IGNORED

FoxBat Irons, ever heard about them???

My very first set of irons were a brand called FoxBat. I was still new to golf back then (a year ago) and I had no idea about the different brands of clubs and club makers. I needed an a complete golf set so the pro with which I used to play sold me a full bag that had these irons (3-PW, SW), two old Wilson Ultra 3 and 5 woods, a VERY crappy Lynx Parallax Boom Boom driver and two crappy putters. Needless to say, I was ripped, I payed around $180 for this junk.

Anyway, these FoxBat irons are pretty interesting in the sense that however I search for them on the internet I can never find any similar set of irons on sale anywhere, I can't even find any pictures for them or any reference for them anywhere on the internet. I was wondering if anyone here knows about this brand or heard about it.

I have included some pics too.

Needless to say, these clubs are crap. They are very unforgiving and the round club head shape is very annoying at address. Very heavy as well.

It's worth saying though that I love the 56* sand wedge that was part of this set. When I made the change to my current Callaway X-14s I kept it and I intend to keep using it for a long time to come, I just love it's feel.

My achievements:
Eagles: 0
Birdies: 18
Best Round: 89

• 1 year later...
  • 3 years later...
  • 1 year later...

Ah...the Ring of Fire!

I grew up playing Foxbat. I played a set of the Foxbat blades from 1978  (I remember, it was my 14th birthday present, and my first new set) until about 1986. If memory serves, Foxbat was off of Harry Hines Blvd near where my dad worked in the warehouse district. My Dad had a set of the Foxbat reflex type irons. They did have some nice persimmon woods I recall.

1992 or 93, I was working then, and I decided to treat myself to a new set of the Ring of Fire irons! By then, Foxbat had relocated further north, Addison maybe? I played those for a good 6-7 years. I did make it to a "+" handicap with my ROF irons. I even played in one Hogan Tour event in Wichita with them! Somewhere in the early 90's, a set of Foxbat clubs would turn up once in a while as a prize on The Price Is Right!  'This is Bob Barker reminding you to have your Foxbat spade or neutered". I'm pretty sure those were ROF as well, and I think their first and only metal woods.

Then in the mid 90s, I went back to Dallas and was going to hunt down Foxbat again.....but they were done and gone.  :(

• 2 months later...

Yes I have heard of them and I still have a set myself. I live in Arizona now but did live in Dallas through the late 80's.

I played golf many times with the man that started the Fox Bat company in Dallas. His name is Lin Fisher and he was a green beret in Vietnam. We were members at Brookhaven Country Club in Farmers Branch, in fact we played golf there many times with another member named Charlie Pride. This was back in the late 80's, not sure if Lin is still alive or not, he was mid to late 50's age back then. He bought a mail order bride from the Philippines for $5000 in the 80's and enjoyed life & golf. Lin was about a 8 handi or so.

Prior to Dallas Lin sold golf equipment all across the Midwest through the 70's. One of his best buddies was also selling golf equipment. One day in the late 70's his buddy said I'm going to start my own line of clubs want to be a 50/50 partner for $50K? Lin said no thanks and his pal went into business. His name was Eli Callaway, ring a bell?? And the rest is history.

Lin tried to do the Fox Bat thing in the mid 80's but it did not work out very well.

Hope you enjoyed some of the history behind the Fox Bat!!!

Wayne Dawson

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

I remember seeing FoxBat irons back when I played MacGregor MT blades (pre-1990).

That's all I remember.

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• 5 years later...

I picked up an old set of golf clubs a few months back to act as my starting set for $20 on facebook marketplace. The bag i got came with a set of Foxbat blades in pretty good condition 3 to 9 and a pitching wedge as well as a 3 and 4 wood that both unfortunately have some damage to them. The 3 wood I may be able to have repaired if i can get the broken screw out of it but the 4 has a massive crack through it and I'm sure it would break apart if its ever hit again... This thread is the only place online that mentions anything about Foxbat blades and I'd love to get some more info on them just for the sake of knowing the history. I'll snap some pictures of them soon and post them here. And in case anyone is wondering I am actively hitting with these blades and am getting better! 😄

8 hours ago, ThomasA said:

I picked up an old set of golf clubs a few months back to act as my starting set for $20 on facebook marketplace. The bag i got came with a set of Foxbat blades in pretty good condition 3 to 9 and a pitching wedge as well as a 3 and 4 wood that both unfortunately have some damage to them. The 3 wood I may be able to have repaired if i can get the broken screw out of it but the 4 has a massive crack through it and I'm sure it would break apart if its ever hit again... This thread is the only place online that mentions anything about Foxbat blades and I'd love to get some more info on them just for the sake of knowing the history. I'll snap some pictures of them soon and post them here. And in case anyone is wondering I am actively hitting with these blades and am getting better! 😄

I can’t offer any info on Foxbat.  Never heard of them until now but want to welcome you to TST.

Stuart M.

I am a "SCRATCH GOLFER".  I hit ball, Ball hits Tree, I scratch my head. 😜

Driver: Ping G410 Plus 10.5* +1* / 3 Hybrid: Cleveland HIBORE XLS / 4,5 & 6 Hybrids: Mizuno JP FLI-HI / Irons/Wedges 7-8-9-P-G: Mizuno JPX800 HD / Sand Wedge: Mizuno JPX 800 / Lob Wedge: Cleveland CBX 60* / Putter: Odyssey White Hot OG 7S / Balls: Srixon Soft / Beer: Labatt Blue (or anything nice & cold) 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades