IGNORED

Cheap yet most reliable/convenient laser range finder

Note: This thread is 5393 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Absolutely. Best out there. Leupold is a trusted name in scopes and rangefinders with military accuracy for many years.

TomDonS - Seems like you have experience with the laser range finders. Do the range finders allow you to "shoot" a ball to determine how far you just hit a ball?

Thanks!

TomDonS - Seems like you have experience with the laser range finders. Do the range finders allow you to "shoot" a ball to determine how far you just hit a ball?

If you can pick it off the ground from a distance say on the green or really tight fairways yes. The ball has reflective properties that will allow the laser to hit it. But that being said it is tough to hit the ball. Leupold has a max effective Pin range to 350 yards which is Awesome. It really seperates fore from background so there is no question that you are getting the right yardage.

The leupold compared to the Bushnell 1500. I have owned both. Bushnell has pinseeker, leupold has pinhunter. The reticles on the leupold are much more suited to the eye in my opinion. The leupold has 7 different reticles to choose from. If you need a tournament legal one the GX-1 is by far the better unit and 100bucks cheaper at least. The leupold also has a club selector where you enter in multiple club personal distances and it makes a club suggestion according to the yardage. THe non legal one also has Slope, temperature, altitude, it has everything but a microwave basically. But not USGA tournament legal. HANDS DOWN GX-1 Leupold 11 out of 10 times.

:taylormade: R9 9.5d with Fujikura Motore 65 Stiff
ss-07 13deg 3 wood Graphite Design Purple Ice 85-S
Md-17 1i/4w UST V2 Tour Hybrid X
A3 Pro 20 Tour Prototype Mitsubishi Javln X
MP 57 4,5,6 Project X 6.5 MP 67 7,8,9 Project X 6.5 Vokey 200 series 48d Project X satin 6.5/ Vokey 09SMTC 54.11...

• 3 months later...
I didn't want to start a new thread so I will add something that happened to me today. I have had the Leupold GX-1 for a few months now, and for the first time I had the opportunity to play with a guy who had a GPS. In almost every instance, I was quicker to draw an accurate number and was glad I made the decision I got the laser than a GPS. He seemed to have a difficult time getting numbers right away (which I know can be attributed to certain factors). He had the benefit of certain yardages off the tee to front/back of bunker edges and whatnot, but overall I feel the laser rangefinder is the way to go. The Leupold was a great choice for me.

Driver: Cobra S2 9.5 Fubuki 73 Stiff | Wood: Titleist 909H 17 Aldila Voodoo Stiff | Irons: Titleist ZB 3-5, ZM 6-PW DG S300 | Wedges: Titleist Vokey SMTC 50.08, 54.11, 60.04 DG S200 | Putter: Scotty Cameron Fastback 1.5 33" | Ball: Titleist Pro V1x

He had the benefit of certain yardages off the tee to front/back of bunker edges and whatnot

Can you just shoot those distances w/the GX-I? I just got one but haven't had the chance to play with it yet.

Yonex Ezone Type 380 | Tour Edge Exotics CB Pro | Miura 1957 Irons | Yururi Wedges | Scotty Cameron Super Rat | TaylorMade Penta

In most cases you can't get front/middle/back with any laser, but you can always get the exact distance to the flag if you can see it. I find it fairly easy to get a distance to bunkers, lakes, hills, trees etc. with my laser.

The main advantage of the laser over GPS is the accuracy. You're a 1.6 handicap so you can use the accuracy to fine tune your club selection and swing speed. Higher handicap (18+) golfers aren't usually accurate or consistent enough to need that kind of accuracy, so a GPS is a good way to go.

After using both, I would pick laser if I could only choose one. If you have access to both it's great, especially on a course you've never played.

If you want to get drive distances you just walk to the ball and point the laser back to the tee box. I bounce mine off things around the tee box like the yardage boards, garbage cans, benches etc.

I am in the market to get a laser range finder for the first time. I know completely nothing about this equipment. Could someone recommend me a decent yet reliable/convenient laser range finder? What would be the estimated price? Thanks.

I've got an old pocket-sized Nikon 500 from 2-3 years ago that I still use for hunting and golf and it's awesome. No slope on it, just distance, but that works fine for me. Should be able to pick one up for cheap used, assuming you trust buying used. I think the new model is the 550 and it's something like $249 online. I'm pretty sure Bushnell has a laser for $199 too. Not super-cheap, I know, but it should be a once-a-decade (or longer) purchase if you take care of it.

In my C-130 Cart Bag:

Driver: Titleist D2 10.5° Aldila R.I.P. 60
Woods Exotics CB4 15° Aldila R.I.P. 70
Hybrids Exotics CB4 17°, 22° Aldila R.I.P. 80 

Irons 4-PW MP-57 Project X 6.0, MP-29 PW

Wedges  Eidolon 52°, 60° Rifle Spinner 6.5

Putter Bettinardi BB12

Ball One Black

Rangefinder Nikon Laser 500"Golf...

THe non legal one also has Slope, temperature, altitude, it has everything but a microwave basically. But not USGA tournament legal.

I ordered a GX-2, also based on your opinion.

Wont use it anyway during a real round. Only for practice rounds and working on the range.

In my Tour Combo Bag:

Driver: Superquad 9.5°
5W: 2008 Burner 18°
3H: Idea Pro Gold 20°4H: 2008 Burner Rescue 22°Irons: MP52 R300 5-PWedges: Vokey SM 50.08, 54.11, 58.04, 60.11Putter: Itsy Bitsy SpiderBall: TP Red

Note: This thread is 5393 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!