IGNORED

Etiquette: Eating/Break at the Turn

Tienshiao
Note: This thread is 1043 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

When I go with friends to play it is for a relaxing day of friendship. No big hurry. We normally grab-n-go and have a nice lunch when we finish. When at each hole is there is one or two groups ahead of us waiting. All we are doing is spending more time waiting then playing, then a lunch break is in order. It will help the groups behind you. Most courses are afraid to tell slow group to move faster. They might lose a customer in the future. My answer is they lose the groups behind. The course get a reputation of being slow.

In America it is grab and go.

In some Asian countries (from my experience), it may be customary to eat a sit-down lunch at the turn.

HiBore XLS Tour 9.5*
Adams Fast10 15* 3W
A2OS 3H-7iron 60* LW
8iron Precept Tour Premium cb
9iron and 45* PW 50* GW 56* SW m565 and 455 VfoilPutter Anser Belly Putter Ball in order of preference TPblack e5 V2  AD333

Yeah, the letting people through part is fine, but after that, when you decide to re-start onn the back 9, you have to cut another group off, which having been that group many times, pisses me off big time. Why don't we all just grab-n-go?

This is the issue. When you lose your place on the course, you might never get it back. That is the warning that I've seen posted several times at snack bars located at the turn. Some players don't seem to understand that they really don't have the right to stop and start again at their leisure. They have an obligation to maintain their place on the course and to maintain pace of play with the group in front of them, including any pit stops along the way.

This used to be more common back in the day when courses weren't so crowded, or at private clubs where it was often an accepted practice to stop and have lunch in the restaurant between nines. These days most public courses (and a good many private ones) are simply too busy to allow that sort of policy. A group that stops for more than a couple of minutes at the turn may have to wait a long time for a break in the action to allow them to return to the game.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

If you've got time and know there are no groups immediately behind you it's OK, but if this is not the option then I very much agree that grab-and-go is the way to go. It's annoying as frick with flights that takes a break and cut inbetween other flights. As it has been pointed out by others, it can affect many flights coming behind.

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

For most courses, due to relatively long round times, one is more or less relegated to just a few minutes break between front and back nine.

If the course is backed up, obviously your break can be longer. Generally, any group taking a long break is immediately passed. And generally are allowed back in when they are done. Of course a long break is pretty short -- maybe one or two groups will get by. I have never seen anyone go into the club house/bar and sit down to order between nines.

I think the issue will allowing groups back in to the sequence is the inevitable scattered group who is coming back, one at a time, trying to finish their food, etc, taking what seems like days to tee off rather then they allowing another group by them while they get organized. I wish there was a rule like until all your foursome is present and ready, you cannot start the next tee.

The compliment to all this grab-n-go is really making the break almost useless. How fast can you eat even a hot dog? Is wolfing down a sandwich really a break? I feel a bit bloated from gulping down food. I feel like I do not even have time for a bathroom break. It would be nice if the round timing had a real break - 10 -15 - 20 minutes or so and a marshal to monitor it to (1) get lunch (2) change shoes, shirts, whatever (3) answer those annoying messages (4) reset your equipment (5) take front nine stats or whatever else needs doing. Or just play through. Then the marshal would have some working room/time to restart groups when the entire group is back and ready.
Michael Krolewski

In the Bag Boy Revolver Pro on a Clicgear 2.0 cart:
Acer Mantara XL Driver 10.5
Acer Mantara S.S 3 Wood; 3DX DC 15* Hybrid (3w/1h); 3DX DC 17* Hybrid (4w/2h); Acer XP905 Ti Hollow Core WS 4-9i; cg14 48* 2dot; cg14 54* 1dot; cg14 60* 1dot

And now you have just cut 2 or 3 foursomes from the course's income each day. That money will be made up by charging the rest of you more for your rounds. Don't see this happening anyplace I play.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

NEWSFLASH!

Leading scientists from around the world met in London yesterday after the announcement from professor Fatbarsteward that the human body can survive for over 4 hours without having to take in sustinance.
The scientist have been told that trials have initially shown that it is possible to walk and swing your arms occasionally for up to 6 hours (Yes Thats 6 hours! )without having to eat.Although recomending water and a piece of fruit every two hours it is now known that Hot dogs,Burgers,Three course brunches and the like should in future be reserved exclusivley for Fat Bloke ,Trainee Fat Bloke and Mr & Mrs Large.

Golf is a game of 18 holes,there is no half time

In The Bag
Mizuno MX 560 Driver
Taylor made 3 wood
Mizuno HIFLI 21*
Mizuno MX 25's 4-pwMizuno MX series wedges 50, 56*/11 & 60*Bettinardi C02 putter4 bottles of pilsner,2 packs cigars

I played today and at the turn I grabbed a gatorade and a snickers (frozen, of course). the course wasn't even crowded, but I guess it's just habit to grab-n-go.

Driver: Tour Burner TP 9.5* Whiteboard Stiff
Hybrid: Rescue Dual 19*
Irons: 4-pw Mp-32 S300
Wedges: Vokey Spin Milled 56* and 60*
Putter: Newport 2 34" 340gBall: Pro-V1 or NXT-tourShoes: Adidas Tour 360 LTD

We don't have a shop on the turn here, so that option is not present. I always carry one or two sandwiches and some fruit, apple, banana, pear on the course. If noone is trailing us we might take a 5 minute break at the turn to eat a sandwich, but I don't have a problem with eating while I walk.

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

I like to grab n go. I like to maintain my pace of play. Everytime I stop and eat I will lose focus and play worse on the back 9.

In my Xtreme Sport bag
'09 Burner 9.5*
F50 15* 3 Wood
Burner 18* 5 Wood
MX-19 4-GW SV Tour 54.12 & 58.08 White Hot 2-Ball SRT

• 12 years later...
On 3/13/2009 at 8:48 AM, Bump-n-MI said:

Imagine if 1 of every 4 groups decided to "sit" at the turn…it could get real ugly and potentially lead to 5 1/2 + hour rounds later in the day.

I don't think that's exactly how it would work. When the second+ group stops for their place it opens a gap that would be absorbed by the waiting party caused by the first group to stop. A delay likely isn't additive after the first (maybe second) group decides to break.

I was a stop and break guy, but seems like common practice is grab and go. I'll keep it moving!!

Wow this one took a nap for awhile. With each game it’s great to get out, at Gleneagles you may call in an order but either way, you sit out for 10 minutes after the 10th hole. I found that pretty cool on a chilly Scottish morning to have a tomato bisque warm you for 10 knowing everyone sits out 10. Then in Melbourne it was great having an ice cold beverage before heading back out for 10. Would it work here in the US, maybe here on Lana’i but not on Oahu or other courses. 

Hi, I live on a small island in the Pacific Ocean.

I've never really been a stop at the turn kind of guy. A couple of times I've been invited out to private courses in which that was the custom, and it was fine. But for me, I prefer to do all of my actual meal eating and stuff after the round. If for no other reason than as I get older it takes me longer and longer to warm up. If I take a long break at the turn I might be on hole 15 before I'm all loosened up again. 

I will say, the course I currently do most of my playing on has a lot of folks who stop at the turn for a bite. I've never noticed it clogging up the 10th tee. I have passed a lot of folks at the turn and that can work out great. ... for me anyway. 

My bag is an ever-changing combination of clubs. 

A mix I am forever tinkering with. 

• iacas changed the title to Etiquette: Eating/Break at the Turn
7 hours ago, Slice and dice said:

I don't think that's exactly how it would work. When the second+ group stops for their place it opens a gap that would be absorbed by the waiting party caused by the first group to stop. A delay likely isn't additive after the first (maybe second) group decides to break.

I was a stop and break guy, but seems like common practice is grab and go. I'll keep it moving!!

You quoted someone from 12 years ago BTW. I was my birthday though!😀

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

2 hours ago, ChetlovesMer said:

I've never really been a stop at the turn kind of guy. A couple of times I've been invited out to private courses in which that was the custom, and it was fine. But for me, I prefer to do all of my actual meal eating and stuff after the round. If for no other reason than as I get older it takes me longer and longer to warm up. If I take a long break at the turn I might be on hole 15 before I'm all loosened up again. 

I will say, the course I currently do most of my playing on has a lot of folks who stop at the turn for a bite. I've never noticed it clogging up the 10th tee. I have passed a lot of folks at the turn and that can work out great. ... for me anyway. 

I agree. It depends on who I’m playing with. Some buddies in one group like to go right to the 10th tee. Some buddies in another group of mine always stop to grab a snack and some drinks.

I don’t mind either one. When I play with the first group, we’re usually playing local and quickly. The second group is my “let’s hang out, catch up, and go to a course we’ve never been” group so we enjoy taking more time. 

At my home club, the snack bar/grill is basically on the way from 9 green to 10 tee, so a lot of people stop for food and drinks at the turn before heading on to the back nine. 

I will usually stop at the turn, mainly to get something to drink and maybe a quick snack, but on the few occasions I’ve ordered a meal, I ordered on the ninth tee, picked it up at the turn and continued on to the back, eating as I play. 

I think it’s also worth noting that this also tends to create a backup on 10 tee. When I make the turn, it’s not unusual to see a group already teeing off and then occasionally a group or two waiting, so I’ve had waits of close to half an hour before.

Edited by dagolfer18

WITB:
Woods: Cleveland Launcher (Driver, 17 degree, 22 degree)
Irons: Titleist T200 (4-PW)
Wedges: Callaway Jaws (50/54/60)
Putter: Odyssey White Hot

I look at the turn as a Pit Stop in racing, Get In and Get Out quickly.  I also suggest one person get the orders while the others hit the loo.  I do not mind paying for my playing partner's bottle of water/beer or hot dog now and then.  They can buy me a drink after the round and call it even.

Stuart M.

I am a "SCRATCH GOLFER".  I hit ball, Ball hits Tree, I scratch my head. 😜

Driver: Ping G410 Plus 10.5* +1* / 3 Hybrid: Cleveland HIBORE XLS / 4,5 & 6 Hybrids: Mizuno JP FLI-HI / Irons/Wedges 7-8-9-P-G: Mizuno JPX800 HD / Sand Wedge: Mizuno JPX 800 / Lob Wedge: Cleveland CBX 60* / Putter: Odyssey White Hot OG 7S / Balls: Srixon Soft / Beer: Labatt Blue (or anything nice & cold) 

Note: This thread is 1043 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!