IGNORED

My Swing (TN94z)

TN94z
Note: This thread is 1329 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Question...in getting my hands more forward my club face has gotten a bit more open. Is it better to add in a little motorcycle throttle or just preset the club a bit more closed? I was kind of afraid that motorcycle throttle might start adding timing into the equation making it less consistent. Is my thinking wrong?

Bryan A
"Your desire to change must be greater than your desire to stay the same"

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Administrator
2 hours ago, TN94z said:

Question...in getting my hands more forward my club face has gotten a bit more open. Is it better to add in a little motorcycle throttle or just preset the club a bit more closed? I was kind of afraid that motorcycle throttle might start adding timing into the equation making it less consistent. Is my thinking wrong?

You're probably cheating it a bit (you can push the hands way forward… if you open the clubface as you do it).

You have two decent options:

• Slightly stronger grip.
  • A little motorcycle feel.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

11 minutes ago, iacas said:

You're probably cheating it a bit (you can push the hands way forward… if you open the clubface as you do it).

That may be what's happening. This was only some shorter than half swing, punch shots, so it may have made it easier to cheat. I'll keep that in mind and try out the other two options as well. 

Bryan A

15 hours ago, iacas said:

Are these something that every swing must use? Or will fixing the cheat correct the issue? 

Bryan A

• Administrator
6 hours ago, TN94z said:

Are these something that every swing must use? Or will fixing the cheat correct the issue? 

I don't know. You'll have to play around a bit.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

• 2 weeks later...

I finally got us a practice area setup at home. I bought a net and a good mat, so maybe I can start hitting these drills harder. I stopped and played 9 yesterday (it was HOT!!!) and played okay. I played a couple of balls as I was mainly just practicing since I was alone. I did not even write my score down or anything, but I shot probably 38-40. My swing is just not feeling "free." Since I have started doing the drills to correct the hip turn and hand position, I really feel like my swing is forced and it almost feels like I'm trying to steer the ball all of the sudden. I never really did this in the past, or maybe I am just now realizing it. I guess the good news is now I can REALLY see the difference between a shot where I had good hip turn and a shot where I did not. I can really feel my arms and hands takeover when my hips stop turning.

With that being said, it is MUCH, MUCH more difficult to make my body get that full hip turn than I thought it was going to be. I guess I have been early extending so long, that it is just my body's go to move. I do not believe it is a physical limitation as much as a mental limitation. I kind of get the "feeling" that when I let my hips turn full, there is no way my arms will catch up to make solid contact, even though I do it many times now and the shots are normally better. It is just a mental plateau that I am going to have to break through...

Bryan A

(edited)

I played 18 over the weekend and it was another bad contact round. My tee game is really down right now. I have no clue where I am going when I tee it up. I hit push fades, straight pulls, pull hooks, dead straight. It's very frustrating. When I get off the tee well, I score very well as my iron misses aren't that terrible. I really believe my biggest issue is what @iacas stated above. I believe there is some cheating going on with me trying to get my hip turn and arms in the correct impact position. I think I am opening the club face when i try to get my positions correct. The reason I say this is, for example, on one hole I hit a push fade, so I get another ball out and close my club face more than usual at address and hit a slight draw. If I am thinking correctly, this proves to me that I am opening the club face.  So I think I am going to experiment with a slightly stronger grip. I would rather change something that's more constant like the grip, than try to get into a move like the motorcycle throttle which could vary swing to swing.

Edited by TN94z

Bryan A

• 2 weeks later...

I started out great with Evolvr. I was doing my drills and changing the picture. For the past few weeks, though, my game has really gone down the crapper. Even though I am scoring descent (sometimes), it just feels very bad, very forced....like I have no clue what I am doing. I can't hit my driver at all, so I have been playing with my 3w which has a very high fairway percentage rate and this allows me to score. Even my short irons are inconsistent....fat, thin, etc....and I have always hit them ok. I plan on making a trip to see a teacher with Jacob and I am going to have him watch me do the drills. I have a feeling I have been drilling incorrectly. It may be that I need some in person sessions rather than online. I'm not sure. I just know that I don't like where my game is at the moment. Now that we have gotten out of this south eastern humidity for a bit (109* heat with this high humidity is a killer for drills), I plan on getting in as much practice as I can. Putting saves me as usual and around the green game is ok. I shot a 78 yesterday but the contact was terrible, honestly...

Bryan A

Post a video of the most recent work you've been doing. If the motorcycle concept isn't a comfortable change for you, then maybe we can look at adjusting the grip to help the club face and contact issues. 

9 minutes ago, pcombs21 said:

Post a video of the most recent work you've been doing. If the motorcycle concept isn't a comfortable change for you, then maybe we can look at adjusting the grip to help the club face and contact issues. 

I'll post one up when I get another recent one. I have been working with evolvr, which I really like, but I think I'm going to see an in person instructor with Jacob. It is a 5sk instructor. I have talked with him a few times the last 2 weeks. 

Bryan A

• Administrator
16 minutes ago, TN94z said:

I'll post one up when I get another recent one. I have been working with evolvr, which I really like, but I think I'm going to see an in person instructor with Jacob. It is a 5sk instructor. I have talked with him a few times the last 2 weeks. 

Bryan, that was your evolvr instructor right there…? :-) He's curious to see for himself if you're doing the drill. You haven't posted to evolvr in > 1 month.

11 hours ago, iacas said:

Bryan, that was your evolvr instructor right there…? :-) He's curious to see for himself if you're doing the drill. You haven't posted to evolvr in > 1 month.

I didn't realize that. I honestly didn't pay attention to the screen name. Sorry about that. As far as the videos go, I just haven't been able to get one. It has been too hot for drills man. When it's 109* outside, it makes it hard to get out and drill. It has either been that or rain. I have done mirror drills in the house. I have barely been able to get some rounds in. I don't have ANYTHING against evolvr at all!!  It's a great tool. I think the timing of the weather just killed me. I bought the net and mat but it has even been too hot to get out and drill at the house. My teacher on evolvr was GREAT as well. The problem is on my end, 100%. If I cannot get time to do the drills, then I'm wasting the evolvr subscription. After talking with Rob in Murfreesboro about getting Jacob in, I decided to just get with him on my swing as well while I'm there.

@pcombs21 I really appreciate your help!! I'll obviously keep updating the thread.

Bryan A

• 6 months later...

So I ended up not having nearly as much time to work on my swing last year as I had hoped. Too many things came up and my wife's school really took up a lot of time that I was counting on for my swing. My goal this year is to get my swing to a more consistent level. It has really fallen apart the last couple of years from a lack of play and lack of practice. In doing so, I plan on firing this thread back up and staying accountable. Once the weather breaks here and it's comfortable to get out, I'll get some video of what I'm starting with and start working on my issues. Having worked a little with evolvr and worked with a local 5sk teacher here, I already know where I need to start.

Bryan A

• 7 months later...

Let’s try this again. I went to a fitter yesterday that is pretty local but one of the top club fitters in the US. It was an eye opener. My main focus was to get new wedges with proper gaps for my Callaway rogue pro irons. What I found was my swing speed was much faster than I thought with my stock swing( 7i was 91-92 and driver was around 107-108). It was determined that all my shafts need to be changed for stiff. He is going to adjust the irons to 2* flat and build up my grips just a little. I am also going to go with a new driver. I am hitting all of my clubs really high (so high the trackman didn’t read my 56* without me hitting a knockdown shot...we were hitting out of a building into the range). I went with Titleist sm7 54* and 58* wedges. It was a great experience and has me pumped to get back to work on my swing. Now that the temps are cooling off, I’m going to start working hard on it. The plan is to go with evolvr again and straighten these issues out. I have to keep Jacob from beating me too bad...haha. We talked about ALOT so I’ll have more detail once he sends me the specs. 

I hit everything pretty good except my driver. For comparison, I hit a mizuno 3h with 233 yards carry and total was like 257. My driver was going like 245 total. I’ve got to fix that. The optimal for the driver swing was 304. So that’s pretty exciting and really has me focused on resolving my swing issues!

Edited by TN94z

Bryan A

• 4 weeks later...

Just got all of my clubs back, so the practicing will start in the next couple of days.The Titleist wedges look so good that I hate to even hit them..haha. I got the brushed finish and man they look so good! I also got him to order me the Rogue Sub zero. He opted for the 8* (it's adjustable though) since I hit them so high. And i just got my irons back with the new shafts and grips. I also ordered the Snell Red 6 dozen pack since they are on sale this week. So we should be setup for a while. My next purchase will be some new hybrids and maybe a fairway wood. I have an old Nike ignite 3w that I seem to do no wrong with so I hate to stop gaming it unless I hit something better. But those will be some time next year.

Bryan A

• 2 months later...

The weather has really hurt the practice...and the time change. I have had so many things come up this year that have prevented me from working on my game much at all. But in 2019, I am making golf a priority again. I have my bag lined out with correctly fitted equipment, I have a little girl that can go with me to the course now (and even asks me to go quite often on her own), and I have a 17 year old that is starting to beat me on the course...haha. Not to mention the wife is on board with me doing whatever it takes to get my game to the level I want it to be.  I plan on getting back to my goals of a low single digit again. I am going to get this swing thread consistently updated with videos of progress. I am going to start working with evolvr AGAIN to fix my flaws. I am going to become the active member on here that I was in years past. It's going to be a total golf makeover for me. I have really gotten lazy with practice over the past few years and I regret it every time I get out and play now. 2019 will be my year!

• Like 1

Bryan A

I finally got to play a short round yesterday. It got colder than expected and I had the wife and little girl so I only played 7 holes. It was about like I expected as far as contact and direction considering I haven't played or practiced. I was 2 over thru 5, skipped 6 and 7 (slow guy in front of us and it was getting cold), had a par on 8 and birdie on 9.  Tee shots were left, irons were push fades that missed right, wedges were actually pretty descent, and putting was good as usual. I need to fix this inconsistent flip and then I can get some better work on dispersion. Too many inconsistencies at the moment.

Bryan A

• 2 weeks later...

Added the Superspeed package that arrived yesterday. I got the radar with it. I am excited to get to work with these and see the progress. I mean, it takes less than 15 minutes to do it 3x a week. That should be a breeze. I played with it a little last night after supper. Still had my work clothes on and some loafers on my slick garage floor. I'll get another baseline before starting the program. But last night the best I got was 105.

I'm still waiting for the weather to break so I can go to the range and get some videos to sign back up with evolvr. It has rained so much lately and kept everything so wet, the range stays closed most of the time.

Bryan A

Note: This thread is 1329 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!