IGNORED

Medicus Hinged Club - Does it work?

antney79
Note: This thread is 2787 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

My personal conclusion has been that the weighted club has done far more at getting my swing plane and release timing right than the hinged club, and the impact has seemed more ingrained into my swing than the hinged Medicus.

I could not agree with this more. I bought a weighted driver (the Momentus) and it changed my game so quickly it was ridiculous. It was the absolute best investment I've made for game improvement besides my first two lessons.

Take the money you were going to spend on a hinged driver and get a weighted one -
In the bag:
Driver - FT-9 10* Stock Stiff Fujikura
3Wood - X 3W Stock Stiff Callaway Graphite Shaft
Hybrids - X Hybrids 21*, 24*, 27* uniflex steel shaft
Irons - X-22 irons 6-PW uniflex steel shaftWedges - X Forged Chrome Wedges: 52*, 56*, 60*Putter - White Hot XG #9Ball - Tour ix or TP...

I was also wondering if the medicus Driver works. Do you also need the 5 iron or is the driver all you need. Thanks for the Ebay and Craigs list idea.

The Medicus 5 Iron was the first one to come out and still works quite well, especially now that it has the dual hinge.

The beauty of the Medicus Driver is you can hit balls with it where you cannot with the Medicus 5 Iron. Plus the Medicus driver comes with the bonus putter trainer which also works well. You'll save a bit going with the 5 iron - $120 for the 5 iron vs $160 for the Medicus Driver. I'm a firm believer in any golf training approach that gives you instant feedback when you're doing something wrong in your swing - after all, you don't wanna engrain bad swing habits, right? The weighted clubs like the Momentus are good, however they don't give you instant feedback when your swing is wrong so you can still engrain bad habits. Hope this helps a bit. Play well. --John

Weighted or hinged, if your swing is already pretty good then these things won't do much.

I tried the 5-iron and it didn't really help my swing, but its a good training aid nonetheless. I was also hitting balls with the 5-iron.

I have on original Medicus hinged 5 iron. It actually works pretty good. The club forces a slow one piece takeaway and proper club positioning. Whenever I feel like I'm outta sync, I'll pull this puppy out and work with it a few moments. I think it was worth it for me, but I paid nowhere near retail. Before paying infomercial pricing, I would shop around. Ebay or Craigslist might be a good starting point. :: The entire posting above is assuming you are referring to the hinged Medicus club, and not the weighted one. If you are talking about the weighted one, ignore everything above except the "shop around" advice .::

+1 i agree with everything there. mine was collecting dust the past few years and i broke it out at the range a week or two ago and it has helped my game out yet again amazingly. heck, i don't even actually hit the ball i just take a few practice swings with it and my contact is better and the ball is going straighter. i absolutely love it and second the notion about looking on ebay (also try craigslist).

In the bag:
983k 9.5° YS-6 graphite shaft driver
F Speed LD Mens 3 Wood 15.5° Graphite Design Tour AD YS Stiff
2H 18° Baffler Pro with Fukijura Speeder Stiff Graphite Shaft
3H 20° Baffler Pro DCi irons 4-PW + S Rosa putter

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 years later...
Is this worth getting? I dont want to get sucked into an infomercial, but it seems very tempting.

... Do it! These tools are the bestthat money can buy! Regardless what handicap you are these clubs can help your game. There's no faking a bad swing when you use these. Just find the slow method of keeping your hands in the right position to keep the club from breaking and then ingraine it into your memory to have a perfect takeaway every time, also allows your tempo to smooth itself out and remove any jerks

• 1 month later...
In response to your question does it work? Short answer yes if you are a beginner . But PLEASE BE WARNED DO NOT BUY FROM THERE WEB SITE THEY WILL CHARGE YOU FOR ALOT OF OTHER STUFF AND SIGN YOU UP FOR THINGS YOU DID NOT ATHORIZE AND CHARGE YOU FOR THEM IF YOU DON'T CANCEL WITH IN A CERTAIN TIME THE NUMBERS THEY GIVE TO CALL DO NOT WORK ... PLEASE PLEASE TAKE IT FROM SOMEONE WHO'S BEEN THERE THIS IS A HORRIBLE COMPANY

When we got a Medicus driver several years ago I think it helped my son because at first he was doing things that would cause it to hinge.

Really didn't do anything for me because evidently none of my many flaws are something that would cause it to hinge. I could swing the thing time after time with my "normal" swing and never have it hinge (and I certainly don't have a good swing).

In short, I think it can help some people but it's not going to fix all swing flaws or show that certain flaws exist.

• 3 weeks later...

I was sent an online offer for a golf item; http://www.medicus.com/special_offer_falllineindicator299.php?sid=103069

I was asked to authorize a $9.98 payment on my credit card. I did. That is all I was asked and authorized. After I did, another window popped up explaining I would also be sent two other items I did not authoriz and a monthly fee each month after. I searched frantically to cancel or opt out. There was no option for me. I was then charged $33.84 and will be charged monthly until I return two items that are being sent to me I did not even know about. This has to be illegal. I phoned to cancel and was told I could not and would have to return the items I did not order which will cost me. Then call my credit card to create a dispute. It's unbelievable. Here is other acts of fraud posted for Medicus Golf;

http://www.yelp.com/biz/medicus-golf-tempe

http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/medicus-golf/internet-california-/medicus-golf-overspin-putter-unauthorized-charges-to-credit-card-following-product-return-895211

http://www.scambook.com/company/view/8187/Medicus-Golf Read all these complaints; http://www.complaintsboard.com/complaints/medicus-golf-c30400.html http://www.trustlink.org/Reviews/Medicus-Golf-206406233

The internet is full of consumers having fraud committed against them by this company.

I'd opt for Orange Whip or Momentus.

Being able to hit balls also has a downside.  Folks will try to swing as hard as possible eventually, and do you want that much momentum taxing your rotator cuffs in the swing?  Not me.  It's nice to be able to hit balls but gotta keep the intensity lower.

Max Prokopy

University of Virginia

I had the 5 iron years ago. My feeling that it surely will work if you let it work at a slow tempo. For me it made me use a slower tempo than what I naturally use. I could not be as consistent that way, so got rid of it.

• 1 year later...
I find it a true shame to learn a company that I once dealt with, had a great relationship with and offered a product one could really learn with has fallen from grace in so many eyes. I have owned a Medicus driver & 5 iron for about 10 years and I still use them before practicing and before rounds. They really help me keep my swing on plain. I really don't mind the slower backswing because it really helps an old man (47 when I started using them) stay slow and steady in the backswing then lets me release full bore going foward. At 57 I am hitting my Diablo 9.5 degree farther and straighter than driving at any other time in my life. 250+ is the norm with a hefty 270 final tape via gps and the scorecard is not unusual. For me, that's more than enough.

I have the 5 iron some where. Not sure where. I used it when I first got it. I found it so frustrating to use, but I could also see where it could help. I have to believe that I did not give it enough time before giving it home in a dark corner of the garage. .

There was also a long span of time where I tried to find who made, or had those hinges. Once I did find the info I was looking for, I was told of course,  the hinges were proprietary and to basically take a hike. I had this idea to put one on a putter, so it would fit in my suitcase. :-$

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I have the 5 iron and pull it out once in a while to check my swing.   My Orange Whip is a better training tool for me to help with tempo and swing plane.

It seems that I can swing the Medicus w/o it breaking and still have a slight out to in path.   With the Orange Whip, I'm always getting my path on a better plane.

Both have merit but I use the Orange Whip more often.

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

• 1 year later...

I just bought one yesterday, practiced with it then, and again today, and took it with me on a practice round today, took a couple practice swings with it before each drive, cheating I know, but it improved my swing markedly.

I had fired my driver and was playing from the yellows so I could even sniff par, but I saw this on sale at Dicks and had some money burning a hole in my pocket so I bought it figuring I would be returning it next Sunday. Anyway, swinging the Medicus was not my only change, I thought about why I was slicing again, and revisited the grip thread, but it would break on takeaway, other than that it was fine, so I didn't think it would make that big a difference, but I practiced the "single piece" takeaway so it wouldn't break, and slowing it down gave me more time to think about my swing plane, and once I got the club cocked, I felt like I could really swing it, and I did.

I had to make a couple more adjustments, but the first hole I played, I hit it the furthest I had this year on that hole, and had a birdie look, if I could have closed it with the putt. Next hole I also had a great result, and except for a couple of mishits, my driving went from insufferable to respectable, at least for me.

I had completely stopped keeping score. I will start again. I was planning on getting a lesson, and I still will, but I will take a better swing in with me, I think. I need to get more distance still, straight and not very long is not the road to scoring, but slicing and even shorter is a harder road yet!

Edited by Moppy

I  am also interested in the product(s) but am very leery after reading some of the complaints above. Noticed they are a few years old. Have there been any very recent compaints of fraudulent activity?

"James"

:titleist: 913 D3 with Aldila RIP Phenom 60 4,2 Regular Shaft,  :touredge: Exotics XCG-7 Beta 3W with Matrix Red Tie Shaft:touredge: Exotics EX8 19 deg Hybrid w UST Mamiya Recoil F3 Shaft:touredge: Exotics EX9 28 deg Hybrid w UST Mamiya Recoil F3  shaft, / Bobby Jones Black 22 deg Hybrid:touredge: Exotics EXi 6 -PW  w UST Mamiya Recoil F2 Shaft, SW (56),GW (52),LW (60):touredge:  TGS),/ ODDYSEE Metal-X #7 customized putter (400G, cut down Mid Belly)

22 hours ago, Hacker James said:

I  am also interested in the product(s) but am very leery after reading some of the complaints above. Noticed they are a few years old. Have there been any very recent compaints of fraudulent activity?

I got mine at Dicks on sale for $129. If it doesn't do anything for you, it only identifies some flaws after all, return it and get your money back. It helped me a lot, I think. But I can see how it will help high handicappers more.

Note: This thread is 2787 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!