IGNORED

Biggest sports star ever?

4ringslvr
Note: This thread is 5250 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

• Replies 251
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Spartacus.

Yes. Second place a tie between Ben Hur and Hercules.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

Tiger has changed the game of golf and the popularity of the sport on a global scale. He has done wonders for the game. Palmer, Watson and Nicklaus all did a lot for the game of golf but nowhere near what Tiger has done. I guess its the evolution of sport. Someone after Tiger will have a great impact on the game as well in due time.

Tiger has taken sport domination to a whole new level. Michael Jordan, Tiger Woods, and Pele are known around the world and have all done wonders for the growth and popularity of their respective sports - without them the games would not be the same!!

richieb

I dunno. Why would you find that hard to believe?

Thanks for the pic, though. Now I have an idea what he looked like. (PS - 'Mrs Robinson' was on the radio just last Friday on BBC Radio 2. What a coincidence! )

1) Michael Phelps
2) Lance Armstrong
3) Ali
4) Pele
5) Jordan
6) Babe Ruth
7) Ronaldo (Brazilian not Cristiano) - I only say this because if I say Ronaldo to my parents they know the Brazilian, but not Cristiano. Although these are only two people, I am pretty sure most parents would at least recognize his name.
8) Lin Dan - While this name means nothing to people outside of Asia, its hard to overlook that chunk of the world with their Billions of people...

I made my list based on "Most Recognizable." Just their names, not their faces.
Driver - Sumo 5900 (9.5°) S
3W - 909 F2 (15.5°) X
Hybrid - 4DX Ironwood 3 (20°) S
Irons: 4-PW - Victory Reds Full Cavity S
Wedge - CG14 (56°)Putter - Red X5 35"Ball - e6+Scores with New Bag:95, 83, 86

• 2 weeks later...
Tiger has changed the game of golf and the popularity of the sport on a global scale. He has done wonders for the game. Palmer, Watson and Nicklaus all did a lot for the game of golf but nowhere near what Tiger has done. I guess its the evolution of sport. Someone after Tiger will have a great impact on the game as well in due time.

Come on now, Palmer's impact was just as big as Tiger's, if not more. That's one of the reasons he's simply known as "The King". Anyone who bore witness to Palmer during his heyday would attest to that.

My Tools of Ignorance:

Driver: Ping I20 9.5*
Woods/Hybrids: Cobra AMP 3W and 3 HY

Irons: Cobra AMP 4-GW

Wedges: Callaway Forged Copper 56* and 60*

Putters: Scotty Cameron  35" (Several of the flow neck blade variety)

Ball: Bridgestone B330-RX and Srixon Z-Star

Bag: Nike Performance Carry

Ali. Not even close. Ali transcended sports, Tiger hasn't transcended golf.

Driver: G10 9.5*
Fairway Woods: 3 & 5
Hybrid: 21*
Irons: I10 4 - 9
Wedges: 48* + Spin-Milled 54 & 60*Putter: Rossa FontanaBall: B330-RX

Would think Ali closely followed by Pele. People just don't remember how big Ali was/is and how he appealled to so many populations.

909D3 Driver 10.5*
909F3 Fairway Metal 15*
909H Hybrid 19*
AP1 3-4 Irons
AP2 5-8 Irons ZB 9 Iron & PW Oilcan Spin Mill 54* & 58* Studio Select Newport 2 SG5

• 2 weeks later...
Come on now, Palmer's impact was just as big as Tiger's, if not more. That's one of the reasons he's simply known as "The King". Anyone who bore witness to Palmer during his heyday would attest to that.

Anyone witnessing Palmer during his heyday is a fossil!!

richieb

• 2 weeks later...
Between Ali, Tiger, Jordan

Apples and oranges comparing team sport with individual sports. But without a TERRIFIC goalie (who is also red hot) very few teams win the Stanley Cup. Stated another way, the goalie is ALWAYS the most important player on the ice. So, Gretsky is great but the sport of hockey reduces the importance of any one great scoring and passing star who is only on the ice x number of shifts.

Anyone witnessing Palmer during his heyday is a fossil!!

Call me fossil. Simple fact of the matter is that all the Pros playing today and cashing big winners cheques owe Arnie a VERY big debt of gratitude. Greatest sports star ever: Mr "Float like a butterfly, sting like a bee" Ali.

Call me fossil.

Agreed on all points.

It's hard to explain just how big Arnie was in the 60's but there were Arnold Palmer franchised dry cleaners. At a time when very few women (as a percent of the population) played golf, every woman in America knew who Arnold Palmer was. He was a sex symbol on par with Sean Connery. Guys wanted to be Arnold Palmer and gals wanted to be with him. Without him, golf is not the big time sport on TV every week. Nicklaus was great but he didn't get non-golfer TV sets turned on, Arnold did.

• Administrator
Most dominating at his sport: Gretsky

Not. You can't even state that Gretzky was better than Lemieux. Had Lemieux not had back problems

and freakin' cancer he'd be right up there or even ahead of Gretzky. Jordan. Woods. Ali. That's the list as far as I'm concerned. No other mainstream sport has had anyone dominate at levels as high as these guys.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• 2 weeks later...
I said it before and I will state it one last time.Muhammed Ali was the most famous athelete in my life time period.

In my new FT carry bag
FT-9 Tour nuetral 9.5
FT-15 degree 3 wood
Fussion Hybrids #2&4
Fussion irons with Grapholoy Pro launch Red shafts56&60 Cally X forged wedges with Red shaftsSG9 putterCally I ballBushnell Meadealist range finder

Note: This thread is 5250 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!