IGNORED

Jack vs. Tiger: Who's the Greatest Golfer?

sungho_kr

Greatest Golfer (GOAT)  

217 members have voted

1. 1. Tiger or Jack: Who's the greatest golfer?

• Tiger Woods is the man
    • Jack Nicklaus is my favorite

Will do. Thanks.

Just being facetious. I actually voted for Tiger (I think I voted last year), because at the same point in their careers Tiger was ahead of Nicklaus in almost every way. I also grew up watching Tiger, just don't think he might be better

because I grew up watching him.

It gotta be Tiger. I'd pick Tiger over Jack in their primes. Of course, Tiger may have passed his prime after he ran into the fire hydrant.
In the Bag:
|Driver: TM Burner Plus 10.5*|Woods: TM Burner Plus 3 & 5|Hybrids: TM Burner Rescue 4 & 5|Irons: TM Burner Plus 6-AW|Wedge: Cleveland CG12 SW|Putter: PRGR Silver-Blade|Balls: Top-Flite D2

Just being facetious. I actually voted for Tiger (I think I voted last year), because at the same point in their careers Tiger was ahead of Nicklaus in almost every way.

That's just not true. After their first 14 full years on tour (Jack 1962-1975 and Tiger 1997-2010) they both won 14 majors.

My Tools of Ignorance:

Driver: Ping I20 9.5*
Woods/Hybrids: Cobra AMP 3W and 3 HY

Irons: Cobra AMP 4-GW

Wedges: Callaway Forged Copper 56* and 60*

Putters: Scotty Cameron  35" (Several of the flow neck blade variety)

Ball: Bridgestone B330-RX and Srixon Z-Star

Bag: Nike Performance Carry

Until Tiger beats Jack's record Jack is the best. And if Jack had the new equipment and balls when he was in his prime he'd be as long as Tiger... easily. And a whole lot more accurate with his driver. Didn't he hit a drive over 400 yards at one of the British Opens?

WBL

What's In the Bag
Callaway FTiq Tour i-mix 9.5º with stiff Mitsubishi Rayon Javlnfx 6
Cobra F-Speed LD 3-wood 15.5º with 43" YS Tour AD regCobra Baffler DWS 20º & 23º with Aldila VS Proto HL regPing S59 3-PW with Nippon PRO 950GH stiffTitleist Vokey Spin Milled 56º wedgeInazone B...

That's just not true. After their first 14 full years on tour (Jack 1962-1975 and Tiger 1997-2010) they both won 14 majors.

I voted in 2009, so it was 13 years for Tiger, and I wasn't talking only about major victories. Tournament wins, percentage of tournaments won, player of the year honors, scoring average, etc. As we've seen this year, Tiger didn't continue his normal pace of winning 1 major and another 5 or 6 tournaments, so we'll see if he regains his form.

I voted in 2009, so it was 13 years for Tiger, and I wasn't talking only about major victories. Tournament wins, percentage of tournaments won, player of the year honors, scoring average, etc. As we've seen this year, Tiger didn't continue his normal pace of winning 1 major and another 5 or 6 tournaments, so we'll see if he regains his form.

Your statement was made a few days ago, lol. And from the beginning, Tiger himself (and his father) stated the main goal of his career is surpassing Jack's 18 professional major championships. The was his and most everyone's benchmark, not things like % of tournaments won, lol.

My Tools of Ignorance:

Driver: Ping I20 9.5*
Woods/Hybrids: Cobra AMP 3W and 3 HY

Irons: Cobra AMP 4-GW

Wedges: Callaway Forged Copper 56* and 60*

Putters: Scotty Cameron  35" (Several of the flow neck blade variety)

Ball: Bridgestone B330-RX and Srixon Z-Star

Bag: Nike Performance Carry

Your statement was made a few days ago, lol. And from the beginning, Tiger himself (and his father) stated the main goal of his career is surpassing Jack's 18 professional major championships. The was his and most everyone's benchmark, not things like % of tournaments won, lol.

Which statement? That I thought people should watch some footage of Nicklaus and understand his accomplishments before saying "I love Tiger, he's the greatest." I was defending Nicklaus, stop

lol ing yourself, it literally makes no sense. I said when I voted in the poll (in 2009) I chose Tiger based on a comparison of their careers up until that point. I don't care what Tiger or his father use as a measuring stick, and as I've said numerous times, I'm still rooting for Jack to hold on to the majors crown.

Jack, without a doubt. Winning from the likes of Greats - Arnie and Gary in his time. He would never have compained about a little wind at St Andrews. (Not that Tiger did) but the complaining was evident. He was a Professional. Period.
"Carpe Diem"

Lee Trevino said this in his My Shot ( Golf Digest ) segment:

"People ask me who's better, Tiger or Jack. It's close, but if they played one 18-hole round, both men in their primes, I'd have to take Jack. He was longer than Tiger, a better putter, and he'd game-plan Tiger to death. Nicklaus at his best always found a way to win."

Lee Trevino said this in his My Shot (

Mr. Trevino is mistaken. The better putter is purely subjective and Jack seems to have a lot more second place finishes on his resume. I'd say he was a better grinder - not a guy who'd fake an injury in order to withdraw.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

Mr. Trevino is mistaken. The better putter is purely subjective and Jack seems to have a lot more second place finishes on his resume. I'd say he was a better grinder - not a guy who'd fake an injury in order to withdraw.

Youve got to be kidding me. Tiger up until this year was the EPITOME of a grinder. He NEVER quit. How do you think he won from all those deficits before?

Youve got to be kidding me.

Sorry, I meant this year with the quitting.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

No........... he's been a great front runner. He's mailed a few in over the years.

No, in regular tour events he has at least 20 come from behind wins. The idea that hes only a great front runner comes from the fact that he doesnt blow leads very often and that he hasnt come from behind in a major. He has routinely made up deficits for wins in regular events. He never mailed it in until this year.