IGNORED

what clubs do you typically chip with?

Note: This thread is 5472 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

lately I have been getting in to using a 9i for chips where I want to get it on the ground quickly. I figured out that with the same stroke, I would hit a putter and a 9i about the same distance. That is an easy way for me to judge the swing I need.

R7 SuperQuad 10.5 Aldila nv 65-s
Burner 15 UST proforce V2
Pro Gold Tour Prototype 23 Matrix Ozik
Pro Gold Tour Prototype 18 Matrix Ozik
AP2 5-PW Vokey SM52.08Vokey SM56.10Vokey SM60.04 Studio Style Newport 2

All of my chipping is done with an 8-iron. I basically hit the shot just like its a putt.

Whats in my :sunmountain: C-130 cart bag?

Woods: :mizuno: JPX 850 9.5*, :mizuno: JPX 850 15*, :mizuno: JPX-850 19*, :mizuno: JPX Fli-Hi #4, :mizuno: JPX 800 Pro 5-PW, :mizuno: MP T-4 50-06, 54-09 58-10, :cleveland: Smart Square Blade and :bridgestone: B330-S

I use LW, SW, PW and 7i to play short chips/pitches.
Bag: Flight SS
Driver: 10.5* r5 draw with Pro Launch blue 65 Stiff
Irons: CCi Forged 3i-pw
Wedges: 56* CG12 black pearl and 60* low bounce RTG 900
Putter: i-Series Anser 35"Ball: e5+Tee: Zero FrictionGlove: FootJoy WeatherSofRangefinder: MedalistShoes: Sp-6 II, Adidas 360Scores this year:92 91...

brand new clubs... absolutely no test driving them in the practice area after buying them? just to see what those babies can do? had to take them straight onto the course...

i use whatever club gets the job done... it all depends on the lie... so many answers to this question... ive chipped with a 3 hybrid... 4 wood... all variety of wedges... but the garden variety chip shot has to be my pw
RUSS's avg drive - 230yrds and climbing

I use my 56* for every shot around the green,chips,pitches,flops e.t.c.I have so much confidence in this club if it was female i would marry it

aeroburner tp 10.5 stiff
superfast tp 2.0 3 wood stiff
Halo 25 and taylormade tp 19 degree hybrids
miura cb 202 and wedge
tp 52* wedge, tp 56* taylormade spider mallet putter

Ofcourse I hit them. I've hit the range maybe 3 or 4 times since I got them before the round. But hitting off of a nice even mat, and pitching off of soggy rough and fairways aren't the same thing.

X86 stand bag
905T Driver
AP2 4-W
R5 3 wood
3 hybrid Vokey SM 56 #1 putter Pro V1/Pro V1x

I have a 56/14 SM vokey that I love to chip with if I'm not playing a long bump-n-run. In the last 36 holes I've holed out twice with it...

On a longer chip/b-n-r I'll go with a 52˚ or a 47˚PW, maybe a 7,8,9 iron, mabe a 4 wood...whatever I'm feelng for the shot at hand.

I like to warm up before rounds chipping with a 5 iron, an 8 iron and a 56˚. The differences in how each club reacts really helps with feel .

driver: FT-i tlcg 9.5˚ (Matrix Ozik XCONN Stiff)
4 wood: G10 (ProLaunch Red FW stiff)
3 -PW: :Titleist: 695 mb (Rifle flighted 6.0)
wedges:, 52˚, 56˚, 60˚
putter: Studio Select Newport 1.5

I've also moved from using a 56 degree to an 8 iron and a putting stroke. There seems to be more room for error that way. It takes some good touch with an 8 iron also, but you can at least get the ball rolling early.

I firmly believe that the average golfer will take strokes off their game by putting a chipper into the bag.

Most won't because their ego gets in the way though.....

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Administrator
Since adopting the Stan Utley short game, my 54, and only my 54.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I firmly believe that the average golfer will take strokes off their game by putting a chipper into the bag.

Why don't you have one in yours?

DBake
Titleist 909D3 10.5* Tour Green 89 Stiff
Titleist 906F2 15* v2 85 Stiff
Mizuno MP-30 2-PW S300
Mizuno MP-R 52* & 59*Scotty Cameron Studio Design 1.5Titleist Pro V1Leupold GX-1The Home Course (75.7/130)

i have several. they double as 7, 8, and 9 irons. sometimes a hybrid. thats why those chippers are such scams. everyone already has one, just dont know it.

In my Bag:

Tour Burner 9.5* ProLaunch Red Shaft
Baffler TWS & DWS Hybrids: 2,4
Irons: 09 Burners 4-AWWC Liquid Copper SW 56*WC Liquid Copper LW 60*Putter: Black OZ T130 TP Black

I was taught as a kid by my grandpa to use the 7i and 9i with a putting stroke. I use my 7i A LOT for this type of shot and I try to make it in the hole. Not get on the green or get within putting distance - I mean, I treat it like a putt. Not only does this give me (a high handicapper) a chance at lower scores but it also drops my putts per round.

If I have to go over an obstacle (bunker, thick rough), I use my pitching wedge and open the face a bit. But, after reading some advice on here, I'm trying to get away from lob shots ;)

Callaway Org14 Sport w/ Clicgear Cart:

Callaway X 460 9* - Callaway X 15* - TaylorMade 19*/21* Hybrid - Callaway Diablo Forged 4-PW - Titleist 50/56/60 - Rife Cayman Brac - Bridgestone xFIXx/B330-RX - TRUE Linkswear Supporter!

my chips have a trajectory more like mini pitches. I usually use the sand wedge with my chipping stroke but lie changes everything taking me from 4 hybrid through mid irons and even my lobber. I like to have the green take the ball and get me under the hole even when I forget to aim there. Became a good habit.

I stick with two because that gives me the least margin of error. If I need low, a bump and run there's the PW. For anything high, a long pitch, a flop shot, or from the sand I use my 58*. However, there is one exception. I do use my 54* for long bunker shots, when around the green that is. My 54* is normally reserved for approach shots, 110y-75y. Long bunker shots are a rare occurance. Oddly enough I did have two of them on Monday, and didn't get up and down either time. Yay!

Callaway RazrFit Extreme 9.5 w/Project X 6.5
Callaway XHot Pro 15* 3Wood w/Project X 6.5
Callaway XTour 18* 2h w/S300
Callaway XHot Pro 4/5 irons w/S300
Callaway XForged III 5-PW irons w/S300
Callaway Forged 52*/58* Wedges
Odyssey 7 Versa 90
Callaway Hex Black Tour

We don't have much in the way of greenside rough to navigate on our home course.

I chip best with 7 iron through PW.

I'm a dunce for not practicing this needed shot more. We have a practice green set up for just chipping.....and I don't practice it nearly enough...my fault.

909D Comp 9.5* (house MATRIX OZIK XCON-6)
Burner Superfast 3 & 5 woods (house MATRIX OZIK XCON-4.8)
G15 Hybrid 23* (AWT shaft)
G5 5 iron-PW-46*, UW-50*, SW-54 & LW-58 (AWT shaft)
Studio Select Newport 2 Mid SlantGrips: PING cords & Golf Pride New Decade Multi-Coumpound Bag: C-130...

Since adopting the Stan Utley short game, my 54, and only my 54.

Well i read about 4 chapters of Stan Utley's book since Monday and I went to the range last night and bought a jumbo bucket. (still trying to work into these irons) I sh*t you not, I hit 140 absolute SHANKS!

EVERY SINGLE ONE! I was hitting the hosle on most of them. Not even hitting the club face? I don't get it!!! I hit them beautifully the other day. I think maybe all of this technique is in my head, because I just did not feel comfortable. EVERY SINGLE SHOT either off the hosle and to the right screaming ground ball, or I got the ball in the air with a terrible slice. I could feel the club head turning in my hand at impact. I think maybe I was swinging around my body? Really I have no F**KING CLUE. But it was torture I started analyzing things... my buddy is cracking up next to me... and I was so furious I dumped the rest of the balls out onto the rang and left. I have an expensive round coming up on Saturday. HOW DOES THIS GO AWAY????? Sorry this might have to go to another thread but I had to say something

X86 stand bag
905T Driver
AP2 4-W
R5 3 wood
3 hybrid Vokey SM 56 #1 putter Pro V1/Pro V1x

Note: This thread is 5472 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!