IGNORED

Jack vs. Tiger: Who's the Greatest Golfer?

sungho_kr

Greatest Golfer (GOAT)  

218 members have voted

1. 1. Tiger or Jack: Who's the greatest golfer?

• Tiger Woods is the man
    • Jack Nicklaus is my favorite

Lee Trevino basically said....The players as a whole are better than they were back in Jack's era, but there were better top notch players in Jack's era than there is today.

I agree, with you and Lee...

Tiger...total freak...in more ways than one

What's in my TaylorMade stand bag:
taylormade.gifSuperfast TP 10.5° Matrix HD6 graphite stiff shaft
nike.gifSasQuatch 2 Steel #3 Wood: 15° Diamana SasQuatch Graphite
cobra.gifBaffler DWS Hybrid Utility Woods: 3/R 20°
cobra.gifS2 Forged irons 4-PW stiff flex steel shaftcleveland.gifCG15 satin chrome 48° gap wedge 8 bouncemizuno.gifMP T Series chrome 53° sand...cleveland.gifnike.gifbridgestone.giftaylormade.gif

I think tiger is better because

Tiger has a slight advantage in athletic ability,but Jack has made some of the most incredible shots in golf with equipment technology from the 1960's.We may never know who is the best unless they go head to head with hickory shafts and gum balls.

Tiger...total freak...in more ways than one

Tiger may be more athletic than Jack in his prime,but we must not forget that Jack made some of the most amazing golf shots history with club and ball technology from the 1960,s. We may never know this answer unless they go head to head with hickory shafts and gum balls.

Tiger may be more athletic than Jack in his prime,but we must not forget that Jack made some of the most amazing golf shots history with club and ball technology from the 1960,s. We may never know this answer unless they go head to head with hickory shafts and gum balls.

They can do that right after someone invents a time machine to send Tiger back to 1972. Jack is almost 70 years old.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

I figured out a way to shed light on this debate. Take Tiger and a few of his contemporaries out on a course that hasn't changed much since the late 60's, especially in distance. Find some clubs and balls from that era, and see what they do. I remember one time Jack hit a 600 yd par 5 with a driver, and then another driver off the fairway. Wonder if the "stars" of today could do the same with that old equipment.

PrairieParson
From Lubbock, Texas: the Heart of Flyover Country.
Ping G-15 Driver 12 deg.
Mizuno MP-33 Irons
Ball: White, mostly round and lots of dimplesScores this year: 78

I have seen both and in their prime(which Tiger is now) I voted for Jack because Tiger hasn't broken the record book YET
Tiger Woods is the perfect storm (if, and my guess is he will overcome his current problem) of African American athleticism, Discipline (from a military father), Buddhism (the ability to project an end result), Commitment to excellence (Golf I'm talking about), Work Ethic, and Ego.
No one in my mind will ever be better equipped to compete in this sport, his ability to see the shot, hit the shot is unparrelled.
I would think though that in a head to head, both players in their prime, there would not be a big gap. Also I beg to differ the oldtimer view, Jack's competition was mentally stronger than todays players, which made them harder to beat. Young men nowadays are better athletes but I question their heart across the board.

Alpha V5 9.0 XStiff
Cleveland Hi-Bore 13* Stiff
Cleveland Hi-Bore 19* Hybrid Stiff
Cleveland CG Red Irons 4-PW Stiff
Merit Golf 52* StiffCleveland 900 series 56* & 60* RegScotty Cameron Laguna Mid-Slant"I hit 2 good balls today, I stepped on a rake."

Jack had tougher compettion and won 18 majors but even more unbeliveable he finished second something like 15 times!!

That's exactly why I voted Jack.

Tiger's excellent but Jack (along with those he played with in his day) didn't have the technology advantages of today. Everyone had to be creative in shot making.

Jack has the record, and the record is the only thing that is measurable. Tiger has to beat it. Any other discussion about ability, equipment, strenghth of competition, isn't worth a hill of golf balls. But then again, if you throw medications/enhancements into the equation, where does that leave the records?

Shortgamewiz
c5_banana.gif

Jack is the greatest .....Period ......Case Closed.......and here is why...

Jack has 18 majors

Tiger has 14.....

here is the MAJOR difference !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jack has 19 runner up finishes in majors.... Tiger is not even in the same city as Jack on this one......

Tiger has 5 runner ups.........

That means Jack finished in the top two 37 times in majors almost double Tigers 19.

Case Closed..................

In my FT Performance bag

Driver: FT-9 I-mix 9.5 Fubuki 63s
3 Wood: X Hot Fubuki 73s
Hybrid: 3H Aldila VS Proto 80-SIrons: X-20 Tour 5-PW Project X 5.5 Wedges: X-Forged 50*, 54*, 58*, 62* Project X 6.0Putter: Japan IX #9Ball: HX Tour

You made one point. How does this close the case. Have a look at Tiger's overall winning percentage (including non-majors) and his margin of victory in majors. I preferred to watch Jack and Tom Watson's duels. Better doesn't mean more exciting.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.