IGNORED

Measuring shaft length

Note: This thread is 5504 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I am having problems with the control of my driver, and a friend pointed out that my shaft was too short. I bought my driver in eBay (Titleist 905R), and it was supposed to be standard lie & length.
The driver has a Speeder shaft, and the grip is covering a little of the Speeder letters written in the shaft. I compared my driver with his (Bridgestone J33, I think), and mine was short for about one inch.
What is the proper way to check my driver's shaft length? Can I increase the length (if needed)?

Clubs in my bag: TaylorMade R7 SuperDeep TP 9.5° Fujikura Speeder 757 S | Titleist 906F2 13° AccuFLEX ICON FH X| Adams Idea Pro Black 18° Aldila NV Pro 105-S| Mizuno MP-57 3-7; MP-32 8-P PX6.0 | Mizuno MP T-10 54.09, 60.05
My bags and cart: Titleist Carry Bag | Mizuno Omega V + Clicgear 2.0

I am having problems with the control of my driver, and a friend pointed out that my shaft was too short. I bought my driver in eBay (Titleist 905R), and it was supposed to be standard lie & length.

there are many different ways to measure shaft length on a club. The way i do is from the heel of the club up. If you have a yard stick that should do the trick. Just lay the club on the stick and put the heel up to the end. If it is to short there are many options to extend the club as well. If its only a short extension you won't notice much difference, but if its anything over an inch and a half you might start to feel some weight differences.

If you are having trouble controlling your driver then lengthening it may cause more problems. People generally shorten the shaft to help control the driver more.
adams.gif Speedline fast 10 9.5˚
adams.gif Speedline fast 10 15˚
adams.gif A7 17˚
adams.gif Idea Pro 3-PW
mizuno.gif MP T-11 52˚, MP T-10 58˚  cameron.gif Red X  titleist.gif NXT

people normally vary from 43 - 46" shafts. I use a 45" but choke down to around 44.5 or even 44 for when I need control..but you can always move your hands to the end of the club for when you're trying to bomb it down there...

what made you go with your shaft now? normally i'd say start with 1 shaft..then compare and contrast other shafts to achieve optimal launch, spin, etc.
DJ Yoshi
Official DJ: Rutgers Football
Boost Mobile Tour
In My Bag
HiBoreXL 9.5 White Board D63 Stiff Exotics CB2 5 Wood, Exotics CB3 3 Wood MP-60 5.5 Flighted Shafts 54 & Cleveland CG-10 60 Newport 2

people normally vary from 43 - 46" shafts. I use a 45" but choke down to around 44.5 or even 44 for when I need control..but you can always move your hands to the end of the club for when you're trying to bomb it down there...

I didn't had the opportunity to try different shafts: basically, I look over the Internet, found that the Speeder is heavier than the other options available for this club, and bought it hoping that the extra weight will help me control my swing. (Why the 905R? Because I found my 3W really cheap in eBay, bought it, and love it!; so why not try the driver then?).

I haven't been playing for too long (I started about a year ago), but I have been in the driving range many times (3/4 times a week), and for the last three months, I joined a course that has artificial lighting, so basically I can play every day. To this day, I have improved from shooting 120 to consistently shoot in the mid 80s. I consider myself a long hitter, my driver gives me 250~280 yds of carry (if I can hittit straight ). Based on this, I consider that the heavy shaft could give a lot of benefits, even if that represented loosing a few yards. As a reference, my previous driver was a Callaway Great Big Bertha II. After the change, I felt like my control improved, but again, I haven't play for too long, so probably it only meant that I was improving.

Clubs in my bag: TaylorMade R7 SuperDeep TP 9.5° Fujikura Speeder 757 S | Titleist 906F2 13° AccuFLEX ICON FH X| Adams Idea Pro Black 18° Aldila NV Pro 105-S| Mizuno MP-57 3-7; MP-32 8-P PX6.0 | Mizuno MP T-10 54.09, 60.05

UPDATE: I went to my local pro shop and have the shaft extended back to standard length: what a difference! I feel my swing a lot effortless now, and after trying it once in the range, I feel satisfied.
I am not sure if the extra inch can make such a big difference (I also replaced the grip from the original Titleist/GP Tour Velvet cord to GP New Decade), probably the change is in mt mind. Works for me! :)

the guy probably cut it short without adding any head weight
so you couldn't feel the head during your swing

Launcher 460 10.5° <BB Solution 130 R>
Wishon 949MC 16.5° <SK Fiber Tour Trac 80 R>
3DX DC Ironwood 20°, 23° <UST SR2 R>
MX-23 5-PW <KBS Tour R>
Vokey 250.08, SM54.10, SM58.08 <DG Wedge> Callie 33.75"TLT Series 4MOI matched

Note: This thread is 5504 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!