IGNORED

Jack vs. Tiger: Who's the Greatest Golfer?

sungho_kr

Greatest Golfer (GOAT)  

217 members have voted

1. 1. Tiger or Jack: Who's the greatest golfer?

• Tiger Woods is the man
    • Jack Nicklaus is my favorite

obviously I haven't read this whole thread so sorry if I take someones answer, but I don't believe in the whole "jack had more competition". Did it ever occur to some of you that Tiger REALLY IS that much better than the rest of the tour? And equipment? Everyone had the same equipment then and everyone has the same equipment now. So that's not a valid excuse. Even if Tiger doesn't eclipse the 18 majors, which he'll do anyway, he's still the best golfer ever.

"One of the reasons Arnie Palmer is playing so well is that, before each final round, his wife takes out his balls and kisses them. Oh my God, what have I just said."
US Open TV Commentator

S9-1 Pro D Driver 9.5 Degree Matrix Ozik XCON-6
CGB 3WPro Baffler 2/R 2HybridMP-37 Project X 6.0Vokey...

I would have to go Tiger.
Everyone says Tiger doesnb't have the same competition, no way.
I believe the players are better today and that proves just how good tiger is.
I don't think the Avg. play in the 70's was nearly as good as the avg. 2008 player.
TIGER, but I still love Jack as well.

Tiger Woods. Jack was very good, but Tiger is unbelieveable, plus he has quite a few more years to go.

:adams Idea A2   Cleveland Launcher Driver   Ping G10 Fairways    Cobra S2 irons

I can't believe ~75% here have voted for Tiger (must reflect age groups), great though he is. Tiger has done nothing in the Ryder Cup, let alone conceded a ~10 footer like Jack did to Tony Jacklin leading to a famous halved match with a comment such as "I wasn't going to allow you to miss it".

Tiger has been fantastic so far but he hasn't equalled Jack's Major record and even though he's on track, he may never get there. He may not come back from his ACL injury the same as he was before.

As for Tiger and distance etc, Jack could drive the 18th at St. Andrews with old balls and persimmon drivers. He'd have murdered it with modern gear and a 20-something physique.

Jack for me at the moment without a shadow of a doubt but ask me again in 10 years or so .

Home Course: Wollaton Park GC, Nottingham, U.K.

Ping G400, 9°, Alta CB 55S | Ping G400, 14°, Alta CB 65S | Adams Pro Dhy 18°, 21°, 24°, KBS Hybrid S | Ping S55 5-PW, TT DGS300 | Vokey 252-08, DGS200 | Vokey 256-10 (bent to 58°), DGS200 | Ping Sigma G Anser, 34" | Vice Pro Plus

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Jack was before my time. But it seems like Tiger is on pace to potentially be much more succesful through his career if he keeps things up. Jack went the distance and Tiger is just beginning so it is too early to call.

Tiger is of my generation and I've witnessed his greatness in my adult life. Jack was before my time. I go with Tiger.

Driver - TM Tour Burner 9.5*
3 Wood - Callaway Steelhead Plus
Hybrid -Titleist 585H 19*
Irons - Mizuno MP-30
Wedges - Vokey 52* & 56*Putter - SC Newport 2

I never saw Jack in his prime, and although I don't really "Like" Tiger I respect the he&% out of him so - TIGER
In the bag:
Adams Redline 9.5 Driver
Irons: Taylor Made r7 Steel Reg 3-PW
Ping Eye 2+ SW
Titleist Oil Can 50-08

i wanna say jack was better. i think he mighta been more of a natural swinger. Tiger is more methodical. check out jack nicklaus 1986 masters on youtube.
that being said, i'd like to see how many titles Tiger would win if he used the old technology Jack was using back then, not that he wouldnt win, just to see.

Lets just put it this way. Tiger is considered the greatest athlete on the planet. No one was saying that when Jack was in his prime. Plus are we just talking about just playing golf or the whole package?

Lets just put it this way. Tiger is considered the greatest athlete on the planet. No one was saying that when Jack was in his prime. Plus are we just talking about just playing golf or the whole package?

Let's try not to go overboard. TW the greatest athlete on the planet?!? I admire the guy but I don't think so. Jack was pretty fit/strong in his day c.f. his golfing peers. Comparing the two as "athletes" is bogus given the shift in fitness levels of the current players. Didn't Bobby Jones say of Jack "He's playing a game with which I am not familiar"? Pretty high praise.

Home Course: Wollaton Park GC, Nottingham, U.K.

Ping G400, 9°, Alta CB 55S | Ping G400, 14°, Alta CB 65S | Adams Pro Dhy 18°, 21°, 24°, KBS Hybrid S | Ping S55 5-PW, TT DGS300 | Vokey 252-08, DGS200 | Vokey 256-10 (bent to 58°), DGS200 | Ping Sigma G Anser, 34" | Vice Pro Plus

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Tiger has the hotter wife. He has made vastly more money. Isn't that all that matters?

/sarcasm

Too soon to call, but I voted Tiger because Torey Pines was one of the great sporting contests of our time (at least since Texas defeated USC in the RoseBowl).

Nike Sumo 5000 V2 (9.5°) & SQ2 3W (15°) | TaylorMade Rescue Mid (19° & 22°) | Mizuno MX-23 4-PW | Callaway X-Tour (56-13°) & X-Tour MD (60-11°) | Bettinardi C-03

"I don't care how good your iron play is, if you can't drive it in the fairway you might as well break 'em up or use 'em...

I've only had the chance really to see Tiger play in my lifetime. It's hard for me to vote against him, so he gets my vote. I do have to respect Jack, though. He still has the most majors. When he is passed, then there is no longer the need for this argument.

All I have to say is: "Better than most!" One of the most unbelievable/amazing things I've ever seen.
---
Ishy

Xtra Lite bag:
Driver: Burner 10.5°Woods: Burner 3 + 5Irons: AP1 3 - PWWedges: Vokey 50° + 56° SMPutter: White Hot Tour #1

I have to go with Tiger.

In my Edge and Atlas bag:
driver: FT-iQ 9R and Taylormade R9 460 10.5 R
wood: 5 Wood FT-iQ Neutral
hybrid(s): 3 Burner
irons: x22 3-PWwedges: Black Nickel Vokey 52/8, 56/11 & Oil Can 60/7 and Callaway x-Forge 56putter: Studio Style Newport 2 33" and Sabretooth 33"GPS RangeFinder: uPRORangeFinder....