Note: This thread is 1053 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

They tend to come right at the limit, and I'm not sure you can really do much before they become illegal. Groove rules go down to the thousandth of an inch. I suggest it's not worth the hassle. Clea

Read the first page of this thread.   @iacas answered it I believe in the second post many years ago.

• Administrator
What tools do you guys use, such as a dremel or a special tool? And how far can you sharpen them before they become illegal?

They tend to come right at the limit, and I'm not sure you can really do much before they become illegal. Groove rules go down to the thousandth of an inch.

I suggest it's not worth the hassle. Clean them and then forget about them.
  • Informative 1
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• 1 year later...
I received the Izzo Golf Club Medic Groove Tool as a gift last year ( http://www.tgw.com/customer/category...TEGORY_ID=4817 ). I thought it was gimicky but after using the tool it actually works pretty well. Doesn't take that much effort and has pretty nice results, now as for backing balls up no tool is going to give you that. The only concern I had with this tool is I'm still not sure if the tool regrooves or sharpens with a V groove pattern. I believe it does use a v groove but there is a tool at golfsmith that has a V and a U bit. That might be a better option, but this one works well and at 9.95 it doesn't hurt the wallet. Plus its bright green so its really hard to lose it around the house.

Just stick a little skateboard tape on the face of your club, that should do the trick just fine..........it's not legal, but is sure is fun to hit a high flop shot on the practice green and bring a ball back 15 feet. People immediately freak out and ask you how you do it. It's a fun way to start up a conversation with people.

• 1 month later...
Hey folks, have any input on a good quality groove sharpener that wont break the bank? I have tried the IZZO tool ($9.95) but it was dull after one wedge. I was looking for something that I can use for a while without replacing it. Thanks

really? thats really strange, I've had the izzo tool for over two years now and I sharpen my wedges almost once a week when I clean my clubs. When I turn the edge down on my wedges I can see fresh scoring lines and my wedges always check up for me. Thats really strange, sorry to hear that man.

check out golfworks, golfsmith.com - they should have one, under 20 bills

really? thats really strange, I've had the izzo tool for over two years now and I sharpen my wedges almost once a week when I clean my clubs. When I turn the edge down on my wedges I can see fresh scoring lines and my wedges always check up for me. Thats really strange, sorry to hear that man.

No kidding, mine seemed to dull almost instantly. I did get good results on the one wedge, but after that it was almost worthless. Maybe I got one from a bad batch or something. Just curious, are you using a softer forged iron? That could be the difference.

• 5 months later...
I was talking with my golfing partner about sharpening the grooves on our wedges.

I have seen the Club Medic Groove Sharpener that resembles a "utility knife" with a blade that looks as though it sharpens the grooves.

Has anyone had any experience with this? Or, is there another was to get sharper grooves. I love my wedges and I'm not looking to replacing them but would like the "new groove" feel again.

Hey i have the best piece of advice for you. I sharpen my grooves with a paint can opener. you know the ones that get under the lid. They are medal and are perfect size to fit in the grooves of a wedge.. best wishes kid

I was talking with my golfing partner about sharpening the grooves on our wedges.

The reviews on this were not very good. What you can try is find a local club fitter. Either have him make a recommendation or have him sharpen the grooves for you.

You can also reach out to The Iron Factory. They refinish heads, good as new and it's less expensive than purchasing a new club.

Note: This thread is 1053 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!