IGNORED

What Does the Average Weekend Golfer Shoot?

SLeDHeaDDude800
Note:Β This thread is 1261 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic.Β Thank you!

I read in golf digest once if your only a weekend golfer your average
should be around 96. So what doo you guys and gals think? Think
this is a true or false statement? Thought this would be kind of fun,
too see how many crazy answers we get. BTW I just joined
and this is my very first thread on this forum. When I mean weekend
you basically play 1 round a week in the Great Lakes area From April 15-
Oct 30th for a guestuation. LOL

My guess is that the average golfer that plays once a week shoots 100-110.

Im sure there are some that play much better and dont have the time to get out there but if we're talking average then that is my guess.
Driver-Taylor Made R7 460cc 10.5* Fujikara REAX Stiff
Fairway Wood-Taylor Made R7 Draw 15* Fujikara REAX Stiff
Hybrid Taylor Made 19* Rescue Mid Steel Stiff
4-PW-Golfsmith G40 TT Lite XL Stiff
GW-Ben Hogan Riviera 8* Bounce 50*SW-Ben Hogan Riviera Medium Bounce 56*LW-Cleveland 60* 588 ChromePutter-Taylo...

Yeah, my guess would be somewhere on the plus side of 100. It takes some level of commitment to shoot in the 90s.

Of course, this is assuming that the golfers in question are honest with their scorecards.

"I played like shit." -Greg Norman after the '96 Masters.

I've always questioned the USGA saying that the average golfer has a handicap around 17. That may be true based on their stats. However, what do you think the percentage of golfers are that actually have a handicap? I would guess less than 25%. It's probably safe to assume the golfers who actually have handicaps are more serrious and on average better players. There are obviously exceptions to both but I would agree that the average weekender probably struggles to break 100 regularly.
Driver: 9.5Β° 905R Stiff Aldila NV 65
3 Wood: 15.Β° Pro Trajectory 906F4 Stiff Aldila VS Proto Blue
Hybrid: 19.0Β° 503 H Stiff Dynamic Gold S400
Hybrid: 21.0Β° Edge C.F.T. Ti Stiff Aldila NVS
Irons: 775cb 4-GW w/S300 Sand Wedge: Vokey 58Β° Puttter: Laguna Mid-Slant Pro PlatinumBall: ProV1Bag: Li...

100+

The average score in our golf league is 50 (with limits on double-par). So 100 is not only a nice round number, but probably pretty close. But if you made every golfer play by the rules (i.e. holing every putt out, no "drop for stroke and distance", etc)?

110+

There is some ugly golf out there folks...

Fairways and Greens.

Dave
Β 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I play twice a weekend if possible (sat and sun but no weekdays unfort) and shoot low 80s. I am currenty a 6.

Id guess I'd still qualifiy as a weekend golfer. I putt everything out and take stroke and distance penalties.

Id love to get some more time in to improve my short game.

bridgestone j33r 460 V2 75 Stiff
HiBore Fairway 15 V2 75 Stiff
hybrid HiBore19 S300
bridgestone j33b 3-PW S300
Vokey 52 GP Vokey 58 LWyes sophia Putter 33Titleist v1x - bridgestone B330Home Course: Bethpage

Have you always played just twice a week? or were you an avid golfer a few years ago, b/c although it has been years, your swing comes back. i think if you have played 1 time a week your whole likfe its 100+, but if you were once an avid golfer it can vary a lot.my friend plays 2 times a week and shoots 70's...just depends
What's In The Bag?

Driver - Rapture 10.5 Epic 68g X-Pure - Balance Certified
Fairway Metal - Titleist PT 18Β°
Irons - Mizuno MP-67 3-PW Project X 6.0 Wedges - Mizunos R Series Chrome 52Β°, 56Β°, 58Β° Project X 6.0 Putter - Yes! C-Groove Callie-f - Balance Certified Bag - Ping Freestyle...

this is a really good distinction.

yeah i played competitively as a junior but left the game for a number of years (almost 20!) but now i really only get a chance to play on weekends.

So in someways im not a 'weekend golfer" but in another way, I really am.

I guess it just goes to show how these seemingless straight forward definatiosn we use can sometimes point to different scenarios.

i dont know what it worse tho, not ever being able to break 100 or once being able to break 80, remembering youself doing once it regularly, and now watching yourself shoot 82 lol.

hybrid HiBore19 S300
Vokey 52 GP Vokey 58 LWyes sophia Putter 33Titleist v1x - bridgestone B330Home Course: Bethpage

This is an interesting discussion because it brings to mind something Tom Kite once said. Which was that he couldn't understand how golfers playing only on weekends could break 80... which, obviously, some do. I think the 95-105 range is a pretty realistic. I also think there is too much emphasis on a score here in the states. Watching the Scots play their four ball matches in 3 hours or less accompanied by their dogs I think I got a glimpse of what golf can be. Pure recreation. While trying to get better is part of the charm of the game, I think we sometimes lose some pleasure trying to match "TV" golf and measure our performance against the best in the world. I try to remember that the fun isn't in just shooting a good score, it's being outside in a beautiful place, busting the chops of my friends (and getting busted) and generally having a great ol' time. And some of the best rounds I've had are when the score really didn't matter.
  • Upvote 3

Jack Waddell
The Sand Trap .com

In My Bag (for now):TaylorMade Burner 9.5 REAX 50 stiffBobby Jones 3W, Fuji TP 26.3 stiffAdams Idea Pro 2, 3, 4 Iron hybrids, Aldila VS Proto stiffAdams Idea Pro Forged 5-PW, TT Black Gold stiffTitleist Vokey 252.08 Tour ChromeTitleist Vokey Spin Milled 58.08...

id concur w/tom kite.

I played at a very high level nationally in canada as a junior and even tho i still have some game, its pretty well impossible for me to consistently break 80 with weekend play only.

I just dont have the time (or practice facilities here in NYC) to hone my touch around the greens and from 100 yards and in.

personally my enjoyment comes (or came) from trying to improve, whether thats a score or working on certain things and being able to use them during a round (eg: that might be something mental).

Now using them sucessfully isnt really the point, hope that makes sense. It might not reflect in my immediate score or it might even make it worse (im think about trying to be more agreesive wit hmy wedge play). But atleast getting over that hump and using it on the course seems enjoyable to me.

I guess in NA we're just plain screwed lol

Cheers

hybrid HiBore19 S300

• Administrator
This is an interesting discussion because it brings to mind something Tom Kite once said. Which was that he couldn't understand how golfers playing only on weekends could break 80

Then you have Bruce Lietzke, who would only play a few times a month, and break 70 on PGA Tour courses.

So, seriously, every time I think of not playing often I'm reminded of him. Also, think about how well some of us play after an extended layoff (like winter).
Watching the Scots play their four ball matches in 3 hours or less accompanied by their dogs I think I got a glimpse of what golf can be. Pure recreation.

Indeed. I wish we had the mentality to play match play here more frequently, but we do not.

Erik J. Barzeski β€” β›³Β I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. πŸŒπŸΌβ€β™‚οΈ
Director of InstructionΒ Golf EvolutionΒ β€’Β Owner,Β The Sand Trap .comΒ β€’Β Author,Β Lowest Score Wins
Golf DigestΒ "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17Β &Β "Best in State" 2017-20Β β€’ WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019Β :edel:Β :true_linkswear:

Check Out:Β New TopicsΒ |Β TST BlogΒ |Β Golf TermsΒ |Β Instructional ContentΒ |Β AnalyzrΒ |Β LSWΒ | Instructional Droplets

I would source this if I could remember where I read it, but the average score for male golfers is 97, the average mens' handicap is 15, but only around 20% of players actually maintain a legal U.S.G.A. handicap.

"My swing is so bad I look like a caveman killing his lunch." ~Lee Trevino

Currently playing Maltby C.E.R. 701u

Build your own...Total cost of my complete set of golf clubs: 500 bucks.Beating a guy who sports a $2000 bag of : priceless.

On Sundays I work as the morning starter at a local course so I get to see first hand the game of the average weekend golfer. I would speculate that less than 10% of the people I send off the first tee can break 100. Really in truly its pretty ugly. Only about half of them even get it airborn. The great thing though is 100% of them are still having fun.

DannyΒ  Β  In my :ping:Β Hoofer Tour golf bag on myΒ :clicgear: 8.0 Cart

Driver:Β Β Β :pxg:Β 0311 Gen 5Β  X-Stiff.Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β Β Irons:Β Β :callaway:Β 4-PW APEX TCB IronsΒ 
3Β Wood:Β :callaway:Β MavrikΒ SZ RogueΒ X-StiffΒ  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Nippon Pro Modus 130 X-Stiff
3 Hybrid: :callaway: Mavrik Pro KBS Tour Proto X   Wedges: :vokey:  50°, 54°, 60° 
Putter:Β :odyssey:Β Β 2-Ball Ten Arm LockΒ  Β  Β  Β Β Ball:Β :titleist: ProV 1

Β 

Β 

Β 

Β 

This is an interesting discussion because it brings to mind something Tom Kite once said. Which was that he couldn't understand how golfers playing only on weekends could break 80... which, obviously, some do. I think the 95-105 range is a pretty realistic. I also think there is too much emphasis on a score here in the states. Watching the Scots play their four ball matches in 3 hours or less accompanied by their dogs I think I got a glimpse of what golf can be. Pure recreation. While trying to get better is part of the charm of the game, I think we sometimes lose some pleasure trying to match "TV" golf and measure our performance against the best in the world. I try to remember that the fun isn't in just shooting a good score, it's being outside in a beautiful place, busting the chops of my friends (and getting busted) and generally having a great ol' time. And some of the best rounds I've had are when the score really didn't matter.

Well put tartan. I'm developing some of that enjoyment of the game myself. While I want to score lower (who doesn't) I enjoy celebrating good shots and being outside in a beautiful place. Golf is a great game.

Jeff

10.5Β° Callaway FT-iZ Tour

18Β°,Β 20Β°,Β 23Β° Adams Idea Pro Prototype Hybrid

4-9 Titleist 690.CB
48Β° Titleist Vokey Tour Nickel
54Β°, 58Β° Titleist Vokey Tour Oil Can

Scotty Cameron NP2, 33"

i play once a week and the lowest i ever shot was a 90 and that was completely by the rules. Going to try and practice all next week then see how the week end goes. But im usaly good for 2 birdies and four or five pars

Driver-Wilson Deep Red II .428 shaft (stiff)
3 Wood-Mizuno T-Zoid Blue Rage (stiff)
5 wood-Mizuno T-Zoid Blue Rage (stiff)
3 Iron Hybrid- Wilson fat shaft(17*)
4 Iron Hybrid- Wilson fat shaft(21*)5-PW-Wilson fat shaft52-56-68 Degree wedges- Wilson HarmonizedPutter- Top Flite Mallet

On Sundays I work as the morning starter at a local course so I get to see first hand the game of the average weekend golfer. I would speculate that less than 10% of the people I send off the first tee can break 100. Really in truly its pretty ugly. Only about half of them even get it airborn. The great thing though is 100% of them are still having fun.

Well, from my own observations over time, most golfers also cheat for around 6-10 strokes a round (mulligans, gimme putts, moving the ball around in the fairways, etc.), so given the average score of 97 the majority of players would NOT break 100 if they were playing honest. I can't really understand how playing at that level could be fun for anyone, though. Granted, some of you may look at my handicap and think the same thing about my game, but at least I have the realistic hope of hitting a good golf shot when I tee it up. I've seen some poor souls out there who couldn't kill a squirrel in less than 20 strokes if it was staked out on the ground in front of them.

Build your own...Total cost of my complete set of golf clubs: 500 bucks.Beating a guy who sports a $2000 bag of : priceless.

i play once a week and the lowest i ever shot was a 90 and that was completely by the rules. Going to try and practice all next week then see how the week end goes. But im usaly good for 2 birdies and four or five pars

How is your handicap 15 when your best score is 90?

IN THE BAG

Driver: R580 W/ Fujikura VistaPro Eighty S Flex
Woods: 15* 300 series R80
Irons: TaylorMade RAC LT T Step Professional 110-gram steel RegularWedge: TP Rac Black Y Cutter 52/8 56/12Putter: Nubbins M2Ball: Bridgestone e5Course: League @ Bedford Hills

Sole:

Maybe his home course is Pine Valley?

Note:Β This thread is 1261 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic.Β Thank you!