IGNORED

whats a good handicap?

evinkc05
Note: This thread is 2823 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Well let's see. Taking an educated guess, I would say that the worst a player could be to still be considered a golfer would carry a hcp of about 50. And a theoretically perfect golfer would be about a +54. That means a theoretically mediocre hcp is about +2. I'd suggest that a good golfer would be halfway between mediocre and perfect. So +28.

Fore!

a single digit handicapper is what I consider a good golfer.

I was playing with a 4 handicapper, he was -3 after 3. Finished -1. He didn't have a great short game, but he didn't need to. He was knocking down pins all day.

My Clubs
Driver - LV4 10* R flex
Wood - sam snead persimmon 2 wood (for windy days)
Hybrid burner tour launch 20* stiff flex.
Irons - Tour Mode 3i,4i stiffIrons - FP's 5-PW R-flexWedge - spin milled 54.14Wedge - spin milled 60.07Putter - Victoria Lowest round 2010: 79 (par 70)Latest rounds at...

I think the single digit player is very good and the 10-18 could be considered good. For the person who said that they don't consider themselves good because they chunk the occasional shot and hit a duck hook or slice every now and again lighten up on yourself. Any pro tournament you watch week in and week out will display all of these shots.

BO THE GOLFER

In my Top Flite stand bag:

Driver-Ping G400+ 10.5 degrees regular flex Hybrids-Ping I25 17 & 20 degrees stiff flex Irons-Ping I3 O-size 4 through lob wedge regular flex Putter-Nike Oz 6

Anyone that's a legitimate single digit handicapper I consider a good player.

Driver Ping G10 10.5*
Hybrids Ping G5 (3) 19* Bridgestone J36 (4) 22*
Irons Mizuno MP-57 5-PW
Wedges Srixon WG-504 52.08 Bridgestone WC Copper 56.13
Putter 33" Scotty Cameron Studio Select #2

Anything under a 100 to me is a good golfer. If you average under 80 I consider that a great golfer that most of us might not be ever to achieve.

Cleveland Hibore XLS Driver: Nike Ignite2 Irons: Adams SW and LW: Odyssey White Hot Mallet: Bridgestone e6 and TreoSoft Balls etc...

Anything under a 100 to me is a good golfer. If you average under 80 I consider that a great golfer that most of us might not be ever to achieve.

Ha, +1 to this.

I think anyone with a handicap at 20 or under is considered "pretty good" in comparison to most people you see out at the public courses that don't break 100 most the time. When and if I get down to around an 18 handicap, I'll probably change my tune though!

Its all relative. To me a good player is around scratch or so. I played with a .6 on sunday and a maybe 5 or so. They shot a 75 and 77 on a pretty tough course with a rating of almost 73. He didn't have a good day but made 15 pars and 3 bogeys. I am happy to have only lost 6 dollars straight up. I consider myself a hack but when people ask me if I'm any good, I ask what do you consider good. Most people are much worse than me but I by no means consider myself a good golfer. Good is if on a bad day you still keep it in the 70s. So that is my "good".

Brian

Ha, +1 to this.

Yeah but I wouldn't call someone that shoots 90-95 a good golfer though. I mean, a good golfer to me is someone who can shoot in the low 80's. I realize that the majority of players out there at mid 90's to 100's shooters, but with a little work on your game and some time devoted to practice and playing, you can get down to a high 80's somewhat easily (just pretty much working on your short game, putting, and not completely wasting strokes.)

I think a great player is anyone under a 3 handicap. But I think that 4-10 range is a good golfer. When I see a 20 handicap on the range I don't say "That guy is a good player!"

Driver Ping G10 10.5*
Hybrids Ping G5 (3) 19* Bridgestone J36 (4) 22*
Irons Mizuno MP-57 5-PW
Wedges Srixon WG-504 52.08 Bridgestone WC Copper 56.13
Putter 33" Scotty Cameron Studio Select #2

I dunno..I tend to think im a good player. But i watch tour guys, or the + handicaps i see at some of the ametuer tournments i play in and just think im a wannabe hack..

couldnt have said it better myself.......

"My swing is homemade - but I have perfect flaws!" - Me

I would consider someone a "good golfer" who can go out and play about as bad as they can and still be in the high 40's for 9 holes. I'm an 8.8 index and even when I have what I consider a terrible day, I'm not remotely worried about putting a 50 on the card. Based on handicap:

Very Good/Scratch = under 5.0 index
Good = 6-14 index
Average = 15 - 25 index
Below average = 25 - 36 index
Bad = 37+ index

That's not to say you can't enjoy a round with a person of ANY skill set, but if you are routinely in the 50's and even have a chance of shooting 60 for 9 holes, you're a bad golfer.

Titleist 910D3 8.5* Aldila RIP
Titleist 910F 13.5* Diamana Kai'li
Nickent 4DX 20* and 24*
Tour Preferred 5-PW
52.08, 56.14, 60.04 Titleist Vokey

Odyssey Metal-X #9 Putter

Pro V1x

14 and below nah
bogey golf is fine
People who shoot 120 on a regular basis tend to not have a cap aswell.

My Clubs:
Ping I3 + blade 3-pw
9.5 09 Burner with prolaunch red
Nickent 4dx driver
Taylormade Z tp 52, 56, 60
YES Carolyne putter

I used to think that if you did not have a single digit handicap that you were not a good golfer. But since I play a lot by myself and get paired with others frequently, I see just how many poor golfers there are out there. I don't really consider myself good but maybe better than bad haha. I think I discovered I am a better than average player when my ball gets used more than often in scrambles. So I guess handicaps in the teens should be good and single digits are very good?

In my Sasquatch stand bag
Driver: G5 10.5*
Fairway wood: R9 4 wood
Irons: R7 3-PW OR Firesole 3-PW
Wedges: VR 52-10 56-14 & 260-4Putter: TraceyShoe: Powerband 3.0

For me, the absolute barometer is breaking 80. If you have the skill to break 80 more than a couple of times a season then you'll probably be considered a good golfer by everyone in the clubhouse better and worse than you. On my home course, that would generally be anyone with an 8 or lower. Excellent golfers are low single digits who realistically expect to break 80 every time out.

That said, I don't really care about your handicap when I play with you. Just allow yourself to enjoy the game and don't do stupid stuff that will make others enjoy their round less.

I would consider someone a "good golfer" who can go out and play about as bad as they can and still be in the high 40's for 9 holes. I'm an 8.8 index and even when I have what I consider a terrible day, I'm not remotely worried about putting a 50 on the card. Based on handicap:

I agree - shooting > 50 for 9 holes is the standard for bad golf. Not to say you can't make the odd good shot at that ability, but let's be honest. I play hockey better than most people - most people never having played the game at all - but if someone called me "a good hockey player" then they've never really seen one up close.

For me, the absolute barometer is breaking 80. If you have the skill to break 80 more than a couple of times a season then you'll probably be considered a good golfer by everyone in the clubhouse better and worse than you. On my home course, that would generally be anyone with an 8 or lower. Excellent golfers are low single digits who realistically expect to break 80 every time out.

Consistently shooting sub-80 is the standard I think. And not just 79 every time either. I consider myself right on the borderline. I could compare myself to an absolute beginner in order to prop up my ego, but I know the truth.

PS. My favourite golf buddies seem to have indexes in the 14 to 24 range. They can play quickly and aren't too competitive.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

He shot a 37 on the front 9 and was complaining about how horrible he was playing, and I was looking at my 44 on the scorecard, and pretty happy with it.

I've played this round... same thought. I shoot in the 80's (sometimes 90's) and if I post a 44 through 9 I know it could've been better, but at the same time I know that it has been worse... so I'm usually OK with a 44. The guy who complains about his round of 39 (or 40, 41, etc) needs to relax and take solace in the fact that they are that proverbial "good golfer" we are talking about.

So the way I see it: 90's = OK 80's = Good Below 80 = Arseholes

Even par through 9 is my best.  I don't even want to think about what was my worst.

I am curious as to what handicap is considered a good handicap, as I have heard 10 handicappers call themselves duffers or hackers, so Im just interested in people's opinions as to where that line is that a golfer becomes "good" in your eyes. Thanks.

Any handicap is great if you play well with others and understand course etiquette. There are alot of 30 handicappers that I play with that are much more fun than some of the

"hot head wanna be pro's" single digits. Enjoy your game and have fun. Forget what others think about your handicap.

I would say that @ 15 you are a decent bogey golfer on most courses playing the white tees. Good would be a 9 to 5. Great would be 4 to scratch. Awesome is +1 to +4. Off the planet is +5 or beyond which is Tour stuff.

Cobra LTDx 10.5* | Big Tour 15.5*| Rad Tour 18.5*  | Titleist U500 4-23* | T100 5-P | Vokey SM7 50/8* F, 54/10* S, SM8 58/10* S | Scotty Cameron Squareback No. 1 | Vice Pro Plus  

Note: This thread is 2823 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!