IGNORED

Jack vs. Tiger: Who's the Greatest Golfer?

sungho_kr

Greatest Golfer (GOAT)  

218 members have voted

1. 1. Tiger or Jack: Who's the greatest golfer?

• Tiger Woods is the man
    • Jack Nicklaus is my favorite

1 hour ago, iacas said:

And many think he has an unimpeachable claim to #1.

This whole Jack won 18 majors, so Jack is  the GOAT, and Tiger’s 15 make him not the GOAT, is comparable to Bill Russell being the GOAT of the NBA for winning 11 titles in 13 years, when the most teams in the league when he was playing was 14. No one says that Michael Jordan is any but the GOAT in the NBA. MJ won 6 titles in 8 years while taking a break to play minor league baseball. With a league that had 27 teams and then 29 when he came back. 

When Jack won his pre-1975 majors, the talent pool was not that deep. From 1976-1986 Jack won just 4 majors. Tiger yes had a drought with injuries, his vices, more injuries, etc. The talent pool where Tiger won the first 14 of his 15 majors, was three or four fold as deep as Jack’s ‘86 Masters. There were guys that would’ve and should’ve won a major or more majors in Tiger’s era, that didn’t because Tiger was just that dominant.

From 2000-08, Tiger Woods played in 34 majors championships, he WON 12. Post World War II no golfer in even there strongest 10 year stretch comes close (maybe Watson’s 8 and 5 out of 9 Open Championships, Nicklaus had 8 in the 1970s)

All I’m saying is no one has ever dominated the sport as thoroughly for an extended period of time, as Tiger Woods.

• Like 1

What's in Shane's Bag?     

Ball: 2022 :callaway: Chrome Soft Triple Track Driver: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond 8° MCA Kai’li 70s FW: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond  H: :callaway: Apex Pro 21 20°I (3-PW) :callaway: Apex 21 UST Recoil 95 (3), Recoil 110 (4-PW). Wedges: :callaway: Jaws Raw 50°, 54°, 60° UST Recoil 110 Putter: :odyssey: Tri-Hot 5K Triple Wide 35”

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

15 minutes ago, onthehunt526 said:

This whole Jack won 18 majors, so Jack is  the GOAT, and Tiger’s 15 make him not the GOAT, is comparable to Bill Russell being the GOAT of the NBA for winning 11 titles in 13 years, when the most teams in the league when he was playing was 14. No one says that Michael Jordan is any but the GOAT in the NBA. MJ won 6 titles in 8 years while taking a break to play minor league baseball. With a league that had 27 teams and then 29 when he came back. 

When Jack won his pre-1975 majors, the talent pool was not that deep. From 1976-1986 Jack won just 4 majors. Tiger yes had a drought with injuries, his vices, more injuries, etc. The talent pool where Tiger won the first 14 of his 15 majors, was three or four fold as deep as Jack’s ‘86 Masters. There were guys that would’ve and should’ve won a major or more majors in Tiger’s era, that didn’t because Tiger was just that dominant.

From 2000-08, Tiger Woods played in 34 majors championships, he WON 12. Post World War II no golfer in even there strongest 10 year stretch comes close (maybe Watson’s 8 and 5 out of 9 Open Championships, Nicklaus had 8 in the 1970s)

All I’m saying is no one has ever dominated the sport as thoroughly for an extended period of time, as Tiger Woods.

FWIW, it’s would be a better analogy if you picked another individual sport and not a team sport. Example: Michael Phelps in swimming or Simone Biles in gymnastics. Team sports have many more variables with respect to individual stats and team wins. There have been great players with phenomenal stats on teams that didn’t win championships example: Ted Williams. 

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Just now, boogielicious said:

FWIW, it’s would be a better analogy if you picked another individual sport and not a team sport. Example: Michael Phelps in swimming or Simone Biles in gymnastics. Team sports have many more variables with respect to individual stats and team wins. There have been great players with phenomenal stats on teams that didn’t win championships example: Ted Williams. 

Or Dale Earnhardt

What's in Shane's Bag?     

Ball: 2022 :callaway: Chrome Soft Triple Track Driver: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond 8° MCA Kai’li 70s FW: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond  H: :callaway: Apex Pro 21 20°I (3-PW) :callaway: Apex 21 UST Recoil 95 (3), Recoil 110 (4-PW). Wedges: :callaway: Jaws Raw 50°, 54°, 60° UST Recoil 110 Putter: :odyssey: Tri-Hot 5K Triple Wide 35”

Just now, onthehunt526 said:

Or Dale Earnhardt

He’s no Ricky Bobby!😜

• Like 1

Scott

My Swing Thread

Well okay then Tiger to Golf is like Michael Schumaker of F1. Or Usain Bolt of sprinting. Or Jason Belmonte of bowling.

• Thumbs Up 1

What's in Shane's Bag?     

Most everyone who likes Jack including myself is in a wheelchair or a box, Why don't we compare Tiger to Bobby Jones, or to Walter Hagen I'm sure their fan clubs will chime in.

27 minutes ago, Throwback said:

Bobby Jones, or to Walter Hagen I'm sure their fan clubs will chime in.

Golf competition back then was a joke. I'll say at least Jack had to play against a few handful of competent golfers. 

• Like 1

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

22 minutes ago, Throwback said:

Most everyone who likes Jack including myself is in a wheelchair or a box, Why don't we compare Tiger to Bobby Jones, or to Walter Hagen I'm sure their fan clubs will chime in.

Key word, likes. I was born in 1969 and watched a lot of Jack playing. I grew up as him being the GOAT and was thrilled when he won the ‘86 Masters. I put aside who I like. I look at the accomplishments and the field that those accomplishments were done in.

Doing that it’s undeniably clear that Tiger is the GOAT to this day of any golfer that has ever played. Jack never played a round of golf with the skill that Tiger brought to the seen. Jack was a phenomenal golfer who was fortunate enough to grab some early majors when the competition was quite frankly well below the standard of the PGA TOUR. Just like Snead who is gifted with having so many wins counted for him that no longer qualify. And Tiger being denied wins that counted for Snead. 

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

How much does lifestyle come into play deciding who is the greatest? Some will probably say it doesn't come into play at all, and should be based purely on golf skill, and some may say otherwise. What contrasting lifestyles these two golfers have had. If they both played in the same era, based on pure golf skill, I would have to give the edge to Tiger.

Thomas Gralinski, 2458080

Lifestyle, diet, exercise regime, climate where they practice, hair colour, number of wives, political persuasion, number of jobs as a youth, shoe size….. Time to retire this thread

• Funny 1

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

32 minutes ago, Billy Z said:

How much does lifestyle come into play deciding who is the greatest? Some will probably say it doesn't come into play at all, and should be based purely on golf skill, and some may say otherwise. What contrasting lifestyles these two golfers have had. If they both played in the same era, based on pure golf skill, I would have to give the edge to Tiger.

Walter Hagen wins hands down if we're factoring in lifestyle!

1 hour ago, Billy Z said:

How would Jack have done with death threats and bigotry? Or having cameras follow him everywhere he went? Jack was no angel either, but reporters let it slide back then. It is really not relevant though. We are basing our judgement on the course play. Tiger is clearly better.

• Thumbs Up 1

Scott

My Swing Thread

• Administrator
1 hour ago, Billy Z said:

:sigh:

• Funny 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Damn @Billy Z…you sure like to play Jenga with about every topic here….🙄

• Funny 1

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

1 hour ago, Double Mocha Man said:

Walter Hagen wins hands down if we're factoring in lifestyle!

Anyone before A/C has my vote. Throw in terrible clubs and no gloves, too. 

😛

6 minutes ago, ncates00 said:

Anyone before A/C has my vote. 

😛

It's really cool how they're able to air condition modern courses these days.  😉

From your icon I'm thinking you're in the Pacific Northwest.  Who says it always rains here?  Do you have a round booked for Monday when it'll be105 degrees?

Edited by Double Mocha Man

This is where we are in this thread:

Tiger has been proven beyond doubt that he is the greatest. 
Those who saw Dr Cary Middlecoff play think that it’s not as simple as that due to variables such as zips v buttons and wearing ties and frock coats v wearing Gore-tex jackets.

Those who favour Nicklaus are essentially looking for something  that could get him over the line to neutralise the many reasons why Tiger is easily the better player.

The most bizarre and most recent straw to be clutched at? “Lifestyle”. Give me strength……….

17 minutes ago, Vinsk said:

Damn @Billy Z…you sure like to play Jenga with about every topic here….🙄

Yeah, but all of the other pieces are glued together.

Edited by Shorty

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.