IGNORED

Jack vs. Tiger: Who's the Greatest Golfer?

sungho_kr

Greatest Golfer (GOAT)  

218 members have voted

1. 1. Tiger or Jack: Who's the greatest golfer?

• Tiger Woods is the man
    • Jack Nicklaus is my favorite

6 hours ago, Throwback said:

What the hell is a Goat any way? Jack was the best in his day, Tiger the best in his. The real question is who is next.

No, the question is ‘Who’s the GOAT...(Greatest Of All Time) Jack or Tiger. The answer is Tiger. 

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Its one of those threads where there will never be full agreement (which is fine, if we all agree'd life would be boring).

But everyone seems to be trawling over the same ground.

May i suggest a new catagory and/or topic?

COAT: Crappiest Of All Time :-D

Russ, from "sunny" Yorkshire = :-( 

In the bag: Driver: Ping G5 , Woods:Dunlop NZ9, 4 Hybrid: Tayormade Burner, 4-SW: Hippo Beast Bi-Metal , Wedges: Wilson 1200, Putter: Cleveland Smartsquare Blade, Ball: AD333

15 hours ago, Throwback said:

What the hell is a Goat any way? Jack was the best in his day, Tiger the best in his. The real question is who is next.

Greatest Of All Time

15 hours ago, GrandStranded said:

Sorry, didn't ignore the points you made, I simply disagreed with them. You take random charts, stats (any can be easily skewed to support either side) and depth vs quality arguments which favor your side of the discussion and take them as gospel.I'm going by what I saw with my own eyes. Thats good enough for me.  Again for the last time, I favored Tiger, by a slim margin. This isn't good enough for the pro Tiger crowd, so be it.  

Apparently both cannot be given that much credit. One has to be better, and by a lot, it seems.

Where was it ever said Trevino was #2? By who? The guy who just took it out of context?

All I said was that it is going to be harder to win against 100 players than against 40 or 50.  That was pretty much my only point.  You disagree with that?

2 minutes ago, TigerIsTheGOAT said:

Greatest Of All Time

All I said was that it is going to be harder to win against 100 players than against 40 or 50.  That was pretty much my only point.  You disagree with that?

Explain to me which day it was exactly, when from lets say 1975 to 1997, there suddenly appeared these 50 or 60 better players on tour every week you are talking about, who not only graced us with their superior skills, but made every field deeper. I don't remember when or how they appeared so suddenly.

PING G400 Max 9*  Taylormade  M2 15*  Callaway Steelhead XR 19* & 22*   Callaway Apex CF-16 5-GW  Callaway MD3 54* & 58*  RIFE 2 Bar Hybrid Mallet 34"

19 minutes ago, GrandStranded said:

Explain to me which day it was exactly, when from lets say 1975 to 1997..

Probably when the Web.com tour was created in 1990. This offered a chance for people to play competitive golf and compete for a chance to get on the PGA Tour.

From there the quality of play has steadily increased and has probably peaked out over the past 5 years. I've posted this before. The scoring average has shifted lower from 1986 till today. The distribution is tighter as well, meaning there are less bad golfers (relative to tour average). There are more people scoring at the top end as well (more elite golfers).

Spoiler

Scoring Average.jpg

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

9 minutes ago, saevel25 said:

Probably when the Web.com tour was created in 1990. This offered a chance for people to play competitive golf and compete for a chance to get on the PGA Tour.

From there the quality of play has steadily increased and has probably peaked out over the past 5 years. I've posted this before. The scoring average has shifted lower from 1986 till today. The distribution is tighter as well, meaning there are less bad golfers (relative to tour average). There are more people scoring at the top end as well (more elite golfers).

Reveal hidden contents

Scoring Average.jpg

I'm going to respectfully disagree about the Web/Nike Tour. I think with the explosion of prize money in golf, and other sports, more young athletes saw golf as a viable way to make a great living, as opposed to those who came of age in previous eras. Golf suddenly became one more option for them.  That, and the leaps made in ball and club technology are the biggest factors, I feel, in improved scoring. As far as the physical training, sure it's a tool some players use, but remember, we are talking about golf. You have a Dustin Johnson, you have a Jason Reed. Tiger - Phil, Jason Day -Charlie Huffman. Justin Thomas weighs what? 150 pounds? Sure there are a lot of physical specimens on tour, and if they feel a training regimen helps them, it certainly might. But in golf, it isn't a necessity like it is in other sports. On a side note, this reminds me of the really funny commercial from a few years back. Tim "Lumpy" Herron eating hot dogs while watching a fellow pro work out feverishly...   

PING G400 Max 9*  Taylormade  M2 15*  Callaway Steelhead XR 19* & 22*   Callaway Apex CF-16 5-GW  Callaway MD3 54* & 58*  RIFE 2 Bar Hybrid Mallet 34"

• Administrator
1 hour ago, GrandStranded said:

Explain to me which day it was exactly, when from lets say 1975 to 1997, there suddenly appeared these 50 or 60 better players on tour every week you are talking about, who not only graced us with their superior skills, but made every field deeper. I don't remember when or how they appeared so suddenly.

We have an entire other topic about this:

It's a simple math problem, @GrandStranded. One that's been made several times in that topic.

This topic is about Jack vs. Tiger. If you want to only talk about the piece of that regarding strength and depth of field, the other topic is your jam.

The fields are both much stronger and deeper now than they were in the 1960s or 1970s, and that's not an opinion.

But discuss it "over there" if you would, please.

37 minutes ago, GrandStranded said:

I'm going to respectfully disagree about the Web/Nike Tour. I think with the explosion of prize money in golf, and other sports, more young athletes saw golf as a viable way to make a great living, as opposed to those who came of age in previous eras. Golf suddenly became one more option for them.

Which increased the strength and depth of field… But again, for the other topic, please.

Charlie Huffman. Justin Thomas weighs what? 150 pounds?

http://www.mytpi.com/articles/swing/charley_hoffman's_body-swing_connection

And Justin Thomas works out, btw.

But in golf, it isn't a necessity like it is in other sports.

It kinda is these days.

On a side note, this reminds me of the really funny commercial from a few years back. Tim "Lumpy" Herron eating hot dogs while watching a fellow pro work out feverishly...   

Tim Herron has had six top tens (with only one finish higher than 4th) since 2009. In 167 events.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

On 3/6/2018 at 4:16 PM, GrandStranded said:

Where was it ever said Trevino was #2? By who? The guy who just took it out of context?

That's just the way I took it since you were comparing him to Tiger's obvious number 2.

Live from the doghouse.

I think Tiger beat much better fields but the 97 Master's was a bunch of old guys, Faldo and amazing golf by him. The highlights are of Nicklaus, Watson, Faldo, Player and a bunch of other old guys. The fields he crushed early on could be argued by the Jack is the GOAT crowd. He beat them so bad though it it wouldn't have mattered if they were a little better.

Trollin' is the life

14 hours ago, MuniGrit said:

I think Tiger beat much better fields but the 97 Master's was a bunch of old guys, Faldo and amazing golf by him. The highlights are of Nicklaus, Watson, Faldo, Player and a bunch of other old guys. The fields he crushed early on could be argued by the Jack is the GOAT crowd. He beat them so bad though it it wouldn't have mattered if they were a little better.

In 1997 Ernie Els was one of the best golfers in the history of the world. 

:tmade:  - SIM2 - Kuro Kage silver 60 shaft
:cobra:  - F9 3W, 15 degree - Fukijara Atmos white tour spec stiff flex shaft

:tmade: - M2 hybrid, 19 degree
:tmade: - GAPR 3 iron - 18degree
:mizuno: MP-H5 4-5 iron, MP-25 6-8 iron, MP-5 9-PW

Miura - 1957 series k-grind - 56 degree
:bettinardi: - 52 degree
:titleist: - Scotty Cameron Newport 2 - Putter

check out my swing here

19 hours ago, MuniGrit said:

I think Tiger beat much better fields but the 97 Master's was a bunch of old guys, Faldo and amazing golf by him. The highlights are of Nicklaus, Watson, Faldo, Player and a bunch of other old guys. 

Your post doesn't make any sense. It may be your perception but it's not the truth.

In the '97 field you had Ernie Els, Phil, Vijay, Fred Couples, Davis Love, Greg Norman, Jim Furyk, David Duval,  Colin Montgomerie, Steve Stricker, Tom Lehman, Lee Westwood. All in their 20's or 30's (except for Norman). A lot of those guys I mentioned are in the HOF. And yes I get Couples or DL3 might not be as "legit" as others but they all had good careers.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

2 hours ago, mvmac said:

Your post doesn't make any sense. It may be your perception but it's not the truth.

In the '97 field you had Ernie Els, Phil, Vijay, Fred Couples, Davis Love, Greg Norman, Jim Furyk, David Duval,  Colin Montgomerie, Steve Stricker, Tom Lehman, Lee Westwood. All in their 20's or 30's (except for Norman). A lot of those guys I mentioned are in the HOF. And yes I get Couples or DL3 might not be as "legit" as others but they all had good careers.

As for comparing Tiger's contemporaries to the Big Three of Jack, Arnie, and Gary Player, I'd stack Tiger, Phil, and Vijay up against them and feel pretty good about it. 

Hunter Bishop

"i was an aspirant once of becoming a flamenco guitarist, but i had an accident with my fingers"

My Bag

Titleist TSI3 | TaylorMade Sim 2 Max 3 Wood | 5 Wood | Edel 3-PW | 52° | 60° | Blade Putter

3 hours ago, mvmac said:

I'm just saying the actual leaderboard was pretty scarce. Yes those guys you listed is a pretty good lost but they weren't what they turned out to be at that time. In fact if you take all those guys minus Norman, did they even have 20 PGA wins combined?  I know 97 Vijay and Ernie didn't have very many PGA Tour wins yet. Els had 1 major.

Nobody was competing with Woods that year. The difference between Woods even at that age and the next best guy was miles.

Edited by MuniGrit

Trollin' is the life

23 hours ago, MuniGrit said:

What is funny about this comment is that the fields Jack beat in the British were mostly guys you never heard of.  It was not routine for top American players to go over, in those days.  If anyone's accomplishments get marked down for weak fields it is Jack's so-called remarkable run of high finishes in the BO.  I know it is hard to believe for those who either didn't live during it or who look at the past through rose-colored glasses, majors did not have the same cachet back then as they do now.  Remember the big hue and cry when a good but not top American golfer didn't go over for the British Open (can't remember his name)?  Whereas a guy who was arguably the best player in the game from 1968-1970, Billy Casper, only played in a handful of them and no one looked askance at all.

But then again, what the hell do I know?

Rich - in name only

4 minutes ago, turtleback said:

What is funny about this comment is that the fields Jack beat in the British were mostly guys you never heard of.  It was not routine for top American players to go over, in those days.  If anyone's accomplishments get marked down for weak fields it is Jack's so-called remarkable run of high finishes in the BO.  I know it is hard to believe for those who either didn't live during it or who look at the past through rose-colored glasses, majors did not have the same cachet back then as they do now.  Remember the big hue and cry when a good but not top American golfer didn't go over for the British Open (can't remember his name)?  Whereas a guy who was arguably the best player in the game from 1968-1970, Billy Casper, only played in a handful of them and no one looked askance at all.

I've already said I thought Tiger played the game at the highest level the game has ever seen. 

Trollin' is the life

1 hour ago, MuniGrit said:

I know 97 Vijay and Ernie didn't have very many PGA Tour wins yet. Els had 1 major.

Ernie else had 19 pga victories and 28 euro tour victories and 4 majors.  

His resume is impeccable. 

check out my swing here

12 minutes ago, lastings said:

Ernie else had 19 pga victories and 28 euro tour victories and 4 majors.  

His resume is impeccable. 

How about in 97?

Trollin' is the life

3 hours ago, MuniGrit said:

How about in 97?

What’s that matter?   Is he somehow a worse golfer or a lesser challenge because he was just entering the prime of his career? 

check out my swing here