IGNORED

Jack vs. Tiger: Who's the Greatest Golfer?

sungho_kr

Greatest Golfer (GOAT)  

218 members have voted

1. 1. Tiger or Jack: Who's the greatest golfer?

• Tiger Woods is the man
    • Jack Nicklaus is my favorite

So when did Tiger become the GOAT and what is the conversion table for the wins and majors between the eras? Not being sarcastic. Seriously asking.Β 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Administrator
35 minutes ago, GrandStranded said:

I agree, and I'm certainly not going to convince you either. Best to end it here.

You chose to end it when you closed your mind off to new thoughts and ideas. You're going by what you feel or think, it seems, not considering actual information or facts or even the types of things Jack Nicklaus himself has said.

26 minutes ago, 3puttglenn said:

Β I think you can look at the records Tiger has, and the choice is easy who is best of all time... Tiger holds recordsΒ  that are so incredible we wont live long enough to see someone break them.

Maybe.

17 minutes ago, ncates00 said:

So when did Tiger become the GOAT and what is the conversion table for the wins and majors between the eras? Not being sarcastic. Seriously asking.Β 

I'm sure it's slightly different for everyone.

FWIW, as long as the factor is 1.25, that's enough to basically tie Tiger with Jack at 18, and then given the weight of Tiger'sΒ otherΒ achievements… tough not to vote for Tiger.

Others would say it's irrelevant. Even at a weighting factor of 1… 14 < 18, but Tiger's other achievements are enough to push him over the edge.

Others might say as high as 3x - that it's three times more difficult to win a major now than it was in the 60s. That's too high for my tastes, but I can see where they're getting that number. In that case, 52 is quite a bit more than 18.

1.25 is pretty low. The fields areΒ definitely at least 25% stronger now.

Erik J. Barzeski β€” β›³Β I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. πŸŒπŸΌβ€β™‚οΈ
Director of InstructionΒ Golf EvolutionΒ β€’Β Owner,Β The Sand Trap .comΒ β€’Β Author,Β Lowest Score Wins
Golf DigestΒ "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17Β &Β "Best in State" 2017-20Β β€’ WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019Β :edel:Β :true_linkswear:

Check Out:Β New TopicsΒ |Β TST BlogΒ |Β Golf TermsΒ |Β Instructional ContentΒ |Β AnalyzrΒ |Β LSWΒ | Instructional Droplets

32 minutes ago, 3puttglenn said:

Β I think you can look at the records Tiger has, and the choice is easy who is best of all time... Tiger holds recordsΒ  that are so incredible we wont live long enough to see someone break them.

Β 

As does Jack also.

PING G400 Max 9*Β  TaylormadeΒ  M2 15*Β  Callaway Steelhead XR 19* & 22* Β  Callaway Apex CF-16 5-GWΒ  Callaway MD3 54* & 58*Β  RIFE 2 Bar Hybrid Mallet 34"

well one thing is for sure... we've seen tiger dominate more then any golfer in history... we've seen tiger win by margins that were records setting in the US open and the masters..Β  AND Tiger is the only modern golfer to hold all four major trophys at the same time.

33 minutes ago, 3puttglenn said:

well one thing is for sure... we've seen tiger dominate more then any golfer in history... we've seen tiger win by margins that were records setting in the US open and the masters..Β  AND Tiger is the only modern golfer to hold all four major trophys at the same time.

I don't agree with the "dominated more then any golfer in history" comment. He did dominate more then any golfer in his era. As Jack did in his., and Hogan, and Jones, to name a couple more, in theirs. Yes he did have two record setting tournaments, so have many other greats, again, Jack included. To your final point, yes Tiger held all four at one time. Certainly a great achievement. Jack won a few majors himself back in the day.

PING G400 Max 9*Β  TaylormadeΒ  M2 15*Β  Callaway Steelhead XR 19* & 22* Β  Callaway Apex CF-16 5-GWΒ  Callaway MD3 54* & 58*Β  RIFE 2 Bar Hybrid Mallet 34"

• Administrator
3 minutes ago, GrandStranded said:

I don't agree with the "dominated more then any golfer in history" comment. He did dominate more then any golfer in his era. As Jack did in his., and Hogan, and Jones, to name a couple more, in theirs.

Jack didn't really "dominate" like Tiger did.

C'mon, @GrandStranded… you're gonna upset @turtleback, or at least demonstrate how poorly you've read his posts. Or not read them at all.

Jack was pretty good for a long time. Tiger dominated like no other golfer, against the stiffest competition by anyone who "did pretty darn well" even for a little (any of the people you named).

Erik J. Barzeski β€” β›³Β I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. πŸŒπŸΌβ€β™‚οΈ
Director of InstructionΒ Golf EvolutionΒ β€’Β Owner,Β The Sand Trap .comΒ β€’Β Author,Β Lowest Score Wins
Golf DigestΒ "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17Β &Β "Best in State" 2017-20Β β€’ WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019Β :edel:Β :true_linkswear:

Check Out:Β New TopicsΒ |Β TST BlogΒ |Β Golf TermsΒ |Β Instructional ContentΒ |Β AnalyzrΒ |Β LSWΒ | Instructional Droplets

1 minute ago, iacas said:

Jack didn't really "dominate" like Tiger did.

C'mon, @GrandStranded… you're gonna upset @turtleback, or at least demonstrate how poorly you've read his posts. Or not read them at all.

Jack was pretty good for a long time. Tiger dominated like no other golfer, against the stiffest competition by anyone who "did pretty darn well" even for a little (any of the people you named).

Okay, and yes I've read his posts, and understand his reasoning. Maybe I phrased it wrong, but I was referring to "within their eras".

53 minutes ago, 3puttglenn said:

The Tiger Slam. Ah. Something that may never happen again in our lifetimes. Jack never even came close to winning four majors in a row ever. Not close at all (well '72 he had a chance to hold all four because of a scheduling quirk.). Enough said.

What's in Shane's Bag?Β  Β  Β 

Ball: 2022 :callaway:Β Chrome Soft Triple Track Driver: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond 8Β° MCA Kai’li 70s FW: :callaway:Paradym Triple DiamondΒ Β H: :callaway:Β Apex Pro 21 20Β°I (3-PW) :callaway: Apex 21 UST Recoil 95 (3), Recoil 110 (4-PW). Wedges: :callaway:Β Jaws Raw 50Β°, 54Β°, 60Β° UST Recoil 110Β Putter: :odyssey:Β Tri-Hot 5K Triple Wide 35”

• Administrator
5 minutes ago, GrandStranded said:

Okay, and yes I've read his posts, and understand his reasoning. Maybe I phrased it wrong, but I was referring to "within their eras".

So was I.

Tiger dominated much more so than Jack did.

4 minutes ago, onthehunt526 said:

The Tiger Slam. Ah. Something that may never happen again in our lifetimes. Jack never even came close to winning four majors in a row ever. Not close at all (well '72 he had a chance to hold all four because of a scheduling quirk.). Enough said.

Scheduling quirk? I don't remember that...

• Administrator
3 minutes ago, GrandStranded said:

Scheduling quirk? I don't remember that...

https://www.pga.com/news/golf-buzz/jack-nicklaus-won-1971-pga-championship-today

5 minutes ago, iacas said:

So was I.

Tiger dominated much more so than Jack did.

Not trying to argue here, simply asking. If Tiger is blessed with continued good health, and goes on to play another 10 years or so, yet wins only 5-6 more tournaments, none of them majors... History would consider his era from 1997 thru about 2027. Would you still feel the same way?

16 minutes ago, GrandStranded said:

Not trying to argue here, simply asking. If Tiger is blessed with continued good health, and goes on to play another 10 years or so, yet wins only 5-6 more tournaments, none of them majors... History would consider his era from 1997 thru about 2027. Would you still feel the same way?

Longevity is overrated. If a golfer won 50% of all tournaments in a 10 year stretch they are the greatest of all-time.Β 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
Β fasdfaΒ dfdsafΒ 

What's in My Bag
Driver;Β :pxg:Β 0311 Gen 5,Β  3-Wood:Β 
:titleist:Β 917h3 ,Β  Hybrid:Β  :titleist:Β 915 2-Hybrid,Β  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel:Β (52, 56, 60),Β  Putter: :edel:,Β  Ball: :snell:Β MTB,Β Β Shoe: :true_linkswear:,Β  Rangfinder:Β :leupold:
Bag:Β :ping:

• Administrator
18 minutes ago, GrandStranded said:

Of course. He dominated for a sufficiently long period of time. Past tense - "dominated."

1 minute ago, saevel25 said:

Longevity is overrated. If a golfer won 50% of all tournaments in a 10 year stretch they are the greatest of all-time.Β 

Did Tiger ACTUALLY do that? Again, asking. That number seems awfully high...

6 minutes ago, GrandStranded said:

Did Tiger ACTUALLY do that? Again, asking. That number seems awfully high...

No, but the argument is always, "Jack had a long career, blah blah blah".Β 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
Β fasdfaΒ dfdsafΒ 

What's in My Bag
Driver;Β :pxg:Β 0311 Gen 5,Β  3-Wood:Β 
:titleist:Β 917h3 ,Β  Hybrid:Β  :titleist:Β 915 2-Hybrid,Β  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel:Β (52, 56, 60),Β  Putter: :edel:,Β  Ball: :snell:Β MTB,Β Β Shoe: :true_linkswear:,Β  Rangfinder:Β :leupold:
Bag:Β :ping:

5 minutes ago, saevel25 said:

No, but the argument is always, "Jack had a long career, blah blah blah".Β 

Hmmmm...