IGNORED

Jack vs. Tiger: Who's the Greatest Golfer?

sungho_kr

Greatest Golfer (GOAT)  

217 members have voted

1. 1. Tiger or Jack: Who's the greatest golfer?

• Tiger Woods is the man
    • Jack Nicklaus is my favorite

58 minutes ago, Lihu said:

Tiger used the same steel shafted clubs to beat everyone in the beginning...

Thanks @Lihu.

I was trying to figure out why or how new technology would have much of an effect on this discussion for either side. I read that it would helps those who are not as good of ball strikers, but I never thought it would make enough of a difference to use it as an argument - if everyone was using it.

If Tiger was using old equipment and still beating the pants off everyone who were all using the new equipment, the pro Tiger argument has some validity, IMO. 

Jon

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

35 minutes ago, turtleback said:

No one was talking about you.  @ScouseJohnny specifically said, and I was specifically addressing:

"Dig deep enough in old Sand Trap threads and you'll find opinions that Vijay was nothing all that special, or, worse still, a suspected cheat and, possibly, a jolly bad egg."

See, old threads.  So I guess I am glad I am not the only one to misread a post.  

Which is why I said complexion AND his origin.  I can't remember many players from exotic locales like Fiji playing on tour.  The pathway he took to the tour didn't even exist in the 50s, 60s, or 70s. 

And while the clause was eliminated, the effects endured for a long time.  Neither people of color nor foreign players were looked on too approvingly by the tour and it's players, even when they had to accept both.

Perhaps we just read sentences differently. When I read what @ScouseJohnny wrote, I don't think HE is bashing Vijay at all. He is talking about opinions others posted years back. But, hey, just continue to create your own reality.  

Edited by GrandStranded

PING G400 Max 9*  Taylormade  M2 15*  Callaway Steelhead XR 19* & 22*   Callaway Apex CF-16 5-GW  Callaway MD3 54* & 58*  RIFE 2 Bar Hybrid Mallet 34"

25 minutes ago, JonMA1 said:

Thanks @Lihu.

I was trying to figure out why or how new technology would have much of an effect on this discussion for either side. I read that it would helps those who are not as good of ball strikers, but I never thought it would make enough of a difference to use it as an argument - if everyone was using it.

If Tiger was using old equipment and still beating the pants off everyone who were all using the new equipment, the pro Tiger argument has some validity, IMO. 

Tiger has said repeatedly he wishes the Tour forced the guys to use persimmon and balata. He grew up with that stuff. Born 1975 and began playing at age 2. Was a prodigy with persimmon and balata probably until he was a teenager when he switched to metal woods. 

52 minutes ago, turtleback said:

Which is why I said complexion AND his origin.  I can't remember many players from exotic locales like Fiji playing on tour.  The pathway he took to the tour didn't even exist in the 50s, 60s, or 70s. 

And while the clause was eliminated, the effects endured for a long time.  Neither people of color nor foreign players were looked on too approvingly by the tour and it's players, even when they had to accept both.

I assure you he would have been far more welcome in Memphis in the early 60s than Pete Brown or Charlie Sifford. Thankfully by the mid 70s Lee Elder was welcomed. I'm sure there was a few that didn't like it but they kept to themselves. I followed him during a practice round in the mid 70s and didn't hear any derogatory things at all. He had game too.

Edited by sheepdog

Live from the doghouse.

8 minutes ago, Dr. Manhattan said:

Tiger has said repeatedly he wishes the Tour forced the guys to use persimmon and balata. He grew up with that stuff. Born 1975 and began playing at age 2. Was a prodigy with persimmon and balata probably until he was a teenager when he switched to metal woods. 

He performed pretty well after making the switch also. LOL 

PING G400 Max 9*  Taylormade  M2 15*  Callaway Steelhead XR 19* & 22*   Callaway Apex CF-16 5-GW  Callaway MD3 54* & 58*  RIFE 2 Bar Hybrid Mallet 34"

25 minutes ago, GrandStranded said:

Perhaps we just read sentences differently. When I read what @ScouseJohnny wrote, I don't think HE is bashing Vijay at all. He is talking about opinions others posted years back. But, hey, just continue to create your own reality.  

You owe me a new irony meter.

2 minutes ago, brocks said:

You owe me a new irony meter.

How about a new box of crayons, 

Edited by GrandStranded

27 minutes ago, GrandStranded said:

AND I didn't say @ScouseJohnny bashed him either.  What part of OLD THREADS is eluding your understanding? 

2 minutes ago, GrandStranded said:

And now you are just trolling.

But then again, what the hell do I know?

Rich - in name only

Just now, turtleback said:

AND I didn't say @ScouseJohnny bashed him either.  What part of OLD THREADS is eluding your understanding? 

So who are you saying did?

5 minutes ago, Dr. Manhattan said:

Pretty good article about Tiger's perspective on the technology revolution of the last 15 years. 

http://www.businessinsider.com/tiger-woods-is-playing-catch-up-with-new-golf-club-technology-2016-11

Great article, thanks.

But either I'm crazy, or people really like to exaggerate how bad things were in the 60's.  I played all through that decade, and I don't remember having a hard time finding a round ball, nor do I remember the courses being in bad shape, even in the small desert town where I lived.  We had like one greenskeeper and a couple of young assistants.  I can't imagine that major venues had a bunch of sheep grazing on them like some people make it sound.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, GrandStranded said:

So who are you saying did?

The people in those OLD THREADS

Which did not include the people recognizing Vijay for the great player he is/was in THIS thread.  C'mon, this isn't rocket science.  If you want to go back and look, be my guest.  But clearly you are just trolling at this point, so I'm done with you.

Rich - in name only

2 minutes ago, brocks said:

Great article, thanks.

But either I'm crazy, or people really like to exaggerate how bad things were in the 60's.  I played all through that decade, and I don't remember having a hard time finding a round ball, nor do I remember the courses being in bad shape, even in the small desert town where I lived.  We had like one greenskeeper and a couple of young assistants.  I can't imagine that major venues had a bunch of sheep grazing on them like some people make it sound.

I think the unround ball thing was a MacGregor thing.  Interesting that both leading GOAT contenders were considered by many of their peers to be playing inferior equipment. 

From that article it sounds like the equipment that Tiger won the '97 Masters with wasn't all that dissimilar to what Jack AND Ben played with.  Actually Gary Player, with his Shakespeare fiberglass shafts was the equipment trailblazer, although the fiberglass shafts were a cul de sac, technology and longevity-wise.  But my very first set, a hand me down from the uncle who introduced me to the game, was a set of those.  I was the only guy out there playing with clubs with black shafts.

• Like 1

Rich - in name only

• Administrator
4 hours ago, GrandStranded said:

But, hey, just continue to create your own reality.  

3 hours ago, GrandStranded said:

We can do without these kinds of comments.

They are not moving the discussion forward.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

9 hours ago, GrandStranded said:

. But, hey, just continue to create your own reality.  

You said this to @turtleback? LOL. @turtleback et al have painstakingly and politely tried to bring you to reality despite your unsuccessful attempts to remain in yours. Come on.

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

12 minutes ago, Vinsk said:

You said this to @turtleback? LOL. @turtleback et al have painstakingly and politely tried to bring you to reality despite your unsuccessful attempts to remain in yours. Come on.

I know, right? What was I thinking? Lesson learned. I don't expect you to forgive, but I will try hard to be a better person in the future.

No worries. Many have clung to the old notion that Jack is the GOAT. It’s nostalgic to think like that ...great guy, good ice cream, but anyone with a little intelligence comes around to the obvious eventually.

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

51 minutes ago, Vinsk said:

No worries. Many have clung to the old notion that Jack is the GOAT. It’s nostalgic to think like that ...great guy, good ice cream, but anyone with a little intelligence comes around to the obvious eventually.

Couldn't agree more. As I'm sure you know, I've said many times in this thread I give Tiger the edge over Jack. Hopefully we eventually find more people with a little intelligence to talk the obvious with over ice cream.

Edited by GrandStranded