IGNORED

What Does the Average Weekend Golfer Shoot?

SLeDHeaDDude800
Note: This thread is 1259 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Tom View Post
None

Well, from my own observations over time, most golfers also cheat for around 6-10 strokes a round (mulligans, gimme putts, moving the ball around in the fairways, etc.), so given the average score of 97 the majority of players would NOT break 100 if they were playing honest. I can't really understand how playing at that level could be fun for anyone, though.

Some people don't actually care about the score, they just enjoy the time out on the course.    Several in my family are that way.    In fact, half of them have no idea what their actual score was.    But they have fun and ultimately, that is (or should be) the most important part of the game.

Back to the topic, I remember reading something a while back about the average score for an average male golfer.  That average was 108.    I doubt someone who only plays once a weekend is going to play any better than that 108 average.

Razr Fit Xtreme 9.5* Matrix Black Tie shaft, Diablo Octane 3 wood 15*, Razr X Hybrid 21*, Razr X 4-SW, Forged Dark Chrome 60* lob wedge, Hex Chrome & Hex Black ball

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I'm one of those guys who does not want to keep score.  Played as much as 6-7 times a week for years and about 2 weeks before my son was born, walked 2 rounds 79 & 78 playing strict rules.  Now only play 2/month if weather permitting.  Waiting on the little guy to ride with me and go back to at least 1 round per week.

To the gent with the Roll Tide ball, I've found it best to play when AL football is on tv, the entire course is dead, and I can get updates from folks on their porches.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm one of those guys who does not want to keep score.  Played as much as 6-7 times a week for years and about 2 weeks before my son was born, walked 2 rounds 79 & 78 playing strict rules.  Now only play 2/month if weather permitting.  Waiting on the little guy to ride with me and go back to at least 1 round per week.

To the gent with the Roll Tide ball, I've found it best to play when AL football is on tv, the entire course is dead, and I can get updates from folks on their porches.

Well, I coach high school football and the last thing I feel like doing on Saturday morning after football Friday's is golf. Plus, if Bama is on TV I'm watching! RTR '12!

In The Bag:
Driver: 
 RBZ 10.5*
3 Wood:  RBZ 15 *
Hybrids G15 17* & 20*
Irons​ G2 4-UW 
Wedges:  Vokey 54*
Putter:  MC-03w
Balls:  PD Soft

i play 18-27 holes every sunday and i try to get in 18 more on tuesdays (my normal days off) i follow all proper golf rules and etiquette and i shoot consistently mid 70's to low 80's (75 to 83 on average) ive only been the the range 3x this year (since march). i shot 79 my first round of the year after a layoff from october til march here in NY.  i actually had a round cut short this sunday where i was -2 through 14 holes and was forced from the course by an intense lightning/thunder storm. im actually shocked when people i play with cant break 100. maybe i should temper my expectations?

Im very happy with a low 80s day.  88 is a very normal day.  90s is a bad day.  I play by all rules except if it hit a ball a little off, go to look for it and can't find it. Instead of going all the way back to the tee and holding the group up behind me, I just take a drop from my best guess. Whatever really, I'm just out there having fun.

I would say the normal "average" men I have played with shoot a real 95-105.  Surprising enough.  I would say the "average" woman I play with shoots 90-100.  Maybe its just where I live, but the women around here can play some golf. And women will lie a LOT less than us men about strokes and shots.

• 1 month later...

The game that is played by most weekend golfers is not quite golf so yep scores in the 80's or 90's is common. The average guy or gal playing golf, that  is by the rules, will easily shoot 100+.  The top amateurs shoot what most weekend hacks claim to shoot. So that tells you something right there.

I play in a league during the week and again on the weekend and I shoot in the nineties (I'm a work in progress). Judging by what I see out there, the average score would have to be WELL north of 100.

My personal definition of a weekend golfer is any player who averages playing 36holes every week. (or less)

What's in Paul's Bag:
- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha Driver
- Big Bertha Alpha 815 3-wood
- Callaway Razr Fit 5-wood
- Callaway Big Bertha 4-5 Rescue Clubs
-- Mizuno Mx-25 six iron-gap wedge
- Mizuno Mp-T4 56degree SW
- Mizuno Mp-T11 60degree SW
- Putter- Ping Cadence Ketsch

Originally Posted by John Friedel

The game that is played by most weekend golfers is not quite golf so yep scores in the 80's or 90's is common. The average guy or gal playing golf, that  is by the rules, will easily shoot 100+.  The top amateurs shoot what most weekend hacks claim to shoot. So that tells you something right there.

It tells me that most "weekend hacks" aren't as passionate about golf as those willing to join internet golf forums and discuss their typical scores. Is that where you were going with that?

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

I play 18 maybe once ever 2 weeks, if I'm lucky 9 per week and I shoot high 90's/low 100s on average. Best round was a 92 this past summer, worst was a 120 I suppose that would make this thread pretty accurate. I would love to play more often and improve but I am too busy working to earn the money to pay the greens fees hahaha. For now, those scores will have to do!

Every weekend golfer I play along with is a club member and plays in club tournaments.

Does that fit the definition?

Now if average weekend golfer = casual weekend golfer when you have nothing else to do.. I expect to see 110+/- scores. The amount of tee shots that dribble about 75 yards confirms this average.

What's In My  Stand Bag

Driver:  FT-iZ 9*

Hybrids: C3 3,4,5

Irons: C3 6-GW

Wedges: C3 58*/8 and 54*/12

Putter:  blade

Ball: Gamer V2

http://cdn.thesandtrap.com/0/0d/150x50px-LL-0d81d772_tst_award_kickstarter_otm.png

My personal definition of a weekend golfer is any player who averages playing 36holes every week. (or less)

I won't argue your definition, it's yours after all, but I'd offer that 36 holes a week is over 100 rounds a year (prorated for season length). I'd tend to put someone like that more into the "avid" golfer category. My wife has I different term for it.....

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by Goonsidious

The amount of tee shots that dribble about 75 yards confirms this average.

Hey now, I play 10+ rounds a month and I'm a safe bet to do that once a round. I move my head, cast the club, straighten my back, something once every round on the tee, usually it will be at the turn in front of the club house so everyone on the patio can see hahahaha.

I play more than the average guy but I struggle by trying to "muscle" the ball for distance even though when I swing the way I was taught I do it very well. For some reason I try to replace my brains with brawn too many times a round or I'd shoot better scores. I've shot an 84 once on a course rated 69/109 but it was a fluke.

910 D2 10.5  910F 3w  910H 19*

712 AP1 4-GW  Vokey SM4 54* and 58*

Select Golo  E5

Originally Posted by DocParty

According to Lee Trevino:

(Las Colinas Country Club, Irving, Texas)

I heard him talking decades ago to some 'hackers' like myself about just this same point. (late late 70's or early 80's; I forget cause I'm old)

He said:

Look at how many golfers, pro golfers, enter a tournament.

Now look at how many don't make the cut.

Next look at the final scores, see how many shot even or better golf.

It's a minority of the number that entered, and these guys are Pros.

Why would a weekend golfer ever expect to go out and shoot par golf? Pros don't do it every day and they do it for a living.

He went on to say, a lot of people play golf but not a lot know how to play it by the rules which affects ones score tremendously.

If a week end golfer, someone that plays once a week (and in this case not even once a week since weather and winter shuts down some players outings) could shoot bogie or better golf by the USGA rules, he has accomplished a huge task.

Shooting bogie golf, by the rules, is as hard for a weekender as shooting par golf is for a Pro.

A weekender is supposed to enjoy the game, unlike a pro that is at work when he plays.

Lastly he said he tells everyone:

Learn to hit a club, any club, 150 yards straight down the center of the fairway, plus whatever bounce and roll you can get and you'll average 175 yards off the tee. Learn to hit a 20 foot diameter circle as your target.

Next learn to do the same thing a 10 yard reduced increments (150-140-130-etc) until you can do it every time, at any distance and you will be ready to play bogie golf.

An average par 4, I assume is @ 450 yards? If it's less and many are this works out for us even better. Check your score cards and do the math yourself. It's amazing how simple this application works. And imagine how it will change if you can hit a dead straight drive (that's right 'dead straight') 200, maybe 220 yards!!!!!!

450 yard par 4 hole broken down per Lee's guidelines:

450-175=275

275-175=100

100 left to the green

(now you are in the area you were to perfect your shots from 150 to 10 yards) you are on the green ready for a 2 put.

Bogie golf with no hazards or lost balls.

If you practice with your pitching and putting to the same degree that you practiced and achieved the 150 to 10 yard shots (all expected to land in a 20 foot circle) you'll one put some of those and could do better than bogie or at least pick up some strokes for those holes where you did not fare so well.

Worked for me for 15 years until I quit back in 1994.

Now my youngest son, 25, is interested in the game and I've  pulled out my old MacGregor CG1800's and it's amazing how easy it was to get back into the swing of things after learning his suggestion back in the early 80's. I'm shooting 95 as an average after 4 months hitting balls at the range and playing only 5 rounds of golf so far, but I believe I'll be back to a 90 by the end of the year consistently playing by USGA rules exclusively.

Golfs fun, why let the score ruin your day? I don't even let my son keep his score at this time. We just acknowledge pars, bogies, double bogies and so on. He's not stressed because of his scoring, YET.

My best to you all.

Doc

I think playing this way is a horrible idea unless you are playing strictly for score in a tournament or something.  You will never get better if you don't learn how to hit your driver a decent distance.  You are basically conceding par if you play like this on any hole longer than 400 yards.  Quite often than not you will make double or worse if you mishit any of your shots on the hole.  I wouldn't recommend this to anyone.  Go get a couple of lessons and work on your game on the range.  Tell yourself that duffing/sculling/topping shots is simply not acceptable and learn how to not do it (it isnt hard at all if you make a concerned effort to do it).

Anyone can shoot in the 70's barring some physical disability.  Talent matters at the highest levels of golf only.  Id even argue you could pay/work your way to playing collegiate golf if you wanted to and had the resources.

Also anyone telling you hitting the ball farther doesn't correlate to better scores is lying to you.  There is a strong relationship between swing speed and handicap.  I don't need someone telling me that "well im a 20 handicap but I have a 120mph swing speed!" because sure there are outliers everywhere, but if you look at top amateur golf and professional golf, there are far more guys that hit it 290-300 than guys who hit it 250 off of the tee.

Originally Posted by David in FL

I won't argue your definition, it's yours after all, but I'd offer that 36 holes a week is over 100 rounds a year (prorated for season length). I'd tend to put someone like that more into the "avid" golfer category.

My wife has I different term for it.....

Yea, spouses are great!  Hehe... Weekend golfers can be passionate too......I know some who even play "REAL GOLF" by the rules.   I know a few......

I don't mean that as a knock....I'm just saying that 2x a week is weekend golfer.  I'm not trying to say weekend golfers are lesser golfers.  It's all about the passion..

What's in Paul's Bag:

[QUOTE name="David in FL" url="/t/2123/what-does-the-average-weekend-golfer-shoot/54#post_769475"] I won't argue your definition, it's yours after all, but I'd offer that 36 holes a week is over 100 rounds a year (prorated for season length). I'd tend to put someone like that more into the "avid" golfer category. My wife has I different term for it.....[/QUOTE] Yea, spouses are great!  Hehe... Weekend golfers can be passionate too......I know some who even play "REAL GOLF" by the rules.   I know a few...... I don't mean that as a knock....I'm just saying that 2x a week is weekend golfer.  I'm not trying to say weekend golfers are lesser golfers.  It's all about the passion..

Twice a week, every week, is "avid" regardless which days they are.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

Originally Posted by sean_miller

Twice a week, every week, is "avid" regardless which days they are.

I agree there is overlap.......2x a week 'weekend golfers' can also be avid golfers.

What's in Paul's Bag:

I can only speak for myself, but I can only afford about $30 a week for golf; maybe. I try to keep it to 1 round (18 holes) a week. Now, that being said, the days I don't play, I practice. I'm grateful to have areas near and around my house where I can practice short game stuff without spending money (120 yards and in). If I go to the range that's $7 for a large basket of balls so I try to make it very effective, thinking about every shot and taking my time.

As far as the"average weekend golfer" I'd say you would have to look at how many hours a week go into his/her game. Right now, due to my schedule of events (no particular order of merit); job (8 hrs a day and maybe 1/2 a day OT on Saturdays), church band practice once a week, church services 3 times a week, work around the house, and spending time with my wife; I really try to put in at the minimum of 1 hour a day through the week for practice on some aspect of the game. Would I like to do more? Absolutely. I feel that the "average weekend golfer" doesn't practice very much if any, and might play every weekend if the mood strikes them. Golf is definitely low on the priority list for this sort.

My Bag:

Burner 9.5

X 3&5 Woods

DCI Gold 3- PW(48*) + 52* Vokey wedge

56* sand wedge

Cushin Putter

Note: This thread is 1259 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!