IGNORED

Etiquette: Eating/Break at the Turn

Tienshiao
Note: This thread is 1044 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

8 minutes ago, Double Mocha Man said:

Well, that mental image just ruined my Sunday morning, and my cup of coffee.

You laughed. Admit it. 

• Funny 1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

On 5/21/2021 at 3:44 PM, Darkfrog said:

I have read that in some places, it is customary to stop at the turn for a meal. I think it might have been was Japan.

I've played golf in Japan and it is customary to stop at the turn to eat. In my case we had a sit down lunch that lasted 45 minutes. They told me 1.5 hours would not be unusual.

One of several things that I found different about golf in Japan Vs. golf in the US. 

Jeff

In the bag:
:callaway: Epic Max 9.0 Project X Cypher 40 R 5.5
:tmade: R11S 3 Fairway
:ping: G425 4 & 5 hybrid 6-PW :cleveland: RTX 56 degree
:titleist: - Scotty Cameron Newport Select 2

8 minutes ago, ssbn611 said:

I've played golf in Japan and it is customary to stop at the turn to eat. In my case we had a sit down lunch that lasted 45 minutes. They told me 1.5 hours would not be unusual.

One of several things that I found different about golf in Japan Vs. golf in the US. 

Yes - they'll do anything possible to spend as much time away from their families as possible. Imagine adding an hour and a half to your round of golf when you don't need to eat.

The idea of stopping for a meal after 9 holes is absurd. But I'm sure they think it's highly civilized. It's a "custom" that needs to disappear.

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

17 minutes ago, ssbn611 said:

That is a bit absurd, though on the golf course your turn on the tee is not guaranteed. 

For the most part, people stop in for something to get on the go, or something really quick. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

I refill my water bottles, take a leak, and potentially grab a hot dog/burger/crackers that are ready to go at the turn to take with me.

Waiting and allowing groups behind you to play through while you eat only slows down the course for everybody. You are leaving the tee box open, but the group behind you cannot actually use that until they get there. There is no gap between the group behind you and the group 2 spots behind you. If you try to fit in between those two groups, there is no gap for you to fit into and you will slow down the entire course.

If you specifically have separate front and back nine tee times, with time allotted for a break between nines, then it is acceptable. Outside of that, food or other items at the turn are grab and go only.

• Like 1

lot of courses in Oregon and Washington have the number for the restaurant on the 8th hole, you call ahead and order, pick it up between 9th and 10th. Not sure I have ever availed myself of the option but a few people IO have been matched up with have done so through the years

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Some people treat a round of golf like a trip to the dentist, others like a mini vacation. 

I’ve never understood the hurry-up-and-get-it-over-with mentality for a round of golf. If life is that busy, maybe a fella needs to look at his priorities. If your wife is chewing your  ass because you were “gone too long, again”, then maybe golf needs to go on the second shelf. 

Anywhoo........

As to the turn, grab a dog and a Coke. Eat it in the cart, picnic table, whatever. 

First world problems....

On 5/24/2021 at 1:55 PM, ssbn611 said:

I think that is typical in Asian countries.

I travel for business to Korea and Japan (not lately, of course), and entertain clients by treating them to a round of golf ($$$$).  They always stop at the nine to eat a full meal.

Here in the U.S., if you stop, you lose your place in line unless there is a backup.

Personally, I don't like to rest after nine.  Takes me out of my rhythm.  

Don

:titleist: 910 D2, 8.5˚, Adila RIP 60 S-Flex
:titleist: 980F 15˚
:yonex: EZone Blades (3-PW) Dynamic Gold S-200
:vokey:   Vokey wedges, 52˚; 56˚; and 60˚
:scotty_cameron:  2014 Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2

I have heard of the "stop for long lunch" tradition in Japan. 

I don't think in 31 years of playing golf that I have ever actually stopped to eat lunch at the turn. 

I've bought lunch-ish food, like hot dogs and sandwiches, which I eat in between shots. 

I've ordered drinks at various points in rounds 😉

You asked what's normal. If my experience is representative, most people would not like it, nor find it normal, to propose stopping in the middle of a round for lunch. I'm sure it happens some, but I'd be surprised if this was considered normal or routine anywhere in the USA. 

JP Bouffard

"I cut a little driver in there." -- Jim Murray

Driver: Titleist 915 D3, ACCRA Shaft 9.5*.
3W: Callaway XR,
3,4 Hybrid: Taylor Made RBZ Rescue Tour, Oban shaft.
Irons: 5-GW: Mizuno JPX800, Aerotech Steelfiber 95 shafts, S flex.
Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM5 56 degree, M grind
Putter: Edel Custom Pixel Insert 

Note: This thread is 1044 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!