IGNORED

Jack vs. Tiger: Who's the Greatest Golfer?

sungho_kr

Greatest Golfer (GOAT)  

218 members have voted

1. 1. Tiger or Jack: Who's the greatest golfer?

• Tiger Woods is the man
    • Jack Nicklaus is my favorite

Stop and consider this a moment.  Up to that point, no golfer in history had the opportunity to play in more majors than Jack.  Players in other eras did NOT have the same opportunities for a variety of reasons - the major did not exist (Masters), the majors were not held because of war, it was far more costly in both time and money for players on one side of the Atlantic to regularly play on the other side's majors (and let's not forget that majors were even taken away from earlier era players - Hagen won a number of Western Opens, which was considered a major at the time)    Jack was the first player to routinely play all four majors every year and even planned his schedule around them.

So given the twists and turns Jack had to take to get the golf word to acclaim him GOAT I would think that Tiger would get brownie points for maintaining is original goal.  If Tiger played the GOAT game like Jack did we would be hearing that the only fair way to compare golfers of different eras is their record in events in which at least 90% of the best players in the world competed and therefore Tiger wins because 34 (14 majors, 18 WGCs, 2 Players) is greater than 21 (1 majors and 3 Players).  THAT is just as good, if not better, than the one Jack proposed.

I don't see what difference it makes whether Jack met or didn't meet his goals.  Tiger stated his goal too and hasn't met it, so how do you declare him the best if those criteria don't qualify Jack?  They stand on their records, not on goals they set for themselves.  Those are nothing more than personal motivating factors.  Tiger has a few more tour wins, Jack has more majors.  There are other factors which are much more difficult to compare and can swing either way.

Neither player is clearly on a rung above the other except in a few inflexible minds.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I don't see what difference it makes whether Jack met or didn't meet his goals.  Tiger stated his goal too and hasn't met it, so how do you declare him the best if those criteria don't qualify Jack?  They stand on their records, not on goals they set for themselves.

That was ENTIRELY his point.  He was rebutting (once again) somebody for saying otherwise.

That was ENTIRELY his point.  He was rebutting (once again) somebody for saying otherwise.

Thank you, I thought that as rather obvious - except, of course to those few with inflexible minds.

But then again, what the hell do I know?

Rich - in name only

I go with Tiger.

-Matt-

"does it still count as a hit fairway if it is the next one over"

DRIVER-Callaway FTiz__3 WOOD-Nike SQ Dymo 15__HYBRIDS-3,4,5 Adams__IRONS-6-PW Adams__WEDGES-50,55,60 Wilson Harmonized__PUTTER-Odyssey Dual Force Rossie II

I go with Jack.

I go with Tiger.

Well, that should about settle it.

Dom's Sticks:

Callaway X-24 10.5° Driver, Callaway Big Bertha 15° wood, Callaway XR 19° hybrid, Callaway X-24 24° hybrid, Callaway X-24 5i-9i, PING Glide PW 47°/12°, Cleveland REG 588 52°/08°, Callaway Mack Daddy PM Grind 56°/13°, 60°/10°, Odyssey Versa Jailbird putter w/SuperStroke Slim 3.0 grip, Callaway Chev Stand Bag, Titleist Pro-V1x ball

• 2 weeks later...

What a poetic way to close this thread! Please, lock it!!!!!!!!! For the love of all :dance:

What a poetic way to close this thread! Please, lock it!!!!!!!!! For the love of all

I think you need to call 911 and report that guy holding the gun to your head forcing you to read this thread.  Or maybe you didn't realize you could close this thread for yourself by not clicking on it?

I've never understood the need to censor, some folks have.

• Upvote 1

Rich - in name only

I think you need to call 911 and report that guy holding the gun to your head forcing you to read this thread.  Or maybe you didn't realize you could close this thread for yourself by not clicking on it? I've never understood the need to censor, some folks have.

Thank you Dr Maturity

In my Bag: Driver: Titelist 913 D3 9.5 deg. 3W: TaylorMade RBZ 14.5 3H: TaylorMade RBZ 18.5 4I - SW: TaylorMade R7 TP LW: Titelist Vokey 60 Putter: Odyssey 2-Ball

I think you need to call 911 and report that guy holding the gun to your head forcing you to read this thread.  Or maybe you didn't realize you could close this thread for yourself by not clicking on it?

For the love of God, lighten up. Do you have a Tiger Woods poster hanging in your bedroom next to your collection of Little League participation trophies?

Thank you Dr Maturity

For the love of God, lighten up. Do you have a Tiger Woods poster hanging in your bedroom next to your collection of Little League participation trophies?

Well argued.  Not really.  You should both go to the logical fallacies thread in the Geek zone.

Rich - in name only

@turtleback , I'm guessing you might not have read the two posts that @dkolo quoted in his post that @mmoan2 quoted?  It was clearly a tongue in cheek comment ... and (IMO) quite funny.

I go with Jack.

I go with Tiger.

mmoan is right ... that is poetic.  Seriously ... are any of the previous 8 million posts more "correct" than these two?  I don't think they are. ;)

• Upvote 1

@turtleback , I'm guessing you might not have read the two posts that @dkolo quoted in his post that @mmoan2 quoted?  It was clearly a tongue in cheek comment ... and (IMO) quite funny.

mmoan is right ... that is poetic.  Seriously ... are any of the previous 8 million posts more "correct" than these two?  I don't think they are. ;)

Thanks, man! I just thought it would be a good way to end a 5000 post forum.

For selfish reasons, I'm inclined to agree!

Dom's Sticks:

Callaway X-24 10.5° Driver, Callaway Big Bertha 15° wood, Callaway XR 19° hybrid, Callaway X-24 24° hybrid, Callaway X-24 5i-9i, PING Glide PW 47°/12°, Cleveland REG 588 52°/08°, Callaway Mack Daddy PM Grind 56°/13°, 60°/10°, Odyssey Versa Jailbird putter w/SuperStroke Slim 3.0 grip, Callaway Chev Stand Bag, Titleist Pro-V1x ball

What a poetic way to close this thread! Please, lock it!!!!!!!!! For the love of all

I spectacularly misread your intent, and I apologize for my snarky rejoinder.

Rich - in name only

I spectacularly misread your intent, and I apologize for my snarky rejoinder.

No need to apologize for that. We're all men here. Cheers!

No need to apologize for that. We're all men here. Cheers!

I think some of the women on the board might take issue with that. ;-)

I appreciate your forbearance.

Part of being a man (or really just a decent person, since it applies to women as well) is owning your mistakes, fessing up, and apologizing.

But again, I appreciate your forbearance.

:beer:

Rich - in name only

Tiger.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave