IGNORED

Jack vs. Tiger: Who's the Greatest Golfer?

sungho_kr

Greatest Golfer (GOAT)  

218 members have voted

1. 1. Tiger or Jack: Who's the greatest golfer?

• Tiger Woods is the man
    • Jack Nicklaus is my favorite

18 hours ago, Dufferpauly said:

Woods has done damage to the game...

This is without a doubt the most ridiculous comment I've ever read on this forum. 

Golf is without a doubt more popular worldwide right now than it would have been if Tiger Woods was never born.

Driver: :callaway: Rogue Max ST LS
Woods:  :cobra: Darkspeed LS 3Wood/3Hybrid
Irons: :tmade: P770 (4-PW)
Wedges: :callaway: MD3 50   MD5 54 58 degree  
Putter: :odyssey:  White Hot RX #1
Ball: :srixon: Z Star XV

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

13 minutes ago, klineka said:

This is without a doubt the most ridiculous comment I've ever read on this forum. 

Golf is without a doubt more popular worldwide right now than it would have been if Tiger Woods was never born.

Agree. Thats pretty silly. Almost as ridicolus as saying the Mets wont win the world series this year. The game is immeasurably better off because of Tiger. 

6 hours ago, Groucho Valentine said:

Agree. Thats pretty silly. Almost as ridicolus as saying the Mets wont win the world series this year. The game is immeasurably better off because of Tiger. 

Who would ever even THINK the Amazins won't win the World Series this year? We are right on pace. Five minutes into spring training, Dominic Smith has a Quad injury, Lagares is hurt, Bruce has Plantar Facitis, and you know how healthy our pitchers always are. LET'S GO METS!!!

• Like 1

PING G400 Max 9*  Taylormade  M2 15*  Callaway Steelhead XR 19* & 22*   Callaway Apex CF-16 5-GW  Callaway MD3 54* & 58*  RIFE 2 Bar Hybrid Mallet 34"

1 hour ago, Dufferpauly said:

Yeah, right...a club throwing, mentally ill, prescription drug addicted product of a toxic childhood is great for golf...

Club throwing: Yeah, and Jack almost took someone’s head off when he launched his putter 50’ in the air. 

Mentally ill: That’s just plain asinine.

Rx drug addicted: Kinda showing your ignorance there. Many, MANY times it’s not the patient’s fault. People who have true chronic severe pain often achieve addiction as an unfortunate consequence of struggling to control their pain.

Toxic Childhood: Tiger had a very devoted father to develop his natural talent for golf. Tiger had to endure many more obstacles as a youth to play golf. Unlike Jack who came from a Ward Cleaver family and was given every opportunity he needed without discrimination.

Your comments are beyond ridiculous.

• Thumbs Up 1

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

7 hours ago, turtleback said:

I'm just trying to figure out how Tight blew away the field at the '97 Masters - long before this PED nonsense started getting peddled.

And the '00 U.S. Open at Pebble.

There literally isn't any evidence that Tiger took PEDs, he's not that big of a guy.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

3 minutes ago, Vinsk said:

Club throwing: Yeah, and Jack almost took someone’s head off when he launched his putter 50’ in the air. 

Mentally ill: That’s just plain asinine.

Rx drug addicted: Kinda showing your ignorance there. Many, MANY times it’s not the patient’s fault. People who have true chronic severe pain often achieve addiction as an unfortunate consequence of struggling to control their pain.

Toxic Childhood: Tiger had a very devoted father to develop his natural talent for golf. Tiger had to endure many more obstacles as a youth to play golf. Unlike Jack who came from a Ward Cleaver family and was given every opportunity he needed without discrimination.

Your comments are beyond ridiculous.

Even for a TW apologist you are amazing...he’s not a “patient...” he is just another celebrity with a dr. Feelgood ...devoted father? HAHAHAHAHAHA...he was Lavar Ball before Lavar Ball...oh yeah, perfectly normal to pay whores 1500 a pop in Vegas night after night with kids and a wife at home and not expect them to talk...TW is Todd Marinovich, Ryan Leaf, Johnny Manzel, Lawrence Phillips etc etc...nothing new here, except it is golf...

41 minutes ago, Dufferpauly said:

Even for a TW apologist you are amazing...he’s not a “patient...” he is just another celebrity with a dr. Feelgood ...devoted father? HAHAHAHAHAHA...he was Lavar Ball before Lavar Ball...oh yeah, perfectly normal to pay whores 1500 a pop in Vegas night after night with kids and a wife at home and not expect them to talk...TW is Todd Marinovich, Ryan Leaf, Johnny Manzel, Lawrence Phillips etc etc...nothing new here, except it is golf...

None of your childish remarks have anything to do with Tiger GOAT or Jack. It’s not a discussion on who was the greatest person of all time. A man paying prostitutes or having an affair while married may be a poor decision but it’s not being mentally ill. 

You’ve done a poor job of discussing Jack being the GOAT. You’ve only shown an intense dislike for Tiger ( I think you’re actually just projecting your subconscious envy and fascination for him and your odd attraction to Jack) and made no solid argument as to Jack being the GOAT. 

Jacks overall win % for his career was 12%. Tiger’s is three times that.

Ease up on that Golden Bear Ice Cream chief...think you’ve had a liiiitle too much.

Edited by Vinsk

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

Now you are just showing plain ignorance/man crush on TW...there is no stat comparison between the two...TW in early 40s falling apart physically while Jack wins the 86 Masters at what age?  The transformation in TW appearance was Barry Bonds-esque...clear PED and all the health downsides that come with it...the demonstration of poor character gives eveyone a peek into this freak’s mind...he is a miserable and unhappy person who spend 2 years hiding out in a giant mansion getting take out and playing video games...yeah, that sounds a lot like Jack Nicklaus...

• Administrator

There is no stat comparison. You’re right. Tiger crushes Jack statistically.

And he did so against significantly stronger and deeper fields.

Jack won a Masters at 46? Okay. So what? Tiger won a 91-hole Open on a broken leg.

You’ve clearly never seen Tiger or Barry Bonds in person. That statement is pure ignorance. You have no actual evidence of PED use. Jack smoked for a time. I don’t care personally but that is a fact.

The discussion is about the men as golfers. Jack doesn’t have a spotless past.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

4 hours ago, iacas said:

There is no stat comparison. You’re right. Tiger crushes Jack statistically.

And he did so against significantly stronger and deeper fields.

Jack won a Masters at 46? Okay. So what? Tiger won a 91-hole Open on a broken leg.

You’ve clearly never seen Tiger or Barry Bonds in person. That statement is pure ignorance. You have no actual evidence of PED use. Jack smoked for a time. I don’t care personally but that is a fact.

The discussion is about the men as golfers. Jack doesn’t have a spotless past.

Just because you sell golf shoes for a living doesn’t mean you are right.  TW faced better fields?  Jack faced the likes of MULTIPLE major winners every single week, like Gary Player (also better than TW). TW conducts himself on and off the course in a shameful manner...there are literally millions of TW haters...gee, I wonder why?  And your respose?  “Uh, Jack Nicklaus smoked...”.   HAHAHAHAHAHA.  

Hey Dufferpauly,

This isn't the who is a better father thread, nor is it the Tiger hater thread - you are free to start those if you'd like. And according to you there will be millions attracted to join you there. FWIW, none of them are perfect people, men, fathers, etc. Jack was the greatest in his era (arguably) and Tiger was/is the greatest in his era (arguably) - so this discussion is about who is the best golfer.

Ahhh - never mind, your on a roll. {insert haters gonna hate meme}

Players play, tough players win!

• Administrator
44 minutes ago, Dufferpauly said:

Just because you sell golf shoes for a living doesn’t mean you are right.

:hmm:  I don’t sell golf shoes for a living. If your goal is to demonstrate some sort of knowledge, you're off to a poor start.

And simple math is what makes me right about the strength and depth of fields.

Got a whole other topic about that:

Bon appetit.

• Thumbs Up 1

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

8 hours ago, Dufferpauly said:

Now you are just showing plain ignorance/man crush on TW...there is no stat comparison between the two...

Since you state that their is no stat comparison between the two, can you please present the stats that you think demonstrate that Jack was better than Tiger?

Jack faced the likes of MULTIPLE major winners every single week, like Gary Player (also better than TW).

So did Tiger. 

Vijay Singh

Phil Mickelson 

Ernie Els

Mark O'Meara

I'm not saying any of those players are better than Jack or Gary Player, but just like Jack, Tiger also faced multiple major winners every week. Not only did Tiger win a lot against those players, he dominated them some weeks.

9 hours ago, Dufferpauly said:

TW is Todd Marinovich, Ryan Leaf, Johnny Manzel, Lawrence Phillips etc etc...nothing new here, except it is golf...

You just compared the greatest golfer to ever walk this planet to Ryan Leaf and Johnny Manziel? 

Someone that has 79 career PGA tour victories and completely changed the sport forever, or two former first round draft picks that were huge busts and only played in the NFL for a combined 6 years.

here are literally millions of TW haters...gee, I wonder why?  

The attendance at the courses he has played at this year and the TV ratings suggest there are more Tiger fans than there are haters

Please back up your claims with statistics. Otherwise your claims are just opinions. Like others have said, we aren't debating who is the better person. We are debating who was the better golfer. You have yet to back up your claims that support Jack with facts (Other than Jack won one major at 46).

Edited by klineka
  • Thumbs Up 1

Driver: :callaway: Rogue Max ST LS
Woods:  :cobra: Darkspeed LS 3Wood/3Hybrid
Irons: :tmade: P770 (4-PW)
Wedges: :callaway: MD3 50   MD5 54 58 degree  
Putter: :odyssey:  White Hot RX #1
Ball: :srixon: Z Star XV

Just because you sell golf shoes for a living doesn’t mean you are right.  TW faced better fields?  Jack faced the likes of MULTIPLE major winners every single week, like Gary Player (also better than TW). TW conducts himself on and off the course in a shameful manner...there are literally millions of TW haters...gee, I wonder why?  And your respose?  “Uh, Jack Nicklaus smoked...”.   HAHAHAHAHAHA.  

Do I sell shoes-Just because I am a PGA guy and does that also make me un-knowing too?

Cuz buddy I played against Jack in the fields.-A lot of us did. The fields were weak weak weak back then.

Jack was a racist idiot who smoked and could swear and curse with the best of them.-Can not blame him for any of those, just a product of times.

I do not sell shoes-And I do not buy your brand of spouted BS.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

"The expert golfer has maximum time to make minimal compensations. The poorer player has minimal time to make maximum compensations." - And no, I'm not Mac. Please do not PM me about it. I just think he is a crazy MFer and we could all use a little more crazy sometimes.

• Administrator
14 minutes ago, klineka said:

The attendance at the courses he has played at this year and the TV ratings suggest there are more Tiger fans than there are haters

Tiger is "bad for the game," somehow, yet https://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/Daily/Issues/2018/02/26/Research-and-Ratings/Overnights.aspx

CBS drew a 2.9 overnight rating for the 3:15-6 pm ET block of Sunday’s 2018 Honda Classic, that’s up 38% over Rickie Fowler’s 2017 win on NBC. The Tiger effect played an incredible role given the competition in that window that included NASCAR (3.1), Winter Olympics (2.2) and NBA (Spurs-Cavs) on ABC (2.3). 

This after the lead-in from Big-10 matchup between Michigan State-Wisconsin drew only a 1.4 in its 1-3:15 pm ET window.

Saturday’s Honda Classic third round drew a 1.8 on CBS, with a 0.8 lead-in audience from Louisville-Virginia Tech.

#NeedleMover

This Duffy fellow seems to be either engaging in selective outrage, or is a top shelf troll. The way tiger played the game and his demeanor while he was in his prime emasculated a lot of golf fans, IMO. Especially older ones who grew up idolizing the more gentile figures the game had in the 60's and 70's.  I think there is a personal resentment that alot of folks have against Tiger that they will never let go of. By any subjective measure you look at it, Tiger is the best who's ever picked up a golf club. Probably will be for a very long time. Revisionism about his personal behaviors or phantom rumors about steroids doesn't erase what he's done for golf nor his place at the top. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Phil McGleno said:

Do I sell shoes-Just because I am a PGA guy and does that also make me un-knowing too?

Cuz buddy I played against Jack in the fields.-A lot of us did. The fields were weak weak weak back then.

Jack was a racist idiot who smoked and could swear and curse with the best of them.-Can not blame him for any of those, just a product of times.

I do not sell shoes-And I do not buy your brand of spouted BS.

HAHAHAHAHAHA...Mac O’Grady!  17 Q schools and nothing to show for it!  just as nutty as TW but basically a hacker...