IGNORED

Biggest sports star ever?

4ringslvr
Note: This thread is 5256 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Beckham has not taken the US by storm.

No, just the rest of the world! Unlike many of the basketball, baseball, NASCAR, Indycar and American football stars listed by many people.

As previous posters have suggested, for the biggest sports star ever, you are likely to be limited to just a few sports that are really global. In my mind the jury is still out, I'll post my suggestions when I have decided.

• Replies 251
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I often wonder why soccer has never taken off in America. Does anyone know why?

I've heard one theory that Americans just seem to have an inherant fascination with large numbers, and a simple game, whitch can end up with only one score is just alien to them. God forbid that two teams could be evenly matched and the game end in a

draw of all things! Plus, the 90 mins with only a 10-15 minuite break doesn't give enough opportunity for advertisements/playing a concert at half time.
Whats in the bag:

Driver: Nike Ignite 460cc 10.5* Fujikura Ignite reg flex
Fairway woods: Howson tour master power series 3,5 woods
Irons: MacGregor M675 3-PW DG S300 Wedges: Mizuno MP-R Black Nickel 54.10, 60.05Putter: Pinfire Golf P4Ball: Titleist NXT TourHome Course:http://www.golfarmagh.co.uk/...

It is astonishing is it not the degree of myopia demostrated by so many of the American posters to this thread , are you not embarrassed by your lack of familiarity with anything not American in origin or purvue ? Whilst I agree that Tiger Woods is a global Phenomenon and that no doubt Muhamed Ali must be recognised as possibly the best known sportman of all time I find your assertion of the likes of Babe Ruth , Michael Jordan and Lance Armstrong to laughable in the face of your ignorance regarding any sports not mainstream in America.

Yeah, Micheal Jordan is probably

'God-like' in Chicago, 'really famous' in the rest of the USA and 'oh - that guy who plays basketball?' in maybe Europe and Australia, tops. It's bordering on hysterically funny when you get posts like this:
Talk about everyone missing the boat...

Not only is this palooka missing the point entirely about 'global sports' but also the term 'biggest'.

But then, a large % of Americans don't actually know what's occuring in their neighbouring state...or even what that neighbouring state might be. Bo Jackson....that's the funniest post in this thread.
TaylorMade R9 460 9.5°
TaylorMade R9 13°
TaylorMade RAC TP MB 3-PW
TaylorMade RAC TP 54°.10 / 58°.10
Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2

I thought it was some bass fisherman or one of those Olympians that twirl the ribbons while jumping through a hula hoop. I might be confused about that, it could be an archer, a bowler, or maybe a golfer. I do know there was this kid when I was growing up, and he was hands down the best at throwing his top and splitting your top into pieces. Those that have never spun a top will have no idea of the dexterity this requires.

RC

Not only is this palooka missing the point entirely about 'global sports' but also the term 'biggest'.

Bo Knows.....if your not first, your last.

What does "palooka" mean anyway? Speak American please!

In the Bag...Ping Hoofer

3dx Tour Square - UST V2 HMOI X Flex
3dx 15* - X flex
Baffler DWS 20* Aldila NV Stiff 4-GW 600XC Forged Irons- S Flex 55* SW - Burner XD 60* LW - Burner XD Craz E Putter <----ProV1x---> Pellet

[QUOTE=damoc1;258614]

Bo Knows.....if your not first, your last.

Some witty Nike advertising slogan in the 90s?

TaylorMade R9 460 9.5°
TaylorMade R9 13°
TaylorMade RAC TP MB 3-PW
TaylorMade RAC TP 54°.10 / 58°.10
Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2

What does "palooka" mean anyway? Speak American please!

Ha ha ha! In reply to a post about many Americans not knowing whats going on outside their state, let alone country you post this.

I really REALLY hope it was a form of irony!

Another one.

Arnold Schwarzenegger for Body Building and everything else (if you consider freakish body building a sport)

HiBore XLS Tour 9.5*
Adams Fast10 15* 3W
A2OS 3H-7iron 60* LW
8iron Precept Tour Premium cb
9iron and 45* PW 50* GW 56* SW m565 and 455 VfoilPutter Anser Belly Putter Ball in order of preference TPblack e5 V2  AD333

Actually I think mosts of the posts from everyone show a parochial slant. If you consider who are the people recognized by people not avid about sports, or male you come up with some different names. Certainly Pele and Muhamad Ali belong in the discussion, but time period has to be part of the ranking also. Joe Louis, Jesse Owens, Nadia (the gymnast, I can't spell her last name), Pavlo Nurmi, Jean Claude Kiley, does auto racing count?, there have been several formula one stars known worldwide. Roger Bannister was probably the best known athlete in the world for 20 years. It is true that Americas top athletes are used for commercail endorsements in much of the world by American based companies, so they become well known, does that really translate to being the biggest star?

1W Cleveland LauncherComp 10.5, 3W Touredge Exotics 15 deg.,FY Wilson 19.5 degree
4 and 5H, 6I-GW Callaway Razr, SW, LW Cleveland Cg-14, Putter Taylor Made Suzuka, Ball, Srixon XV Yellow

During WWII, there were a few instances when Japanese soldiers charged American lines yelling "Go to hell Babe Ruth!!!" That says alot IMO.

It just says baseball is also big in Japan! Unfortunately its not that big in Europe, Africa, Australia, Russia or many other parts of the world.

Sorry to get all your Euro's riled up?????

The thread should be titled "Biggest Sports Stars Ever"

of course.... The 2008 USA Ryder Cup Team !!!!!

Booooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!

In the Bag...Ping Hoofer

3dx Tour Square - UST V2 HMOI X Flex
3dx 15* - X flex
Baffler DWS 20* Aldila NV Stiff 4-GW 600XC Forged Irons- S Flex 55* SW - Burner XD 60* LW - Burner XD Craz E Putter <----ProV1x---> Pellet

Sorry to get all your Euro's riled up?????

Now you're just getting silly.

Its not really a case of getting riled up, just stating a fact that if some person or team is going to be classed as the biggest sports star ever they would need to have international fame and recognition. Big domestic stars as good as they are do not have this.

Note: This thread is 5256 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!