IGNORED

The Worst habit one of your regular golf buddies has

chriskzoo
Note: This thread is 5176 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One of my friend's takes forever to hit the ball. He'll stand behind and take 3 or 4 practice swings, and then finally address the ball and take another 15-20 seconds just to waggle around. It takes me 10 seconds tops to hit the ball. 1 or 2 practice swings, and all systems go.

• 1 month later...
My best friend in college claims he loves to play golf, however, whenever I try and get him to come out and practice with me or play on an "unscheduled" day he declines. He also claims he wants to get better but with that amount of initiative it won't happen. We have the greatest of times when doing any activities together (golf the most), but it just pisses me off that when he has NOTHING to do (I know his schedule inside and out) he doesn't want to go and play golf. Instead he'll go home and watch a movie that he has seen a million times.

I am guilty of taking 2-3 practice swings and the occasional "hit another", but not when there is a group breathing down our necks (lately the course(doesn't matter what rotation) has been backed up so we all do). One other thing, we're all ~22 but don't drink on the course 'cause I for one don't need the help of sucking.

One of my golfing friends has a habit of getting on the tee and then starts telling a 3 to 5 minute story. I want to play golf, not stand listening to him on each hole. It seems each year we play less rounds then the year before.

• 2 weeks later...
half the courses i play in ohio refuse to pay a cart girl to drive around....by the time i get to a course that has one they all start looking pretty good

If there is one thing my course has is nice looking cart girls.

- Shane

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

My brother has a 'waggle' that takes forever for him to complete before he can actually make his swing.

Craig 

Yeah, wanna make 14 dollars the hard way?

my playing partner gabe is a puerto rican. LOUD LOUD LOUD. we'll be playing and we'll catch up to a group in front of us on the next hole and they will still be on the tee box, and he'll say exactly this "what the hell. these slow ass people are f***ing pissing me off. I'm gonna kick their mother f***ing asses." and loud enough so that they can hear him.

He also talks a lot about his game like "I need some birdies." or "I'm on a roll."
and by saying that he gets me out of my frame of mind where I'm trying to concentrate on my game.

He also has the wierd ability to be quiet, and then somehow, by some 6th sense, he has the ability to talk or make loud noises as soon as someone is hitting.

But, I play with him because he's good, he's pretty cool, and if I can get used to him, I can get used to anything.

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha Diablo 9º
2 Hybrid: Callaway Big Bertha Heavenwood
Irons: Nike Slingshot OSS 6-3 iron
          Taylormade Tour Preferred PW-7 iron
Wedges: Cleveland CG14 50º, 54º
              Taylormade RAC 58º
Putter: Ping Darby 32" shaft

We have a guy who trivialises putting. He can't putt, so he makes light of it, putting with one hand, between his legs, etc... It's really annoying when you're waiting for him to finish and you have a testy 3 footer for par.

My Tools of Ignorance:

Driver: Ping I20 9.5*
Woods/Hybrids: Cobra AMP 3W and 3 HY

Irons: Cobra AMP 4-GW

Wedges: Callaway Forged Copper 56* and 60*

Putters: Scotty Cameron  35" (Several of the flow neck blade variety)

Ball: Bridgestone B330-RX and Srixon Z-Star

Bag: Nike Performance Carry

I only have two regular playing partners and they're both perfect as far as golf ettiquitte. I am teaching my fiancee to golf and she has a few issues (walking on lines, too many practice swings) but I don't want to discourage her at this point of her development. So, nah, no real problems.

Driver: Nike Ignite 10.5 w/ Fujikura Motore F1
2H: King Cobra
4H: Nickent 4DX
5H: Adams A3
6I 7I 8I 9I PW: Mizuno mp-57Wedges: Mizuno MP T-10 50, 54, 58 Ball: random

This is more of a swing flaw, but my friend lifts his left ankle in his backswing and drops it back to the inside so that his toes almost point to his target.

- Shane

• Administrator

Worst habit of one of my regular golf buddies?

Well, I have this one guy I play with, and.... get this... he plays left-handed!

J/K.

Probably the most annoying habit of one of my regular golf buddies is a guy who can't see very well. You'll hit a ball that you know is going to cut into the fairway bunker or whatever, but the ball's 50 yards off the club and he's saying "great shot." Then the ball starts turning... Then he's surprised when you walk up and your ball's buried under the lip of the fairway bunker or behind a tree.

It's gotten to the point where it's funny annoying and not angry annoying, but still.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

My golf "buddy", or I should say the only person I know who likes to golf, drives me insane most of the time.

He likes to stand behind me on every shot, literally. The worst is off the tee box. Now if I was teeing off on national television, I'd be okay with someone behind me, but not him during our casual golf rounds.

It's so bad that if we hit vastly different tee shots, he'll hit his 2nd shot then rush over in the cart and park right behind me as I'm about to hit my 2nd. I've called him out on this multiple times but he just doesn't listen.

To add insult to injury, he tries to give me swing tips after he's hit a few decent shots, never minding the 4 balls he just hit off the tee just to get one decent drive. It's especially frustrating after having a poor tee shot he'll say stuff like "Are you getting mad or something?".

I attribute my handicap index vastly to him. I've noticed whenever I go without him, I tend to play better.

Too tell you the truth I guess I am a lucky golfer cause I can't really say I have anyone I play with that has any habits that are anoying to me. I have one I used to play with that does a little dance while addressing the ball and then stands there ready to hit his shot for about 15 seconds before swinging. Really can't see how he does that without loosing his concentration, but it is funny. Other than that anyone else can cheat on their score or whatever it doesn't effect my game at all. Guess Im lucky....but if I can't complain about anyone, does that mean Im the guy that is bugging my friends somehow?

Driver - SQ SUMO2 9.5 stiff
3 Wood - SQ SUMO2 15* stiff
Hybrid SQ SUMO2 20* stiff
Irons - CCi steel stiff
Wedge - 56*Wedge - Knight 60*Putter - ITraxBall - platinum+Black but soon to be switching to pr0v1 SG 2.5

I have a buddie who thinks anything inside of 7 feet is a gimmee so needless to say we play for shits and giggles.

In my new FT carry bag
FT-9 Tour nuetral 9.5
FT-15 degree 3 wood
Fussion Hybrids #2&4
Fussion irons with Grapholoy Pro launch Red shafts56&60 Cally X forged wedges with Red shaftsSG9 putterCally I ballBushnell Meadealist range finder

I`ve read thru some of the posts,and many come from fairly high handicapers.Concentrate on your game,play quick,and don`t let little things bother you.Pissing in the fairway,while embarrassing to be associated with that person,doesn`t make any noise.I don`t care what people do while I hit,I`m into the shot. I`ve realized long ago I`m not Tiger,and I have other things to do. Tee it high,let it fly,and play golf.You`ll enjoy it more!If your "buddy" upsets you enough to post,change"buddies/partners"

I have a friend who tries to always drive the cart to within inches of his ball. Course rules don't matter to him because he thinks his chronic pulmonary disorder gives him a free pass. He insists on driving, as well. It is just not fun for me anymore.

I have a friend who is oblivious to driving near greens and tee boxes. He's been yelled at countless times by marshals but somehow doesn't learn.

Another guy I play with is fine until he starts shooting poorly, then all of a sudden everyone's round is worthless: He'll just drive on ahead, finish out his hole before the rest of us have gotten to the green, and hit two or three balls a hole. I swear I'll stop playing with him but never do. Finally, another friend is a good golfer but when he golfs with us mere mortals he treats the round like it's a joke and will mess around with us, give unwanted advice, and seriously mock our games. Not sure why I golf with that guy, either.

I'm a father of three boys, the youngest being 2 year old. My wife has been studying in the University for almost 3 years and is working while at it. My work is kinda unscheduled so with all these fine parameters needless to say I do not have any fixed golf buddies.

I play with alot of different type of golfers, most of the single digit handicappers I play with don't mind me and speak little, usually play fast and are easy to play with. Many higher handicappers are talk more which is sometimes more fun and are not as much "into their game" as lower handicappers. One guy I played with last summer (I try to avoid him afterwards as do a lot of golfers at my club I've heard) had like 25 hcp and if he didn't get par, he started shouting and throwin clubs, almost frothing beserklike. These are bad habits at the golf course, can't imagine what he is like in other situations.

Another guy I played with a couple of years ago we had similar hcps decided to compete with me and continuously asked what my score was, even in the middle of the fairway he would walk up to me and ask. I didn't remember us ever decide to have a go at it so this was pretty annoyin, esp as the guy was clearly not stable in game nor his mind. Needless to say I try to stay away from him also.

My oldest boy is starting to play in tournaments and last summer one of the parents of the competing boys "tried" to shout in the middle of my boys swings. This was pretty annoying and I had to use many methods to easy my mind there not to walk upto that parent and give him a wedgie. Seriously these are the toughtes situations in my mind. Its no problem when its your game, but when your rooting for your kids and someone else is trying to ruin it it really gets under your skin.

In my bag:Driver: 910D2, 10.25˚, Aldila RIP, Fairway: 904F, 15˚, YS-6FW+ Stiff, Hybrid: Titleist 910H, Irons: S-58, 4-PW, DG S300, Wedges: Wishon 52˚, 56˚, Putter: Odyssey Black series i 1

Note: This thread is 5176 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!