Sign in to follow this  
Mr.Totality

Quick question

Note: This thread is 4879 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

6 posts / 1009 viewsLast Reply

I have only picked up the clubs again for the first time in a while. I bought a realtively inexpensive Ram set, which has a nice feel. Would you say that a 250 yard drive from that driver would be longer on a better set? Thanks

Want to hide this ad? Register for free today!

I have only picked up the clubs again for the first time in a while. I bought a realtively inexpensive Ram set, which has a nice feel. Would you say that a 250 yard drive from that driver would be longer on a better set? Thanks

Short answer, yes. Better technology from TaylorMade, Titleist, Callaway, component clubs, shafts, golf balls, etc COULD increase your distance. Longer answer: perhaps not. As you will see quoted a lot on this forum, its the Indian, not the arrow. If you are 250 in the fairway everytime, why change? The technology is great but if you go from 250 in the fairway to 275+ OB, or the next fairway or in the woods, etc. then the extra distance is not really worth it. Take your Ram driver to a launch monitor and see if that is the best setup for your individual swing. There is a good thread

http://thesandtrap.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2112 on using more "expensive" drivers as well.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

250 with an "inexpensive" driver...I'll take that ANY day...as mentioned by Bigal5150, better 250 in the fairway than 270+ somewhere else. Although technology's great, if something ain't broke...(you know the rest...) I must say that I myself have seen some benefits from the new technology stuff, I still keep older clubs handy just because I know I can rely on those whenever I get into a funk...

Appreciate the feedback. I gotta say I love the clubs, the feel "right" when I swing. Let me say this however, I do hit it on average 250, but the rest of my game is Junior High Level. My brother in law used to be a golf instructor in NJ, and he laughs when he watches me with a wedge. I am a big guy, and he laughs everytime.

Appreciate the feedback. I gotta say I love the clubs, the feel "right" when I swing.

Perhaps your brother in law could give you some lessons for the short game. With your length, you are going to have to get to love your wedges. If the driver is working well for you, invest some money in some good wedges (check the Reviews part of the site and forum for some really good equipment reviews). With some instruction and practice, he won't be laughing too much when you start sticking them close!

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Note: This thread is 4879 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!