IGNORED

Rules of the game.....

David in FL
Note: This thread is 5497 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Meh!

I don't see anyone getting overly worked up in this thread. It seems pretty calm, better than many rules discussions tend to go.

By the way, how did you arrive at a 4 handicap if not by playing the game in it's "pure" state? I would think that a low handicapper would be the last to accept "fudging" on the rules.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Administrator
I just don't understand why you wouldn't call it "playing golf".

Because golf has rules, and if you're making up different rules, you're making up a different game.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

This is why golf is different:

I think it is because every golfer is first competing against the course and than comparing that to how others played against the course. If someone improving their lie caused my lie to get worse, or if they took a muligan and than I was the one that was hitting 3 off the tee I would cry foul every time. Perhaps I would feel this way if I was playing a serious match play event but I don't do that. What I am saying is you are competing against the course you don't say I shot a 77 and Bob shot a 92 you say I shot a 77 at this course, and you are proud of that regardless of what your playing partner's did. I find that I play better when I am paired with better golfers and I feel good about my score even if someone I was playing with shot 10 strokes better than me, I did well against the course. Unfortunately the course can't talk or enforce penalties so people will always take advantage of that.

R9 with 757 Speeder
mp 57 3-pw project x 6.0 flighted
Vokey* 56* 60*
Monza Corsa Putter

A couple made up rules I see over and over are
1. If you duff off the first Tee...you get a freebe
2. One free Mulligan per side.

Generally, I don't care if they do it. If it makes the round more enjoyable for them I can overlook the kick out of the rough after they've take two or three hacks at it already.

With that said, as soon as they want to play for money, drinks, or whatever, those rules don't fly. However, in general, I find players that want to play for a prize, keep the rules (at least when everyone is looking)

Because golf has rules, and if you're making up different rules, you're making up a different game.

The rules of golf aren't even mentioned in the definition of the word golf, according to Dictionary.com.

golf   /gɒlf, gɔlf; Brit. also gɒf/ Show Spelled Pronunciation [golf, gawlf; Brit. also gof] Show IPA –noun 1. a game in which clubs with wooden or metal heads are used to hit a small, white ball into a number of holes, usually 9 or 18, in succession, situated at various distances over a course having natural or artificial obstacles, the object being to get the ball into each hole in as few strokes as possible. 2. a word used in communications to represent the letter G. –verb (used without object) 3. to play golf. -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Origin: 1425–75; late ME; of uncert. orig. Related forms: golfer, noun Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2009. Cite This Source After thinking about this a bit, it looks like we can identify four types of players that are relevent to David's original post. Purists that believe if you aren't playing by the rules, as written, you aren't even playing golf. Those learning, that can break some of the rules, so they have good lies, and don't become overly discouraged through the leanring process, but value the rules and want to play by them. Those that don't care about following the rules to the Tee, and only play golf casually (they may be learning to hit a ball, or already know how). Those that just don't give a damn about the rules. If this is acceptable, then you can probably deduce that the closer you are to being a purist, the more difficult it is to relate to someone that doesn't give a damn, and vice verse. Finally, it is my opinion that hitting a ball with a club, on a golf course, will continue to be recognized as golf, regardless of the rule set. Even by some purists.

In the bag:
Driver: Rapture V2, 9 degree, stiff shaft
Fairway Woods: X-Hot 3 wood
Hybrid: 3H
Irons: J36 PC 4-PW Project X 6.0 Shafts, FlightedWedges: CG14, 50 54 and 58 degree Putter: Guerin Rife 2 Bar with Winn grip B330S Pro V1x

• Administrator
The rules of golf aren't even mentioned in the definition of the word golf, according to Dictionary.com.

What's the relevance of the dictionary definition? Is breaking a pane of glass like on the Big Break "golf"? No. How about "mini golf"? If you want to call a scramble "golf" but not the Big Break or Putt Putt, then your idea of where that "line" exists just varies from mine.

My line sits where the rules end.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I have to say, that if you are using a club to hit a ball around a golf course you are playing golf. Regardless if you are following the rules or not.

If you are following the rules then you are inline with the spirit of the game.

If you are playing golf and not following the rules, that in most games is called "cheating." perhaps a refresher with the spirit of the game is in order.

Golf is played, for the most, part without the supervision of a referee or umpire. The game relies on the integrity of the individual to show consideration for other players and to abide by the Rules . All players should conduct themselves in a disciplined manner, demonstrating courtesy and sportsmanship at all times, irrespective of how competitive they may be. This is the spirit of the game of golf.

I think that most sports / games have rules that are ignored or broken. The nice thing about golf, is that when you find someone that plays for the love of the game and maintains the spirit of the game you can generally have a plesant time because it speaks to the character of the person. Regardless of the fact that you just met them.

If people cheat at something I have no problem with that. It is easy enough to spot them, and avoid them. If you can't have fun playing a game as intended, perhaps it is best to find another way to pass time and spend money or at least keep your "house" rules between you and your buddies.

Regards,
-E

In my Grom bag:

Driver........... Burner 9.5* S-Flex
3-Wood......... Burner 15* S-Flex
5-Wood......... Ovation 18* S-FlexIrons............. Pro Combos 3,5-PW Rifle 6.0Wedges......... CG12 52.10, 56.14, 60.10Putter............ 33" VP1 Milled PutterBall................ e6+ or B330-SRangefinder.....

I really like knowing the rules in the sports I play. But golf rules are intimidating. I AM new to the game, but I bought a rule book and didn't understand a thing... haha. There's so many rules in golf that the way I see it, the average player doesnt want to invest the time.

This thread reminds me of a Seinfeld episode where Kramer had gotten mad at his golf buddy for breaking the rules... haha. Something about cleaning a ball or something.

There was also some post on here about Golf's rules being important because of the nature of the sport. I agree! IMO, golf is a solo sport played against nature using certain rules. Because that's really the definition of sport. And I can totally understand why that would be a defining line on what "playing golf" actually is.

PERSONALLY, I'd like to learn the rules more notsomuch to penalize myself... but I'm pretty sure I'd get some extra advantage. As a noobie, I had a general idea of the golf rules, but seeing the pro's drop the ball multiple times... moving the ball a couple club lengths.... that's good stuff to know!

But also... sometimes I just wing it for practical reasons. Like switching balls on water holes because I don't want to lose my more expensive regular ball when I have plenty of cheapo balls for the losing. And I'm not about to hit my irons out of rocks. I did that with my old irons as an ambitious new golfer hitting everything "as it lies" only to gash the bottom of one.... but it WAS a good shot. Still not worth it. If I'm playing seriously I'll just drop it and take a penalty. Sometimes I'll kick it out and count that as a flubbed stroke. Sometimes I'll just move it a couple yards and not count a thing. If it's for practice or whatever it all depends.

My stance on it is to do what makes you happy. Just don't be ignorant about it. I KNOW I'm not as good as my scores and that the sport is harder playing for real. My only issue is really people that think they're good because they seem ignorant to their cheating. That's definitely annoying.

Driver: Tour Burner 9.5° Stock Stiff
Wood: Tour Burner TS 13° Stock Stiff
Hybrid: Tour Burner T2 18° Stock Stiff
Irons: Tour Preferred 3-PW Rifle Project X 6.0
Wedges: 54.10|58.08 Z TP Rifle Spinner 5.5 Putter: VP Mills VP2 Ball: TP/Red.LDP Bag: Warbird Hot Stand Bag 2.0Started playing...

I started off not knowing all the rules like everyone, just played for fun not caring much about my score, but as I improved I quickly became interested in the rules because I wanted an accurate score to beat. I realized that everyone playing by the same rules was what actually made the game great.

My stance on it is to do what makes you happy. Just don't be ignorant about it. I KNOW I'm not as good as my scores and that the sport is harder playing for real. My only issue is really people that think they're good because they seem ignorant to their cheating. That's definitely annoying.

You could take 50 mulligans a round for all I care, but just don't give your round a number at the end. You are hitting (or kicking) a golf ball around a golf course, but you aren't scoring.

A golf score is a specific number which is accounted for 100% by strokes and penalties. It is not a rubbery number. You are hardly going to say "I had 78 but I counted a 3 putt as a 2 putt." The score is a finite number. If it isn't it is a fiction. You may as well say it took you half an hour to drive to the course when it really took you an hour. You are lying to yourself and others and to what end? If you want to score, play by the rules. If you want to have a hit, great. Welcome to the game, but don't make up your own rules.

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

A golf score is a specific number which is accounted for 100% by strokes and penalties. It is not a rubbery number. You are hardly going to say "I had 78 but I counted a 3 putt as a 2 putt." The score is a finite number. If it isn't it is a fiction. You may as well say it took you half an hour to drive to the course when it really took you an hour. You are lying to yourself and others and to what end?

Thanks for the welcoming, but if I want to make up my own rule during a round I damn well will.

In my stand Bag:

R7 Superquad 10.5* Fujikura REAX 65-S
Hi-Bore XLS 19* Hybrid Dynamic Gold S300
MP-60 4 thru PW Dynamic Gold S300 .588 REG 54* SW Vokey 58* LWSTX Greeny IV putter

For me, the only time it bothers me is when someone breaks a bunch of rules and then goes on to show off about his "score". On second thought, even then it only bothers me if that "score" he shows off about is below about 85 or so. Anything above that number, I feel like there is no reason for us to worry about how other people play the game; just let them enjoy it however they want.

It is just really annoying when someone claims to shoot a decent score and proceeds to show off about it when they know they are full of sh*t.
Scott T

G5 9° V2 75 X / 909F2 15.5° V2 85 X / 909H 19° V2 100 X / MP-33 #3-PW X100 / X-Forged Chrome 54.15 60.10 X100 / FGP Black 34" / Penta TP

Handicap is a guess because I haven't established one yet.Best score so far is a 71 on a 6,509 yard 70.3/121 par 72 muni, during a glorious...

if I want to make up my own rule during a round I damn well will.

As long as you're not playing against me for money, or in a tournament with others.

Rob Tyska

Thanks for the welcoming, but if I want to make up my own rule during a round I damn well will.

That's kind of the point of my post. When was the last time you saw a bunch of guys get together for a little pickup game of basketball.....and one of them says to the others, "you know guys, that whole dribbling thing is just a pain in the butt, let's not do that today"......? Why is golf different?

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Golf should be fun and enjoyed. If you or your buddies or your 76 year old Dad's buddies play by a little different set of rules to make it fun for them, I have no issues, play, have fun.

My dad plays preferred lies all the time, fine by me, I'm not playing him or anyone else for big money, so I don't have to protect the field. My friends and I do make adjustments to the rules when we know they are wrong, but try losing a ball and then going back to the tee and telling the guys on the tee box their 5 hour round just became 5 1/2 because there can be no breaking of the rules.

I would say we play by all the rules, as we understand them, all the time, but the one that does get bend a lot, is a lost ball. Now off the tee, if we hit one in the woods, we hit a provisional, but if we hit one in the rough and can't find it for what ever reason, we will drop and play from were we thought it be and play on.

Craig 

Yeah, wanna make 14 dollars the hard way?

That's kind of the point of my post.

I can say i don't think i have ever seen that. However, i very often see them play 2-2 or 3-3, half court, winner gets ball, no free throws, one pass minimum before shooting. I'm pretty sure those are not in the rule book for basketball but nobody cares. Why? Because they aren't hurting anybody and they are just having fun.

EDIT: +1 to lumpuckeroo's post

Golf should be fun and enjoyed. If you or your buddies or your 76 year old Dad's buddies play by a little different set of rules to make it fun for them, I have no issues, play, have fun.

Couldn't agree more. So long as their play and/or scores aren't affecting anybody else, just have fun with it.

I play much more strictly to the rules now, but when I was younger and learning the game I certainly fudged the rules. When the main objective is to improve your game as a beginner and you don't care much about your score, it serves you no purpose to try and hit a ball buried in 3" rough, or completely submerged in a bunker. After a couple of tries out of the sand, I might toss my ball out of the bunker... what's the point of agrevating myself and making the group behind me wait as I keep swinging away? I don't think anyone would have a problem with that... Now that I play better (and know better) it's different. But so long as I'm not in a tourney and my buddies and I are all playing the same rules, I have no problem with doing your own thing. Ultimately, this game is you vs. yourself out on a golf course, so just have fun with it. If that means taking a mulligan a side, so be it.

Note: This thread is 5497 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!