come cheap.

I would do the dinner and mulligan idea. Those sounded really interesting. And If you wanted to make it embarrising, just for fun, make the loser washer his car in a speedo. Just think of the looks from the neighbours.

You're advocating

They should drink it during the round. ;)

Instight XTD A30S Driver 10.5° ($69 new ebay)
Instight XTD A3OS Fairway Wood 15° ($45 new ebay)
Fybrid 19.5° ($35 new ebay)
Ci7 4-GW ($175 new Rock Bottom Golf via ebay)
53° & 58° 8620 DD wedges ($75 each new PGA Superstore) C2-DF ($35 new Rock Bottom Golf) Riley TT stand bag ($7 n...

Note: This thread is 5525 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!