IGNORED

Jack vs. Tiger: Who's the Greatest Golfer?

sungho_kr

Greatest Golfer (GOAT)  

218 members have voted

1. 1. Tiger or Jack: Who's the greatest golfer?

• Tiger Woods is the man
    • Jack Nicklaus is my favorite

Jack, I think in his day with the same equipment he would be the better player, but not by much.

Doug

I have seen a lot of them both. There are similarities in that each was the odds on favorite everytime they tee'd it up in a major. They both hit it so far in his day, and they both made every single putt that they had to make.

I'm going to say that Nicklaus had more great players to beat, Palmer, Trevino, Watson, Player, Casper, etc. Tiger has a deeper field each week.

Nicklaus won majors from 1963 til 1986. Set scoring records on a regular basis.

Tiger has done some things that just amaze me! '97 Masters, 2000 US Open, Grand Slam (4 in a row is a grand slam!). Then playing 91 holes with a shredded knee and stress fracture and winning the US Open last year!!

If he is able to come back from his injury and stay healthy, there is no reason to think that he won't win 25-30 majors and 100 tournaments.

Tiger might be the most incredible sports figure of all time!

Jack had tougher compettion and won 18 majors but even more unbeliveable he finished second something like 15 times!!

just last week when jack was visiting the broadcast booth (with johnny miller i believe) jack said (and i am paraphrasing) "its more difficult to win now, the fields are much deeper. back then, there were only a few players who figured to have a reasonable chance of winning each week".

and i agree. athletes get better in all sports. runners run faster, swimmers swim faster. every olympics, records fall like crazy. why should golf be any different? athletes are bigger, stronger ,faster, better trained, and more dedicated, and theres more of them. end of story. end of thread! : )

Jack - I went to Cal (mascot = Golden Bears), my nickname in my fraternity was "the bear," my first set of clubs was a Nicklaus set. 'nuff said

In My Hunter Bag:

SQ Sumo2 5900 Driver 10.5
SQ Sumo2 3w 15
A3OS 4 Hybrid 4-PW x20 Uniflex Steel Tom Watson Chrome 52, 56, 60 Sudio Stainless Laguna 2.5 Raw Distance TitaniumGo Bears

just last week when jack was visiting the broadcast booth (with johnny miller i believe) jack said (and i am paraphrasing) "its more difficult to win now, the fields are much deeper. back then, there were only a few players who figured to have a reasonable chance of winning each week".

no jack was being modest, another reason we love him

I noticed Tiger was walking at least 50 steps behind his caddie this past weekend during the tournament at Doral. I also noticed Tiger's last look before he putts was a blink, not the stare he usually gives.

Now I know this could be rust from being out 8 months and his knee needs to become acclimated to tournament play. However, I think his left knee will be his "Achilles heel" from here on end.

Just like in Homer's "The Iliad", one of the young guns nipping at Tiger's "heels" may play the role of Paris and strike down this golfing god we call Tiger Woods.

• Administrator
Now I know this could be rust from being out 8 months and his knee needs to become acclimated to tournament play. However, I think his left knee will be his

I'll take that bet.

Tiger hurt his right ankle. It was sore all week. And he said he's not used to walking 18 holes just yet.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Those young guns snapping at Tiger's heels, and there are many, have got their work cut out for them - and they know it. Watching a Tiger drive in slow motion yesterday (or was it Sat?), it seems that he is swinging freely and has no left knee/leg issues to compensate for - hallelujah! There was talk not long ago of him possibly having to keep his left knee bent a bit in the snap but I didn't see that happening - did anyone else? Same snap, same leg/body action, same length. This is why he's so happy with his current situation, overall. He was stress-testing his body post-op and it looks like it's in good shape, other than his match fitness which of course he will rapidly recover. He still has the rusted putter issue to contend with but I'd put my money on him for the majors this year - despite the long hiatus. He's already proved how tough-minded he is (U.S. Open), now he has to prove to himself how quickly he can fully recover his touch around and on the green.

It's gonna be a great golfing year thank goodness. Imagine if Tiger had discovered he could only put 85% power into his drives - ugh.

Driver: Cobra 460SZ 9.0, med.
3 Wood: Taylor stiff
3-hybrid: Nike 18 deg stiff
4-hybrid:
Taylor RBZ 22 deg regular
Irons:5-9, Mizuno MP30, steel
Wedges: PW, 52, 56, 60 Mizuno MP30
Putter: Odyssey 2-ball

I'm going to go with tiger! But that’s only because of what I hear...Let me explain. I never really watched golf or played. I was really in to competitive Paintball I would play Paintball Tournaments all around the US but every once and a while I would go to the range with my brother he's been playing for 3 years. One day my brother had a tee time with my cousin but he couldn't make it so he gave me his clubs and asked me to fill in for him. After that day of golf I put all my paintball equipment up for sale made about 2k then bought all golf equipment. I never really thought I would be in to golf but I must say BEST SPORT EVER!!!!!! Maybe in a year after really starting to understand the game and learning the players I can give an objective answer. As for right now I’ll go with TIGER!!!

Raw skill I'd say Jack, just because the didn't have the technology Tiger does, however perseverance and poise Tiger all the way.

Tiger would beat Jack anyways though .

In my Bag:
SasQuatch Sq Sumo 4950 Driver Lucky 13* UST V2
3DX RC Ironwood 20* Hybrid
Genex 3DX DC Utility 17* Hybrid
Grand Hawk True Temper 4-PW 56* MP T-Series Ni Classic Monte Carlo 7 Putter 34"

I think Tiger is better than Jack. I also believe he is right up with Michael Jordan for greatest athlete off all time. Lee Trevino battled Jack a lot, and he thinks Tiger is better, so I trust Trevino's eye more than mine.

In my OU Stand Bag
Driver: R9 TP 10.5 Fujikura Motore 1 S
3Wood: R9 15 S
3H: Burner Rescue 19 S
4H: Burner Rescue 22 S5-AW: VR Full Cavity S .5 long & 3* uprightSW-LW: Wedges 54* - 68* Putter: Newport 2 with added sight line, 10 grams, & BOOMER SOONERGPS: Green Finder on Iphone

Its gotta be tiger. But we will still have to see how he does this year after returning.

In my Staff bag:
Bazooka HP-5 Driver 460cc
Bazooka OS HP-5 3/5 Woods
Jmax QL Irons 5-PW (Graphite Stiff Shafts)
X-tour Gap Wedge 52* X-tour Sand Wedge 56* Lob Wedge 60* Rossa Daytona 1 Putter