IGNORED

Jack vs. Tiger: Who's the Greatest Golfer?

sungho_kr

Greatest Golfer (GOAT)  

217 members have voted

1. 1. Tiger or Jack: Who's the greatest golfer?

• Tiger Woods is the man
    • Jack Nicklaus is my favorite

It's a tough call, and it's always hard to compare players across generations like that.

I'd say for what Tiger has done for the game beyond playing, I'd have to go with him. He's brought a new generation of athletes to the game and ensuring that it has longevity

i honestly dont have an opinion on this subject because i think its too hard to compare the two since they played in different eras. but i just saw an interview with Mark Calcavecchia recently and he said his opinion is that Tiger is the better player...not my opinion, just sayin....

I have to go with Tiger just because he is soooo close, and once he breaks Jacks record there will not be anymore debate. The guys is playing in an era that is producing the toughest competition in the history of the game.

How can you compare, I think if you had them both in their prime together playing right now you will find that Jack will come out ontop...He is much more conservative and golf smart with his game...
My Equipment:
Sumo2 5900 8.5 Stiff Flex
Sumo2 3 Wood Stiff Flex
Sumo2 3 Hybrid Stiff Flex
cci Cast Irons 4-PW Dynamic Light Stiff ShaftsSV Wedge's 56 & 60 Dynamic Gold ShaftsWhite Hot Sabertooth PutterOne Platinum Golf Balls #3'sSQ Tour 10.5 Inch Staff BagTW SP-8 Shoes

Tiger...

Of all the video I've seen of both of them, I think Tiger is the better golfer and I think he faces stiffer competition than Jack did imo.

Weapons of Mass Destruction
* Driver - SQ Dymo - 10.5*
* Woods - SQ Dymo 3 Wood - 15*
* Irons - Black Pearl CG 7 - 4 thru PW
* Wedges - RAC Y-Cutter - 60* * Utility - Niblick - 42* & 56** Putter - YES Callie* Ball - E6*** Looking to buy a Niblick 49*

slight different characteristics in these two...I, personally, like Tiger better for his aggressiveness

S82 staff bag:
 910 D3 8.5 PX 7A3 | 909h 15&19 VooDoo S

MP-62 3-PW KBS C-taper S+

8620-DD 53 | 8620-SS 58 KBS Tour S

Select Notchback

Tiger...

I guess you couldn't get your hand on any video of Nicklaus from the mid-1960s through the mid-1970s then.

On you other point, without dispute, Nicklaus faced more HOF golfers in his day then Tiger does now. The players at the top (Palmer, Player, Casper, Trevino, Irwin, Watson, Seve, etc..) were killers. Where are those guys on today's tour? Nicklaus wouldn't have been outdueled in back to back majors by the likes of Zach Johnson and Angel Cabrera, I can tell you that.

My Tools of Ignorance:

Driver: Ping I20 9.5*
Woods/Hybrids: Cobra AMP 3W and 3 HY

Irons: Cobra AMP 4-GW

Wedges: Callaway Forged Copper 56* and 60*

Putters: Scotty Cameron  35" (Several of the flow neck blade variety)

Ball: Bridgestone B330-RX and Srixon Z-Star

Bag: Nike Performance Carry

I haven't read all the posts on this, but Tiger has such a high level of physical fitness training, that puts his physical condition a cut above Jack at the same time in their careers. It could have won Jack a few more tournaments if he had been working out like Tiger & eating energy bars instead of moderate workouts & ice cream.

It is said that Jack had 37 top twos in professional majors "in his spare time". He was a full time dad and a part time golfer. Eldrick is clearly a full time golfer and in much better condition.

Most people probably don't realize that, although Jack may not have looked it, he was a much better natural athlete than Tiger. I believe that he was recruited to Ohio State for football and baseball.

It is said that Jack had 37 top twos in professional majors "in his spare time". He was a full time dad and a part time golfer. Eldrick is clearly a full time golfer and in much better condition.

That last bit...for real?? Makes Jack even better in my book.

A lot of comments here re. Tiger inspiring people to play the game. Tiger has indeed inspired many to take up golf (which is fantastic and I have nothing except admiration for pretty much all he does), but does that really come into the comparison between these two?

Home Course: Wollaton Park GC, Nottingham, U.K.

Ping G400, 9°, Alta CB 55S | Ping G400, 14°, Alta CB 65S | Adams Pro Dhy 18°, 21°, 24°, KBS Hybrid S | Ping S55 5-PW, TT DGS300 | Vokey 252-08, DGS200 | Vokey 256-10 (bent to 58°), DGS200 | Ping Sigma G Anser, 34" | Vice Pro Plus

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Administrator

Let the exaggeration of the feats of our heroes of the past begin...

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I believe that comes from an old Chi Chi Rodriquez one liner, something like(Jack became a legend in his spare time.) I believe it was more a comment on the number of non major tournaments he played and all of his outside business interests. I didn't know you could be a part time dad, and still be married?

1W Cleveland LauncherComp 10.5, 3W Touredge Exotics 15 deg.,FY Wilson 19.5 degree
4 and 5H, 6I-GW Callaway Razr, SW, LW Cleveland Cg-14, Putter Taylor Made Suzuka, Ball, Srixon XV Yellow

Tiger is the man.

Just my opinion but what I've observed in the past 35 years of golf: Yes, Tiger has inspired a whole generation of new golfers that don't fix thier ball marks and think they deserve to tear up the course just because they "Paid thier money",,,Yes,,,Thanks a lot Tiger,,,Sigh!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Jack played much tougher compitetion that had no intention of backing down or being afraid. Things are so different between Jack and Tiger's era that it is impossible to compare them. If Jack was 20 years old today and was told you better look like Atlas and hit the ball +300 yards I'm sure he would have bled until he achieved it. Oops,,Oh that's right,,,Jack was hitting it over 300 yards with inferior equipment back in the 1960's,,,My Bad!!!!!! Tiger would need a LOT of work to hang with Jack if he could get in a time machine and go back to his era!!! Is Tiger the greatest player ever of the "Bomb & Gouge" era? Absolutely!!! Golf today is simular to baseball but instead of the players being on steroids, the clubs and balls are on steroids! Sorry to all the Tiger lover's,,,I'm honestly not trying to be mean,,,I just don't like him, nor do I think he's been all that great for golf as a whole! Like I said before, that is my opinion!!!

In My Bag:
Driver: :Cobra Amp Cell Pro 9.5*, Stock X-Flex

3 Wood: :Cobra Bio Cell 16*, Stock X-Flex

5 Wood: Cobra Bio Cell 20*, Stock S-Flex
Irons: Bridgestone J40-CB 3-PW, Project-X 6.0

Gap Wedge::Vokey: 52* CNC  

Sand Wedge: :Vokey: 58* CNC  

Putters: Scotty Cameron Newport II 

Ball: Bridgestone 330-S(2014)