IGNORED

Light's Out for the rest of the NHL

Bryan72
Note: This thread is 5411 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Go Wing's. Cup will be ours again.

In my Xtreme Sport bag
'09 Burner 9.5*
F50 15* 3 Wood
Burner 18* 5 Wood
MX-19 4-GW SV Tour 54.12 & 58.08 White Hot 2-Ball SRT

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Let's be careful... there's no competition between good Canadian Markets and bad US markets, but Detroit, New York, Boston, and many other US cities have NO problem what ever sustaining hockey teams. In fact It wasn't long ago that Detroit sold more merchandise than any other team beside Toronto, and they still do very well. Some US cities are great for hockey... just as good as the strong Canadian markets... the problem with the league is the expansion into more questionable markets.

Detroit may be Hockeytown, but as far as no problem sustaining hockey teams you may want to ask Mike Illitch about that. Season ticket sales were way down and there were plenty of games where tickets were available on game day. In fact, just the other day I heard an ad on the radio saying playoff tickets were still available. This is with a team that are the defending Stanley Cup champs and had the 3rd best record in the league and was in contention for the Presidents Trophy until the last week of the season. I'm not insinuating that the Wings are struggling in Detroit, but it's not like the last 15 years where it was an automatic sellout.

I will remain optimistic and pick them for the cup, but I am more concerned with Vancouver than San Jose. Luongo is the best goalie in the world and I hate those damn Sedin twins.
Driver: 9.5° 905R Stiff Aldila NV 65
3 Wood: 15.° Pro Trajectory 906F4 Stiff Aldila VS Proto Blue
Hybrid: 19.0° 503 H Stiff Dynamic Gold S400
Hybrid: 21.0° Edge C.F.T. Ti Stiff Aldila NVS
Irons: 775cb 4-GW w/S300 Sand Wedge: Vokey 58° Puttter: Laguna Mid-Slant Pro PlatinumBall: ProV1Bag: Li...

Detroit may be Hockeytown, but as far as no problem sustaining hockey teams you may want to ask Mike Illitch about that. Season ticket sales were way down and there were plenty of games where tickets were available on game day. In fact, just the other day I heard an ad on the radio saying playoff tickets were still available. This is with a team that are the defending Stanley Cup champs and had the 3rd best record in the league and was in contention for the Presidents Trophy until the last week of the season. I'm not insinuating that the Wings are struggling in Detroit, but it's not like the last 15 years where it was an automatic sellout.

What is the presidents cup. sorry just started watching hockey. lol

In my callaway.gif Warbird Bag XXT Stand Bag:

callaway.gif Driver Diablo 9*
callaway.gif Hybrid 3H Diablo 21*
mizuno.gif MP-33's 3-pwcallaway.gifWedge 60* X-Forgedcallaway.gif Putter Ruthfords seriestitleist.gif Nxt Tour Ball

my rangers got a huge win last night. lundqvist played great. i still say he's the best goaltender in the nhl. the rangers defense is terrible, and we can't even score goals.

ovechkin had 13 shots on goal alone!!!

Driver Ping G10 10.5*
Hybrids Ping G5 (3) 19* Bridgestone J36 (4) 22*
Irons Mizuno MP-57 5-PW
Wedges Srixon WG-504 52.08 Bridgestone WC Copper 56.13
Putter 33" Scotty Cameron Studio Select #2

What is the presidents cup. sorry just started watching hockey. lol

Best record in the NHL regular season. As a Wings fan I can tell you how unimportant it is come playoff time, as we have been bounced in the first round by an 8 seed more than once.

Irons: 775cb 4-GW w/S300 Sand Wedge: Vokey 58° Puttter: Laguna Mid-Slant Pro PlatinumBall: ProV1Bag: Li...

That's more of a sign of Detroit's economic woes... and having a few tickets left on gamedays isn't all that big of a deal when other teams have trouble getting to 3/4 capacity. I stand by my statement that Detroit is a strong hockey market. Also, people have been spoiled the last 15 years with playoffs every year, and often times deep runs in such. Detroit and Michigan are always going to be a "hockey" area... just look at the number of skating rinks and youth programs we have.

Anyway... go Wings, nice first game, solid performance by Osgood. too bad for the Sharks and Calgary getting a rough start.
My Clubs: Callaway FT-i Tour LCG 9.5° w/ Matrix Ozik Xcon 6 stiff; Sonartec GS Tour 14° w/ Graphite Design Red Ice 70 stiff; Adams Idea Pro 2h(18°) & 3h(20°) w/ Aldila VS Proto 80 stiff; Adams Idea Pro Forged 4-PW w/ TT Black Gold stiff; Cleveland CG12 DSG RTG 52°-10° & 58°-10°; Odyssey...

That's more of a sign of Detroit's economic woes... and having a few tickets left on gamedays isn't all that big of a deal when other teams have trouble getting to 3/4 capacity. I stand by my statement that Detroit is a strong hockey market. Also, people have been spoiled the last 15 years with playoffs every year, and often times deep runs in such. Detroit and Michigan are always going to be a "hockey" area... just look at the number of skating rinks and youth programs we have.

I don't disagree with you at all about Detroit being a strong hockey market. It's just a lot different due to the ecconomy. Detroit and Michigan are at or near the top when you consider support of the Wings, NCAA and youth hockey.

The fringe fans are just not going to the games anymore. Crazy when you consider that they are hands down the top franchise of the last 15-20 years.

Best record in the NHL regular season. As a Wings fan I can tell you how unimportant it is come playoff time, as we have been bounced in the first round by an 8 seed more than once.

When winning the Presidents Trophy the Wings have only been bounced by an 8 seed once. It was Edmonton and they ended up in the Stanley Cup Finals. The media went nuts every time the Wings lost before the Conference Finals so it seemed that we lost more than we did. 2000-2001 was the last time the team that beat us in the playoffs

didn't advance to the Stanley Cup Finals. So even when we were getting beat it was the conference's hottest team beating us. And even though the Joe may not be selling out as regularly as it used to, that place still rocks with 80% capacity. It very much is a hockey town and Michigan is a hockey state. The northern half of the US follows hockey. If you go to bars when there is a good game on it will be playing instead of some crummy basketball game. Not true in the south, they'd watch a 1-0 baseball game in May before watching playoff hockey. That said though, nothing compares to Canada. When two Canadian teams match up in the playoffs it's insane. Blow horns every where, fights, literally insanity.

Driver - TaylorMade R7 425
3-Wood - Callaway Original Steelhead
Irons - Ben Hogan 3-PW Apex FTX, Rifle 6.5
Wedges - Titleist Vokey 52, 56, and 60
Putter - Scotty 2004 Newport Beach 1.5

When winning the Presidents Trophy the Wings have only been bounced by an 8 seed once. It was Edmonton and they ended up in the Stanley Cup Finals. The media went nuts every time the Wings lost before the Conference Finals so it seemed that we lost more than we did. 2000-2001 was the last time the team that beat us in the playoffs

I should have been more clear about the 8 seed. We did lose to San Jose in 1994 as the 1 seed. However we did not win the Presidents Trophy that year. It was the first time in history that a 1 lost to an 8.

Don't get me wrong. I am as big a Wings fan as there is and I am not bashing them or the fans. My original comment was that even as Hockeytown, they are struggling to sell out the Joe. This is obviously an economic thing. I would take a 1/2 filled Joe over a capacity crowd at almost any arena. Detroit has the most knowledgable hockey fans in the US and I would argue the world.

Firstly you’re all wrong. The time has come for San Jose and they will beat the shit out of Detroit. If there isanyone out there who doesn’t agree I welcome you to argue against me.

I'll take that bet.

San Jose consistently chokes when the playoffs role around. They don't have the staying power when the "2nd season" starts. It's like clockwork. Detroit is by far the best team in the league. You can't go down when you bring back nearly every player from a Stanley Cup winning team and add the best free agent (Hossa) on the market this past offseason.

The idea that there are hockey markets and non-hockey markets is true, but the lack of hockey fans in the U.S. is largely due to a lack of knowledge when it comes to the game. Kids don't grow up playing the game or watching it with their parents so they are not accustomed to just turning it on to check out the game much like basketball and baseball are staples of "american past-time". I wish it was different but it the definition of a niche sport these days. Not to mention the 2 "faces of the sport" are 1.a cry-baby, Crosby, and 2. a showman more than a hockey player.

Not to mention the 2 "faces of the sport" are 1.a cry-baby, Crosby, and 2. a showman more than a hockey player.

Couldn't agree more with #1, but your

if your #2 is referring to the 'Great 8'

Gus
---------------

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Administrator
Couldn't agree more with #1, but your

...says a guy who says "your" when he means to say "you're." That fits. Then again this thread is called "Light's out," so I don't know what all of this says about the average hockey fan.

I'm a Pens fan, always have been. Crybaby? Y'all need new material.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

great 8 and the caps looked great last night! i think they come back and win the series

I think if they play like they did last night they have a great chance to.

...says a guy who says "your" when he means to say "you're." That fits. Then again this thread is called "Light's out," so I don't know what all of this says about the average hockey fan.

I did not realize that I needed to be grammatically correct on a Golf Forum, but I will keep it in mind for next time to prevent any further insults.

Gus
---------------

Does it really matter?

Note: This thread is 5411 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!