Jump to content
IGNORED

Jack vs. Tiger: Who's the Greatest Golfer?


Greatest Golfer (GOAT)  

213 members have voted

  1. 1. Tiger or Jack: Who's the greatest golfer?

    • Tiger Woods is the man
      1630
    • Jack Nicklaus is my favorite
      817


Recommended Posts

2 minutes ago, Vinsk said:

Wrong. Tiger and many other current players have hit persimmon and older drivers and they hit it as far and further than Jack. Be real. Have you compared youthful Jack to some of these guys today? Physically?

1581449619929.jpeg

In his prime, Jack Nicklaus was the one everyone chased. Drop that golfer into today's game, and it would be case still, giving these three measures of success

It can be hard, then, to picture Nicklaus as the longest player on the PGA Tour. But that’s exactly what he was in his heyday. Consider this: In 1963, Nicklaus won the long-drive contest at the PGA Championship with a 341-yard blast. “That drive was 341 yards, 17 inches. I do remember that, too,” he told Golf Channel in 2013. “That was an 11-degree wood driver, 32.75 inch Dynamic Edge shaft.”

4 minutes ago, Vinsk said:

Wrong. Tiger and many other current players have hit persimmon and older drivers and they hit it as far and further than Jack. Be real. Have you compared youthful Jack to some of these guys today? Physically?

You honestly think Nicklaus wouldn't be a fitness fanatic playing the past 20-25 years?

The guy was as driven to be the greatest as anyone, ever. Including Tiger Woods.

Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Replies 7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

For some reason, you have missed hundreds of posts that do accept that.  I've often said I can't even prove that Tiger would beat Vardon head to head, although I'd bet on him. What I CAN prove is

That's very unfair to Jack, since he played events well into his 60's.  It also distorts Tiger's record, since he played injured for several years. It would be more fair to look at the the period

Your quote highlights something that Tiger is seldom given credit for, which is that he has never (to my knowledge) tried to lobby for himself the way Jack did. Tiger is pursuing the two biggest

Posted Images

18 minutes ago, csh19792001 said:
23 minutes ago, Vinsk said:

 

You honestly think Nicklaus wouldn't be a fitness fanatic playing the past 20-25 years?

The guy was as driven to be the greatest as anyone, ever. Including Tiger Woods.

Right. But he wasn’t. Nicklaus can’t help that he won tournaments with minimal SOFs. But...he did. Just a fact. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

1 minute ago, Vinsk said:

Right. But he wasn’t. Nicklaus can’t help that he won tournaments with minimal SOFs. But...he did. Just a fact. 

Can you actually define and quantify "minimal strength of fields".

Please explain the disparity between the average player in Jack's time and Tiger's.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Just now, csh19792001 said:

Can you actually define and quantify "minimal strength of fields".

Please explain the disparity between the average player in Jack's time and Tiger's.

 

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

1 minute ago, csh19792001 said:

Lazy and dismissive.

What’s lazy is you’ve come into a thread making claims that have been debunked years ago. Read the thread and stop being lazy.

5 minutes ago, csh19792001 said:

Can you actually define and quantify "minimal strength of fields".

Please explain the disparity between the average player in Jack's time and Tiger's.

Here..Jack does it for you:215ACC4E-97BD-4556-99A5-17334D6EBA47.thumb.png.626f9dd7ff9d082321cbdba00d202602.png

Edited by Vinsk
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

3 minutes ago, Vinsk said:

What’s lazy is you’ve come into a thread making claims that have been debunked years ago. Read the thread and stop being lazy.

I thought you simply linked the entire thread. I apologized and corrected myself.

I don't think reading about Tiger vs. Jack 10, 15 years ago has much relevance. Tiger was only mid career by that point.  

Nor is reading 98% of the posts that are literally one line and say "Tiger is the greatest" etc. Combing through all that, thousands of posts, is a waste of time. 

 If you have specific posts that explicate field strengths, I'm all ears.

Edited by csh19792001
Link to post
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, csh19792001 said:

 If you have specific posts that explicate field strengths, I'm all ears

The burden is on you. I’m supposed to go through the thread and present the data for you? Now that’s being lazy.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

4 minutes ago, Vinsk said:

What’s lazy is you’ve come into a thread making claims that have been debunked years ago. Read the thread and stop being lazy.

Here..Jack does it for you:215ACC4E-97BD-4556-99A5-17334D6EBA47.thumb.png.626f9dd7ff9d082321cbdba00d202602.png

That's very interesting but anecdotal. It doesn't do much to advance the field strength argument; it's his subjective perception. 

Where are the cogent, comprehensive posts about the strength of fields and the strength of the average player?

Thank you! 🙂

1 minute ago, Vinsk said:

The burden is on you. I’m supposed to go through the thread and present the data for you? Now that’s being lazy.

I figured, being a veteran of this forum, and (also) this thread, that you might be able to remember posts where something comprehensive and unbiased is presented about field strengths. 

You present as if you know a ton about this topic and have been quite involved in this conversation. That's why I'll defer to you. 

Not wishing to sift through 7000 posts where 99% of it is irrelevant- and also just tripe- is not being lazy. Asking veterans and long time members is thoughtful, I'd say.

Link to post
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, csh19792001 said:

Not wishing to sift through 7000 posts where 99% of it is irrelevant- and also just tripe- is not being lazy.

So you’re calling 99% of a thread tripe despite not having read 99% of it ? Gotcha.

Maybe you can get some free labor from @turtleback or @brocks. They’re much more knowledgeable about this topic than me.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

2 minutes ago, Vinsk said:

So you’re calling 99% of a thread tripe despite not having read 99% of it ? Gotcha.

Maybe you can get some free labor from @turtleback or @brocks. They’re much more knowledgeable about this topic than me.

I read hundreds and hundreds of posts. Have you read all 7,000 posts? 

If so, why aren't you able to send links to posts to support your argument? 

Link to post
Share on other sites

@csh19792001one thing on major wins is that Jack did win more majors but at least two were “Gifted” to him. See 66 Masters and 70 US open.  Without those he is at 16 majors. Even with 18 majors Jack won @ 10% of of the majors he played in while Tiger won @ 18%.  That makes Tiger’s 15 very impressive.  Combine that with Tiger’s PGA Tour and other worldwide wins, which are more than Jack, is evidence In favor of Tiger.

I agree comparing players of different time is hard and did struggle with that myself but ultimately I do think Tiger is GOAT.  

I still respect Jack’s accomplishments and understand why he is in the discussion.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

@csh19792001 I get it’s a long thread. But it’s kinda like making some claims and asking questions that a book, which you haven’t read, has answered. Surely you can understand why some members aren’t going to engage until you’ve ‘read the book.’ 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

33 minutes ago, csh19792001 said:

I read hundreds and hundreds of posts. Have you read all 7,000 posts? 

If so, why aren't you able to send links to posts to support your argument? 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Just now, StuM said:

@csh19792001one thing on major wins is that Jack did win more majors but at least two were “Gifted” to him. See 66 Masters and 70 US open.  Without those he is at 16 majors. Even with 18 majors Jack won @ 10% of of the majors he played in while Tiger won @ 18%.  That makes Tiger’s 15 very impressive.  Combine that with Tiger’s PGA Tour and other worldwide wins, which are more than Jack, is evidence In favor of Tiger.

I agree comparing players of different time is hard and did struggle with that myself but ultimately I do think Tiger is GOAT.  

I still respect Jack’s accomplishments and understand why he is in the discussion.

You have to compare them through the same age to compute percentages of wins fairly.

Tiger just finished his age 44 season. Tiger has played in 85 Majors as a professional. Through the same age, Jack had played in 92 Majors as a professional.

During those 85 Majors, Woods won 15, finished second 7 times, and third four times. Jack won 17 Majors, finished second 19 times, and third 9 times. Against much better top 5 competition, but (ostensibly) significantly weaker fields, overall. 

Just now, iacas said:

The strength and depth of fields is mathematically much stronger today than in Jack’s era.

The end.

Where's the math? 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.



  • Want to join this community?

    We'd love to have you!

    Sign Up
  • Support TST Affiliates

    TourStriker PlaneMate
    Golfer's Journal
    Whoop
    SuperSpeed
    FlightScope Mevo
    Use the code "iacas" for 10% off Mevo and the code "iacasjun21" for 10% off SuperSpeed.
  • Posts

    • I got my rejection for the masters and the ANWA late last week. Maybe next year. 
    • It's out there. I've seen it.
    • Another example is giving unsolicited advice. Could be as simple as, "it plays long." Supposed to be a two stroke penalty.  
    • Does anyone remember that photo from about 10 years ago that showed a guy walking across Washington Road with his beginner set of golf clubs on a  buggy because he had secured a ticket for one of the practice rounds? It was one of the funniest things I have ever seen. I've tried to find it but can't.
    • This was the fourth time I played round of golf and very first time I kept a score. I got 115, double par limit,  good bad or ugly?  This was also first time I played with this neighbor and his friend, thanks to them who don’t mind a newbie like myself. The course, canyon lake CA, is pretty short course 6000 yds but with some narrow fairway and quite a bit of elevation. My observation The first few rounds was when my friend, who got me into golf game, showed me around of what I would see in golf course and also showed me different stroke/shot and different clubs. First off, good stuffs, I got a few chances of birdie, two of them were short par 3 (150-160 yds) 5-iron hit on the green, a few straight driver 200+yds landed on fairway. Only got 1 par out of 18 holes, mostly double bogies and a few double par. Lost only 2 balls, got into bunker only 3 times (2 were successfully rescued in first strokes) and only 2 second hit from the tee.    The bad, ugly and need a lot of improvement. Got 4-5 drop penalties 2 lost ball, the rest were in the rough and behind brushes. Never got 1 putt into the holes mostly 2 putts and a few 3 putts. And quite a bit (4-5) of hit the ground shots. My observation. I need a lot of consistency, I got a few good shots while my neighbor’s friend (score 85) got only a few bad shots. Better judgment, instead of easily chipping (less than 30yds with clearly view to the flag, I pitched and end up either short or way over. Aiming, I only got the ball landed where I want it a few times, a few 15-25 feet off and a lot of not even close 😢😢😢. And clubs selection, I got a few shorts shot to the green (80-100yds). I hope this will improve the more I play. I enjoyed the game and company, I say it way better than when I had no idea what to do and what clubs to use.😁😁😁. A few shots I got on video  (short and missed aim, too bad I didn’t get any of lucky shots)  
  • Today's Birthdays

    1. andreanewman
      andreanewman
      (29 years old)
    2. Erg
      Erg
      (54 years old)
    3. Hacker James
      Hacker James
      (79 years old)
    4. irishmike27
      irishmike27
      (42 years old)

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Welcome to TST! Signing up is free, and you'll see fewer ads and can talk with fellow golf enthusiasts! By using TST, you agree to our Terms of Use, our Privacy Policy, and our Guidelines.

The popup will be closed in 10 seconds...