IGNORED

Jack vs. Tiger: Who's the Greatest Golfer?

sungho_kr

Greatest Golfer (GOAT)  

218 members have voted

1. 1. Tiger or Jack: Who's the greatest golfer?

• Tiger Woods is the man
    • Jack Nicklaus is my favorite

Although some of you are not old enough to remember Jack in his prime. There are some of us old enough to remember when we hated Jack because he displaced Arnie. Arnie was the King to us and Jack was the "fatkid" when beat Arnold Palmer. If you think the Tiger Fans are high strung you should have seen Arnie's Army in the day. Arnold made the game popular for today's pros. The pro's with a sense of history don't look back to Jack but to Arnold Palmer. Arnold was not as talented but was a magnet for spectators.

Taylormade Driver HT
Taylormade 3 HT

Mcgregor 7w
Vulcan irons 5-P
Solus 53 61

Vokey 56

Scotty Caneron Flange/ Ping Cushin

Srixon ZStar

71 gold tees

bring cash

Out of the two choices, I pick Jack. Can't say he is my all time favorite though.

Out of all the players, I am kinda partial to Bobby Jones.

Atlas
Driver Opt1: King 440 10.5°
Driver Opt2: SuperQuad Stiff 10.5°
Irons: R7 4-PW, AW Steel Stiff
Lob wedge: Momentus Golf (Yes I also have the Weighted Driver )Hybrid: 20° Putter: Dual Force 330

Til Tiger catches him (which I believe he will), I vote for Jack.

What's in my bag:
Driver: 905R 10.5* Stiff
Fairway wood: 904F 19* Stiff
3-PW: AP2 1* flat with Project X 6.0 shafts
GW: 52*SW: Vokey 56* LW: Vokey 60*Putter: Tri-ballBall: ProV1 (preferred) or PD Super Soft (when I'm feeling cheap)

Although some of you are not old enough to remember Jack in his prime. There are some of us old enough to remember when we hated Jack because he displaced Arnie. Arnie was the King to us and Jack was the "fatkid" when beat Arnold Palmer. If you think the Tiger Fans are high strung you should have seen Arnie's Army in the day. Arnold made the game popular for today's pros. The pro's with a sense of history don't look back to Jack but to Arnold Palmer. Arnold was not as talented but was a magnet for spectators.

I am glad that you did this post. You are 100% correct, and in the book, "Arnie and Jack" by Ian O'Connor, Jack said that he had the wins, but Arnie had the LOVE of the fans, and he would have loved to trade some of his wins to get that kind of fierce support and loyalty. Arnie made golf what it is today because he had charisma and came along just as PGA tournaments were televised. Arnie and TV were "made for each other".

Also, Arnie revived interest in the Open Championship among American golfers and fans by playing every year in it. He came in second to Kel Nagle at St. Andrews in 1960 (after he had just won the Masters and the US Open that year), and then won in 1961 and 1962. We all owe a lot to Arnie, and knowledge pros of today know that. Lee Trevino has never tired of referring to Arnie as the "King".

Mitch Pezdek------Dash Aficionado and Legend in My Own Mind

tiger now has a serious physical ailment just like jack did for most of his career. time will tell how tiger will be able to deal with it the way jack dealt with his. this will be the true test in how these great champions are compared.

With the violence of Tiger's swing, this won't be his last injury. I once read an Orthopedist's analysis of the swing and the prediction of joint problems was made. Granted Tiger has an intense workout routine and is in fine shape but the stress on the joints is going to be a problem like it is for all of us someday.

Just had a thought, how good would lefty be if he worked as hard as Tiger?

Taylormade Driver HT
Taylormade 3 HT

Mcgregor 7w
Vulcan irons 5-P
Solus 53 61

Vokey 56

Scotty Caneron Flange/ Ping Cushin

Srixon ZStar

71 gold tees

bring cash

you must be sickly and in love as love is blind and sometimes foolish. You must agree his leg was not broken. Now I am unsure if you are aware of a great Soccer player called Ronaldo he had the same injury as Tiger a hairline fracture and at the end of the soccer year he got operation. Now if he can play 3 months of hard soccer with that injury how bad was Tigers broken leg come on now. His knee was the problem.

A bit unfair of me to say as im only young but I remember watching Tiger win his first green jacket when I was about nine and from that night on golf has become a love of my life. Nobody can deny that Tiger has contributed a huge amount to golf and without him I think golf would have suffered for the next generation. Not wanting to take anything away from Jack, he will always be one of the classic greats of the game but for my Tiger is the present and will influence future of golf and Jack is the past. Sorry if Ive annoyed anyone with my ignorance but I think thats what younger golfers feel these days.

With the violence of Tiger's swing, this won't be his last injury. I once read an Orthopedist's analysis of the swing and the prediction of joint problems was made. Granted Tiger has an intense workout routine and is in fine shape but the stress on the joints is going to be a problem like it is for all of us someday.

Earlier, I said the same thing about Tiger's swing and his fourth knee operation. In my opinion, there are two possible outcomes:

1. Tiger truly changes his golf swing to prevent such great stress on his left knee AND OTHER JOINTS, and is never "quite the golfer he used to be". He ends his career with 15 Professional Majors and never catches or surpasses Jack. When asked if it was worth it to swing that hard, Tiger answers, "Sure. At least I am second on the All Time List and DID IT MY WAY." 2. Tiger reverts to old habits, sprays the ball all over the place, and announces his early retirement. He has said in an interview shown on TV that when he gets to the point that he cannot play like he wants to and WIN, then he will "walk away from the game". He is in it to win, so that statement makes complete sense.

Earlier, I said the same thing about Tiger's swing and his fourth knee operation. In my opinion, there are two possible outcomes:

I don't really understand your constant negativity toward Tiger.

Outcome 1: Tiger may change his golf swing when he comes back, and he may not. But does it matter? He's used three different swings in his career, and been the best in the world with all three. His short game will make up for any ballstriking problems. Furthermore, Tiger would never say, "At least I am second on the All Time List..." He'd be pissed. Outcome 2: Tiger does have a habit of spraying the ball all over the place. He also has a habit of being the best in the world and winning majors while spraying the ball all over the place: his short game is just that good. Surgeries and possible swing changes will not affect his short game. As I said earlier, you negativity toward Tiger doesn't make much sense. Earlier in this thread, I supported your assertion that the argument for "greatest ever" should include more than Jack and Tiger. It seems, however, that you don't even think Tiger should be in this debate at all. In every statistical ranking (majors, wins, top finishes, etc.), Tiger is at or near the top. Clearly, he is one of the greatest to ever play the game. With another decade or so as the best in the world, he will unquestionably be the greatest . My money is on Tiger to continue his fine play and eventually cement his standing at the top, alone.

What's in my bag:

Driver: R7 CGB Max, regular shaft
4-wood and 7-wood: :: Launcher, regular shafts
4-iron to A-wedge: X-20, regular steel shafts56- and 60-degree wedge: forged, stiff steel shafts, vintage finish, MD groovesPutter: Circa '62, No. 7, steel shaft, 35"Ball: NXT Tour or ProV1(x)...

I think we all are watching the greatest golfer to play the game in Tiger Woods. I even think the competition is a little bit harder for Tiger than it was for Jack. Tiger's performance in the U.S. Open was the icing on the cake for me. It just proved that for the field to have a chance Tiger has to play on one leg (and yet he still pulled off the win). Whether you like Tiger or not, you have to put him at the top of the list when it comes to greatest golfers of all time.

What I play:
Titleist 905R 7.5* w/ Graphite Design YS-6+
Titleist 906F2 15* w/ Aldilla NVS 75s
Titleist 690mb (2-pw) w/ Dynamic Gold S300
Titleist Vokey spin milled 54* 60* wedges Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2 Heavy Titleist ProV1x ball

tiger is good but compared to Jack is difficult as Jack's competition was fierce week in and week out and Jack never rested between tournamrnts he played every one. Everyone brags of Tigers athletic body but his stamina is suspect.

That's not entirely true. 1972-73 were probably Jack's last 'full time' years, at age 32-33, then his tournaments played went down steadily after that. His desire to spend more time designing golf courses along with balancing that with family meant a leaner golfing schedule. He had surpassed Bobby Jones majors record by then, also, so his desire to play full time was much lower. He did however still maintain a desire to win majors.

To say Tiger's stamina is suspect is preposterous. If he had stamina issues at all, he wouldn't have made it through the first round at last months Open.

Driver: Cobra S2 9.5 Fubuki 73 Stiff | Wood: Titleist 909H 17 Aldila Voodoo Stiff | Irons: Titleist ZB 3-5, ZM 6-PW DG S300 | Wedges: Titleist Vokey SMTC 50.08, 54.11, 60.04 DG S200 | Putter: Scotty Cameron Fastback 1.5 33" | Ball: Titleist Pro V1x

That's not entirely true. 1972-73 were probably Jack's last 'full time' years, at age 32-33, then his tournaments played went down steadily after that. His desire to spend more time designing golf courses along with balancing that with family meant a leaner golfing schedule. He had surpassed Bobby Jones majors record by then, also, so his desire to play full time was much lower. He did however still maintain a desire to win majors.

You are right. Jack was noted for pacing himself and concentrating on the Majors. More importantly, in my opinion, his wife, Barbara, has said that Jack was a devoted family man and never missed the children's birthdays, their wedding anniversary, graduations, etc. Jack was the model professional golfer for those of us who like to see a man put his family as one of his top priorities. Look at how many Tour players have gone through divorces because travel took them away from home too frequently. Give credit to Jack, Arnie, Gary, Payne Stewart, and those who have accomplished taking care of their families.

My vote is for Jack. Im not old enough to remember his prime. But just looking at his stats, i dont think Tiger will ever match all of them. Tiger may get more that 18 major Wins. But Jack has 73 top 10 finishes, and 19 second place finishes in Majors. So far, through the end of 2008 season, Tiger has 29 top 10 finishes in Majors. He would need 44 more top 10 finishes to tie Jack That means starting in 2009, Tiger would need to finish in the top 10 in every major for the next 11 years. I just dont see that happening. Also Jack had a lot more competative competition than Tiger. Jack actually had people, like Tom Watson, Arnold Palmer, Gary Player, Lee Travino, that could challenge him on a weekly bases. Tiger so far has had no real consistent challenger. Jacks 37 1st and 2nd place finishes to me proves he is the greatest ever.