IGNORED

Can you "force" your game into blades?

chriskzoo
Note: This thread is 5506 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

ive played several rounds with a buddys old titleist blades. i honestly did not notice much difference between them and my pings besides the mis-hits stung like hell and traveled more to the right.. but i didnt lose as many yards as everybody said i would...

ball flight was lower, but distances were almost exactly the same. and my score was only 1 or 2 strokes higher compared to rounds played wiith my pings... (i blame my putting for that, not the blades though)

my confidence level seems to be higher when i address a shot with the blades, and i seem to be more focused on making a good swing rather than just hitting the ball... so i can see how you would "force" yourself into playing them... i can see my game improving if i played a set of muscle backs evey time..

i used to be scared of playing them because of the things ive heard/read about them.. but after playing a few rounds with them my fears have been diminished. they're not that bad at all.

not for me at least...

RBZ stage 2 driver & 3 wood

Original AP1 4-GW

Vokey 54.10 & 58.04

Scotty Newport 2

ive played several rounds with a buddys old titleist blades. i honestly did not notice much difference between them and my pings besides the mis-hits stung like hell and traveled more to the right.. but i didnt lose as many yards as everybody said i would...

This is more along my line of thinking. At the range when I hit blades I don't see huge drops in yardages, but I feel my mishits more. It's not a good feeling, but I guess I would rather feel the mishit than to wonder why my shot ended up right and 10 yards short.

Titleist 910D3 8.5* Aldila RIP
Titleist 910F 13.5* Diamana Kai'li
Nickent 4DX 20* and 24*
Tour Preferred 5-PW
52.08, 56.14, 60.04 Titleist Vokey

Odyssey Metal-X #9 Putter

Pro V1x

I have one more reason for playing blades that might sound totally ridiculous:

When I was demoeing taylormade burner plus and regular, I was hitting them great. And while contemplating buying them, a thought came to mind; if I just buy anything that will make the golf ball go toward the hole no matter how bad my swing is, why don't I just buy an "Iron Byron". I guarantee it will send the ball close every time.

I want my results to be because of the indian, not the arrow. I am not a pro and the results make no difference to me except my pride.

With those GI clubs, I know it sounds stupid, I feel like I would be cheating. It's the journey, not the destination. IMO

It may sound stupid to you, but my quest to be a <5 handicap would not be complete if I just "bought" my results.

Driver: Nike Covert Driver

Irons: Mizuno JPX-825 Pro 5-GW 

Cleveland Mashie 1, 2, 3, & 4 hybrids

Wedges: Mizuno MP-T4 Black Nickel 54* & 58*

Putter: Wack-e with super stroke grip

Ball: Titleist Pro V1X

You probably could force your game into blades, but why would you want to? Why make golf any harder than it already is?
If you are really that in love with the look of blades, go for it. Just know that you game will likely suffer because of it and your handicap and scores will go up.
With so many pros nowdays making the switch to a player's cavity back, I honestly dont see why anyone would choose to play blades.
Player's cavity backs have just as much workability as do blades and are more forgiving.

Whats in my :sunmountain: C-130 cart bag?

Woods: :mizuno: JPX 850 9.5*, :mizuno: JPX 850 15*, :mizuno: JPX-850 19*, :mizuno: JPX Fli-Hi #4, :mizuno: JPX 800 Pro 5-PW, :mizuno: MP T-4 50-06, 54-09 58-10, :cleveland: Smart Square Blade and :bridgestone: B330-S

If you have to "force" your game, forgive me, but you are in trouble. You should play the clubs that give you the most confidence, regardless of any stereotype. If a GI iron suits your eye, suits your swing, and you are confident in them, use them.

Very good post. I totally agree. If you can't hit blades nearly as well as cavities, don't buy them. If you score better with cavities, I'd go with them.

This is what I am talking about. People are afraid to hit blades because of what they hear. Then when they try one, as they stand over the ball, what are they thinking?

That's a good point. I wouldn't be intimidated by a blade, but don't think that they are easy to hit. That's certainly not the case. Misses will cost you. You should probably know already how good of a ball striker you are. Figure out how many shots are saved when you misshit a cavity.

When I was demoeing taylormade burner plus and regular, I was hitting them great. And while contemplating buying them, a thought came to mind; if I just buy anything that will make the golf ball go toward the hole no matter how bad my swing is, why don't I just buy an "Iron Byron". I guarantee it will send the ball close every time.

I couldn't disagree more. With that logic, why play a large driver that has a high MOI and much forgiveness?

I used to think that technology was cheating my game a bit (and it probably is), but that's what golf today is. We have all of these great clubs. Why would anyone not play with the best one for his or herself? I think you'd be cheating your game if you didn't buy what is right for you right now (or in the near future). I think you'd benefit from buying a used set of blades to use when you practice. That way you can really feel your misses. It would be more of a training device.

In my Ogio Ozone Bag:
TM Superquad 9.5* UST Proforce 77g Stiff
15* Sonartec SS-2.5 (Pershing stiff)
19* TM Burner (stock stiff)
4-U - PING i10 White dot, +1.25 inches, ZZ65 stiff shafts55*/11* Snake Eyes Form Forged (DGS300)60*/12* Snake Eyes Form Forged (DGS300)Ping i10 1/2 MoonTitleist ProV1

I couldn't disagree more. With that logic, why play a large driver that has a high MOI and much forgiveness?

What do you mean you couldn't disagree more? It's MY decision making process for choosing MY clubs. I don't think that anyone else should necessarily use this process, but I did. There is no agreeing or disagreeing with it. Now if I espoused that others should use this method, then you can disagree since there would be something to disagree with.

If you want to use the most GI clubs available that will mask any swing you make and put the ball on the green, more power to you. And "cheating your game if you didn't buy what's right for you"? Another, everyone gets a juicebox and trophy mentality.

(As others have said) IMHO you should hit the irons that you are comfortable hitting. The improvement in off center performance of GI clubs (vs. modern musclebacks) is not a night and day thing - particularly 6i and shorter (but it isn't zero either).

But if GI clubs work for you play them. If you like musclebacks better - play them. I wouldn't do a force fit here.

When you get to 4i and shorter (and possibly starting at 5i) it is a different story. I played Hogan musclebacks for a while and ended up with "players cavity backs" and a generous allocation of hybrids (serious GI irons).

dave

In The Bag:
- Wishon 949MC 10.5* Driver
- Wishon 525 F/D 3W
- Wishon 515 949MC 5W
- Wishon 60* Cx Micro LW- Wishon 550M SW (55*)- Wishon 550M GW bent to 50* - Wishon 550C 6i - 9i (9i bent to 45*)- Wishon 321Li 3i/4i/5i hybrids- Odyssey Two Ball Putter

Didn't go to a full blade, but I switched from a King Cobra GI CB to the AP-2, and I did it for exactly that reason. I know that my swing used to be more precise than it has become, and I wanted to force myself to focus more. So far it seems to be working... I'm starting to hit more shots with that crisp sweet spot feel than I had in years. With the AP-2, when I miss it's a serious miss, like 20 or 30 yards, not the 5 yards that the same miss would be with the Cobras. And on those good hits, it feels SOOOOO good that I want to repeat it.

How do you like your AP2s?

if you want to play blades but you're not sure you have the game for it, DEMO a set of Nickent Arc Blades. they are VERY forgiving. i used these recently for 18 holes and was BLOWN away by how good they felt. give them a try. they are gorgeous too.

Wow it seems like you really like Nickent.

In My Hank Haney IJGA Bag
Driver: FT Tour 9.5 w/ Aldila Voodoo Stiff
3 Wood: i15 15.5 w/ avixcore red stiff
Hybrids: Rescue 09 19, 22 w/ fujikara fit on stiff
Irons: 4 & 5 MP-52, 6-PW MP-58 w/ KBS Tour Stiff Wedges: MP T-10 52*, 58* w/ KBS Tour StiifPutter: Fastback 1 34 inBall: : Pro...

There's a reason that only a very small percentage of the players on the tour use true blades.

I can't argue with the look of a club like the VRs, but I'd hate to ever buy any equipment that cost me strokes.

"take a couple weeks off - then quit for good"

- X-460 Tour 10.5 Fujikura Stiff
- War Bird 15deg 3 Wood
- MX-23 Irons
- Vokey 52 + 55deg wedges
- 900 60deg Low Bounce - Studio Design 1.5 - Pro V1x - SG4Sun Mountain Carry and Great Divider Cart Bags.

I pretty much did this last year, I went from the PING i5's to titleist zb forged, the game hurt for a couple rounds but once I got the feel to them I swear my swing is more consistent and im just hitting a better ball.

My Sticks:

909DCOMP 9.5° Titleist Matrix Ozik XCON-6
Fairway Burner 15.5° RE*AX TP 75g
Rescue TP 19° ZB Forged w/ Project X 6.0Scratch 52° TNC Grind Wedge, Polished Chrome FinishScratch 58° TNC Grind Wedge, Polished Chrome Finish Catalina Classic Limited Edition HX Tour ix

And "cheating your game if you didn't buy what's right for you"? Another, everyone gets a juicebox and trophy mentality.

I'm pretty sure if you don't buy what fits your game, your scores will suffer. If blades fit your game, go for it. However, most people can benefit from the added forgiveness of a cavity and should probably play cavities.

In my Ogio Ozone Bag:
TM Superquad 9.5* UST Proforce 77g Stiff
15* Sonartec SS-2.5 (Pershing stiff)
19* TM Burner (stock stiff)
4-U - PING i10 White dot, +1.25 inches, ZZ65 stiff shafts55*/11* Snake Eyes Form Forged (DGS300)60*/12* Snake Eyes Form Forged (DGS300)Ping i10 1/2 MoonTitleist ProV1

I'm pretty sure if you don't buy what fits your game, your scores will suffer. If blades fit your game, go for it. However, most people can benefit from the added forgiveness of a cavity and should probably play cavities.

Couldn't agree more.

Wll, in the end I was waffling back and forth between the AP2 and the TM Tour Preferred and pulled the trigger on the Tour Preferred's last night when I got them fnew or $539 shipped off ebay.

I figure if Retief is playing them, I can't complain LOL.

Titleist 910D3 8.5* Aldila RIP
Titleist 910F 13.5* Diamana Kai'li
Nickent 4DX 20* and 24*
Tour Preferred 5-PW
52.08, 56.14, 60.04 Titleist Vokey

Odyssey Metal-X #9 Putter

Pro V1x

Well, all I know is that when I was playing my slingshots I was shooting high 80s-low 90s. I bought my Mizunos and never lost a beat and now I have improved to high 70s. I am not saying that it was the blades that dropped my score, but they didn't hurt it by any means. If that were the case and I should be playing more forgiving clubs, then what would I be shooting with the slingshots??

Now when I decided to go to the blades everyone told me that I was stupid and would never be able to hit them. I hit them as good or better the very first time out and have not looked back. I have gained distance and control with them. The only time I ever hit them fat is when my lazy butt keeps my weight on my back foot. So, I say if you are thinking about blades, go hit a set. Don't be scared...they may not be as bad as people make them out to be.

Bryan A
"Your desire to change must be greater than your desire to stay the same"

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

As for me, I went from Mizuno MX-23s to Nike VR blades. I don't know whether it is my concentration level during my swing, but I hit the Nikes ~10 yards longer for the same club. Could it be because the Mizunos are 6 years old and since I am a range rat, each iron probably has about 10,000 strikes in them? I don't know.

What I do know, is that, I was afraid to even demo blades. The local pro had to convince me to give them a try. I was already going to buy a new set of irons this spring (a gift to myself for being promoted to Lieutenant Commander, active duty navy) so he wasn't just trying to get me to buy something I wasn't intending to.

After the first few swings and him telling me to just execute my normal swing and to forget about them being blades, I started to hit them really well. When my mind wasn't full of "you can't hit these" thoughts, I was able to just swing and hit them.

I was so afraid of making the leap to blades, because of all the "players" saying how difficult they are to hit, I hit the Nikes 5 days in a row and had an iron fitting at Golfer's Warehouse, before I pulled the trigger. My irrational fear was that, one day at the range could be luck. 2 days in a row could be a good groove. But, after 5 days of experiencing no more bad results than what I normally see with my Mizunos, I decided to man up and get the blades.

I fell in love with the ball flight, feel of the well struck shot, and the increased distance.

Because I am a disciple of Bobby Clampett's "The Impact Zone", he recommends blades due to the offset issue. That also played into my decision.

I will also add that I was veeeerrrrryyyy close to getting the Cleveland blades over the Nikes.

Wll, in the end I was waffling back and forth between the AP2 and the TM Tour Preferred and pulled the trigger on the Tour Preferred's last night when I got them fnew or $539 shipped off ebay.

Let us know how you hit them. I hit them well when I was looking for new irons. The felt real nice.

Note: This thread is 5506 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!