IGNORED

Jack vs. Tiger: Who's the Greatest Golfer?

sungho_kr

Greatest Golfer (GOAT)  

217 members have voted

1. 1. Tiger or Jack: Who's the greatest golfer?

• Tiger Woods is the man
    • Jack Nicklaus is my favorite

Tiger is also a baby. He makes 1 bad shot and he's whining, crying, and throwing his clubs.
I'm not saying he's a bad golfer, I just don't think he's better than Jack Nicklaus.

Tiger is also a baby. He makes 1 bad shot and he's whining, crying, and throwing his clubs.

Good point. Tiger's passion for the game and winning in general means he's worse than Nicklaus. I see where you're coming from.

Tiger > Jack, no questions asked If tiger keeps up the pace he's on right now (he probably won't, but for comparative purposes) he will win 30 majors, but we'll give age some notice and say he'll only win 23 or 24. The man won the U.S. Open with a torn ACL and a broken leg. In closing: Tiger Slam. Enough said.

Driver: Nike VRS Covert 

3 Wood: Taylormade Rocketballz

Hybrid: Nike Sumo 18*

Irons: Titleist AP1 4-PW

Wedges: Cleveland CG12 60* 56* & 52* 

Putter: Scotty Cameron Studio Style Newport 1.5

Who is the best golfer of all time?, I dont think it should be set in stone between Tiger and Jack..

For me, I take all things into consideration. I dont see "stats" as just the main argument. When it comes to winning, that comes and goes, which Tiger and Jack have obviously dominated. But thats not all that goes into a great golfer. I personally think that no other human being will have the mental skills, work ethic, and over all knowledge of the game more then Ben Hogan. Reading his stuff, and some of the stories, it seems like to me that he has been the closest to "figuring" the crazy game of golf out. Some of the stuff he has concluded means much more then the amount of wins or top 5's kept track of. I guess I just think he had the biggest pasion for golf, especially with all that he went through.

But then again, aren't these all just opinions?

Like he said though, "The answer is in the dirt..."

In the Bag:

Driver: Titleist 905T
Hybrid: Titleist 585H Hybrid
Irons: Nike Pro Combo 3-PWWedges: Titleist Vokey Spin Milled 56*, 60* Titleist Vokey 52*Putter: Odyssey 6660 Ball: Titleist ProV1

Tiger all the way. you have to be old to like jack.

tiger has reshaped how golf is played

Driver: :tmade: 2017 M1 9.5° / 3-wood: :tmade: AeroBurner 13.5° / Irons: :mizuno:  MP-69 (3-PW) / Wedges: :titleist: SM6 Vokey 50°, 54°, 58° / Putter: :titleist: Scotty Cameron Newport with SuperStroke 3.0 slim, 50g counterweight / Balls: :bridgestone:  Tour B330-S

NLC Cup 2017 Champion / Grand Master's Cup 2017 Champion / TDR Cup 2017 Champion / DTG Celebration Cup 2017 Champion

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Tiger all the way. you have to be old to like jack.

One very valuable lesson Tiger has taught young male golfers: swing hard like me and you hurt yourself, and then cannot play golf. MORAL OF THE STORY: swing like Fred Funk, Loren Roberts, Kenny Perry, and have a long career. Really go after the ball, and have a short career. The hard swingers do NOT last; the smooth swingers play until they are in their 70's. Look at Slammin' Sammy Snead, Tom Watson, etc. Jack played the Senior Tour and won Majors there. Tiger will never play the Senior Tour. His career, unfortunately, will be over long before he is 50.

Mitch Pezdek------Dash Aficionado and Legend in My Own Mind

Golden Bear without a doubt, he's my namesake!

LUCKY YOU!! Can you play like him, with the driver, the long irons, the concentration, and the ability to make critical putts under pressure?

TIGER is the man!
Bag: Ping Pioneer
Driver: Cobra Speed LD-M
3 Wood: Adams Insight XTD A3 OS
Hybrids: Adams Idea A3 OS
Irons: Adams Idea A3 OSWedges: Adams Idea A3 OSChipper: Odyssey Marxman X-Act ----------Yes I use a chipper!Putter: Odyssey Tri-BallBalls: Noodle

After seeing HBO's Back Nine at Cherry Hills: The Legends of the 1960 U.S. Open. I've really come to appriciate Jack and Arnold. Those guys were amazing!!...

You are SO RIGHT. And Jack was an amateur and played with Ben Hogan in the final round. Hogan and Jack were contenders to the very last hole. The pain in Hogan's legs made him dunk that shot on the last hole, and Jack succumbed to the pressure, but still had a chance to win. Arnie simply hitched up his pants, smoked his cigarette, drove the first green ( a par 4), and charged to a tournament winning score of 65. GREAT MAJOR. One of the best ever!!!

One very valuable lesson Tiger has taught young male golfers: swing hard like me and you hurt yourself, and then cannot play golf. MORAL OF THE STORY: swing like Fred Funk, Loren Roberts, Kenny Perry, and have a long career. Really go after the ball, and have a short career. The hard swingers do NOT last; the smooth swingers play until they are in their 70's. Look at Slammin' Sammy Snead, Tom Watson, etc. Jack played the Senior Tour and won Majors there. Tiger will never play the Senior Tour. His career, unfortunately, will be over long before he is 50.

I think Fred Funk, Loren Roberts and Kenny Perry would be happy to trade careers with Tiger. You can't be serious that you think a young golf wants to have a career like those guys and not one like Tiger.

I think Fred Funk, Loren Roberts and Kenny Perry would be happy to trade careers with Tiger. You can't be serious that you think a young golf wants to have a career like those guys and not one like Tiger.

I am serious in terms of longevity. Tiger is unique. If others think that they can swing out of their spikes with the driver, and still recover, they will find out how uniquely talented Tiger is. The woods, rough, and water hazards are full of golf balls from players who tried to swing hard like Tiger. Come to think of it, the River at the K Club still has Tiger's Nike ball from his first shot in the Ryder Cup two years ago in Ireland. Bad pull left that made Jim Furyk, his playing partner, totally in shock!! The water hazard at Royal Montreal that Mike Weir hit over on the last hole in their match in the Presidents Cup still has Tiger's ball. You can recover from trees, rough, and fairway traps, BUT hit into the water------------------and it is SPLISH SPLASH, LOSE THE MATCH!!! Every player has the freedom to choose a player whose swing they copy. If he or she makes the wrong choice, he or she pays the price.

I am serious in terms of longevity. Tiger is unique. If others think that they can swing out of their spikes with the driver, and still recover, they will find out how uniquely talented Tiger is. The woods, rough, and water hazards are full of golf balls from players who tried to swing hard like Tiger. Come to think of it, the River at the K Club still has Tiger's Nike ball from his first shot in the Ryder Cup two years ago in Ireland. Bad pull left that made Jim Furyk, his playing partner, totally in shock!! The water hazard at Royal Montreal that Mike Weir hit over on the last hole in their match in the Presidents Cup still has Tiger's ball. You can recover from trees, rough, and fairway traps, BUT hit into the water------------------and it is SPLISH SPLASH, LOSE THE MATCH!!!

There may be water hazards that have Tiger's ball, but there is a trophy case at Tiger's house that held every major trophy at once. I'm sure most guys would give up their careers to have one of Tiger's better years. To say that all Tiger does is swing hard is ridiculous. Tiger has an incredible swing and has actually backed off the all out power of his youth.

Driver: 9.5° 905R Stiff Aldila NV 65
3 Wood: 15.° Pro Trajectory 906F4 Stiff Aldila VS Proto Blue
Hybrid: 19.0° 503 H Stiff Dynamic Gold S400
Hybrid: 21.0° Edge C.F.T. Ti Stiff Aldila NVS
Irons: 775cb 4-GW w/S300 Sand Wedge: Vokey 58° Puttter: Laguna Mid-Slant Pro PlatinumBall: ProV1Bag: Li...

As a way of ingratiating myself into the good graces of the silica-like “powers-that-be” I shall endeavor to respond to the question, “Whom do I consider to be the greatest golfer: Jack or Tiger?”
I think that the poet William Blake put it best…”Tiger, Tiger burning bright” although Blake spelled Tiger with a “y” instead of “i” which is immaterial since he was writing about the actual feline of the species, and not nicknames, but I digress.
Did Jack ever win the U.S. Open on a broken leg? Sure Jack had to deal with some physical limitations during his career… like being a fat-body, but that’s not really the same thing as a broken bone.
Tiger won the greatest American golf tournament in an 18-hole playoff while playing through fantastic pain. Tiger will soon best Jack’s Major record – he’s only five from doing that, and only eighteen from having the most PGA wins (Snead at 82).
It is interesting too because Jack is Tiger’s golf hero, or at least he was in his formative years. I’m sure Tiger is his own hero now - in what could be called autological idolatry.
Quite simply, Tiger is the greatest golfer on this planet. Now, until we discover intelligent life elsewhere in the universe (and intelligent life means bipedal forms of recreation which translates into GOLF) this will continue to be the case.

"Every man is his own hell" - H.L. Mencken

okay here goes I have been in many a battle on this one.
Tiger agaist Jack can not be looked on as who won the most but who is the best.
Driver jack outdoes tiger with consistency and length considering against other golfers. (it is impossible to go on today's stats against yesterdays equipment) but Tiger stats suck here. GIR Jack outbeatstiger anytime. Putting is I believe Tiger without his great putting he would be just a golfer. he is the greatest I have ever seen.
Trying to compare these 2 is impossible but let's try
Tiger has a long way to go before he can be consistent like Jack.
Competition was fierce in Jacks day
Gary Player: Arnold Palmer:Lee Trevino: Tom Watson: Raymond Floyd: Julius Boros:Johnny miller: Sam Sneed : Nick Faldo:Gene Littler:Billy casper.
All winners most of them won many Majors and They were all consistent each week.
purses were 25k for 1st place on a good tourament so top 30 got nothing much to live on. Most golfers had to work every tournament to make enough money to live on. Their desire was high and winning was what is was all about.
Now a days against Tiger nobody stands out most are 2nd class finishers that make way too much money coming in on the top 30 so attitude is not there. We keep hoping for new blood and it never surfaces. Tiger is at this time not playing so, is Phil showing his class or Ernie or Vijay.... NO it's an open door every week with weak competition. Sorry I vote for Jack.
it's not only his victories but his second place finishes are huge and his attitude is above and beyond. He also knows the game from the turf up as his leadership is Golf course design shows us so much of the great man.

okay here goes I have been in many a battle on this one.

Good analysis. As I have stated, I am NOT taking sides because I am opposed to the very concept of one golfer being the greatest when we cannot have the nominees play each other in their prime. However, you are correct in everything you wrote, including the comparison of their respective competitions.

tiger now has a serious physical ailment just like jack did for most of his career. time will tell how tiger will be able to deal with it the way jack dealt with his. this will be the true test in how these great champions are compared.

They will beat their swords into golf clubs and their spears into putters. Nation will not take up sword against nation, nor will they train for war anymore. Old Tom Morris 2:4