IGNORED

Jack vs. Tiger: Who's the Greatest Golfer?

sungho_kr

Greatest Golfer (GOAT)  

218 members have voted

1. 1. Tiger or Jack: Who's the greatest golfer?

• Tiger Woods is the man
    • Jack Nicklaus is my favorite

• Administrator
you might wanna check that 7 year thing. i'm pretty sure he won his first masters in 1997. so that would make this year 13?

And you may want to check the date of the post you attempted to correct. It's from early 2006. Still doesn't make "7 years" right, but your "13 years" isn't right either.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I think this goes to show the relative weakness of the field today. I would venture to guess more players could have hit this shot in Jack's day than can now. There are very few shotmakers anymore. For the record, I think Tiger is one of the best shotmakers of all time. I think he has benefited from technology, but not nearly as much as many, many other pros today.

Tiger will most likely go down as the best of all time if he is able to remain healthy, but he's not there yet.

In my bag:

Cleveland Hi Bore XLS 8.5* X Stiff
Mizuno MP 650 13*
Halo 22 Deg Apex Plus 4-E Apex Plus Gap Wedge CG15 54 Deg CG10 58 Deg Anser 4 ProV1x

I totally agree with Pakdoc. If I could see any matchup, it would Tiger vs. Jack, both in their primes. Equipment from the same era or equipment of their choosing. I think Tiger could probably win.

The only thing that truly separates them is that Tiger until recently really hasn't had much real competition.

Clubs:
Driver: Ping Rapture 10.5 degree, Stiff Flex shaft
Fairway Wood: Ping Rapture 17* - Stiff Shaft
Hybrids: Callaway Heaven Wood 20* Firm Flex
Irons: Titleist 704 CB (Forged) (4-PW), Dynamic Gold S300 ShaftsWedges: Titleist Vokey 52 and 58 degreePutter: Odessy White Hot XG Model #1Bag: Ping HooferBa...

• Administrator
Watch for Tiger to have a mediocre year in 2009.

I'll take that bet. He's already got a top ten finish and he's in second place at Bay Hill.

Tiger != Ernie.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

today just shows why tiger is the best the game has ever seen and will ever see!

Cobra S2 Driver
Nike SQ 3 Wood
Nike Sumo SQ 3 Hybrid
Callaway X-16 Irons 3-PW
Nike Victory Red 56 and 60 WedgesScotty Cameron Newport 1.5 Putter

I was young when Jack and Arnie had their duels. I took up the game as Tiger headed into his teens and into college. It's a tough question especially for guys in their 40's-50's and up. I'll say Tiger ONLY because of how he stands alone in his era. With Jack, you had Jack, Arnie, Gary, then Kite and others. From that group I do not believe Jack broke away the way Tiger did from Phil, Sergio, Colin, VJ, Ernie and almost everyone else on the planet. I will look at the question of who's the greatest from on overall "for the good of the game" viewpoint and Tiger wins hands down.

I'll take that bet. He's already got a top ten finish and he's in second place at Bay Hill.

Once again Tiger has forced me to take a big serving of humble pie...

I should know better than to bet against him. It took a mere mortal like Ernie Els a year before he began to play competitively after his knee surgery - I am beginning to believe Tiger is no mere mortal. How he continues to make those clutch putts is astonishing!! People will be talking about this golf prodigy for centuries...

let me preface this by saying that i do completely believe tiger to be one of the greatest players the game has ever seen.

BUT.

i think that, given the competition he faces week in and week out, with the very, very large gap between tiger and everyone else, i think it's a safe assumption to make that tiger only seems so good because nobody else is really stepping up to the bat to challenge him. there's coulda-been, woulda-been phil mickelson, but that's really about it.

now compare that to jack nicklaus: he was squaring off against half a dozen hall of fame golfers in their primes - lee trevino, arnold palmer, gary player, seve ballesteros, greg norman, etc etc. and he STILL won. tiger doesn't have anyone like that to go up against. we need another nicklaus or palmer to square off against tiger to really get a true measure of how good tiger is, i think.

What a great match. I couldn't argue with either choice, although I probably lean to Tiger.

But I'll say one thing for Jack - he wouldn't flinch mentally in the clutch the way Tiger's current competitors usually do. The Tiger stare that makes most pros shake would have absolutely no effect on Jack, and I think he would figure a way to get inside Tiger's head a little.

I'm going to have to go with Tiger. The man is as clutch as they get
In the bag:
907 D1 Driver 10.5
CB2 15*
904f 19*
Fusion 21* 7 wood 680 4-pw Vokey 54* and 60* Newport 2 33" Pro V1

I've already shed my $.02 on this thread, but more things have come to light since. Today in the first round of the Masters, Chad Campbell has an opportunity to shoot a 62. A feat never accomplished in any major. EVER!!! And most of you say "Jack had Arnie and Lee and Tom etc....." but the other players in the PGA at that time did NOT have that kind of potential to do something like this. Or else it would've happened right? Tiger is playing a full PGA Tour that has more capability to fire off incredible scores than Jack could ever shake a stick at. Tiger may not catch Jack for the 18 Majors. He may not even reach 82 wins, but no matter what... Tiger is the best golfer of all time.

"One of the reasons Arnie Palmer is playing so well is that, before each final round, his wife takes out his balls and kisses them. Oh my God, what have I just said."
US Open TV Commentator

S9-1 Pro D Driver 9.5 Degree Matrix Ozik XCON-6
CGB 3WPro Baffler 2/R 2HybridMP-37 Project X 6.0Vokey...