IGNORED

what clubs do you typically chip with?

Note: This thread is 4506 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I just bought a brand new set of Titleist AP2 irons and a new Vokey SM 56 wedge. I only played one round with them on Saturday. I hit them very well for the first run but my short game was just horrendous. It seemed like I was attempting to hit the vokey wedge anywhere from 80 yds in. I could not pitch and chip at all for some reason. I think I need to be doing most of my pitching/chipping with my P wedge as opposed to going right for the sand wedge each time. I'm long off the tee so I'm in this situation a lot. I also was chunking or duffing little chips around the green too. I have no clue why but Im just in my head.

Should I be using the pitching wedge / gap wedge for most of these approaches? I really want to use the vokey to get some action on the ball but I can't seem to figure it out.

Also - Has anyone read "The Art of the Short Game" ? I'm getting desperate!

The key is to keep the ball out of the air as much as possible. so close around the green I go with a 7, 8, or 9 iron. Sometimes i use my 2 hybrid.

once i get further from there, i go to my 60*, then 56* flop shots, then half to 3/4 speed 56* shots inside 100 to 60 yds.

Use whatever club you feel the most confident with. I usually use my 56 degree sand wedge when I'm within 60 metres or so and my pitching wedge for chipping around the green. I know I should be using different lower lofted clubs when chipping depending on how far I need to hit it but I just feel that I can get it closer to the pin with my pitching wedge.

I have found my best is the 9i when the ball needs to get on the ground quickly. The only time I chip with a wedge is if I need to carry it over something.
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I have found my best is the 9i when the ball needs to get on the ground quickly. The only time I chip with a wedge is if I need to carry it over something.

exactly. i love the irons for chipping. 7, 8, and 9. the ball checks and rolls. just got to use a putter stroke and read the green. keep the ball out of the air. cant stress that enough.

Also - Has anyone read "The Art of the Short Game" ? I'm getting desperate!

I have. There's even a thread about it in the books section. About the book, not about my reading it.

Utley chips primarily with his sand wedge. I'm a big fan of his work, although I admit that I use primarily my 51° when chipping, and grab the S when on a downslope and the P when on the upslope, as these slopes add or subtract loft. For some reason, I'm just more comfortable. For pitching, I know my half-wedge distances for my three wedges (kind of like the Pelz technique) and I use that as a starting point.

I am long as well and because I often find myself inside of 100 yards on par 4s I decided to carry 3 wedges (in addition to the PW)
I use a 52* low bounce from a good lie inside of 100 yards, 56* with higher bounce from thicker stuff inside of 75 yards, and 60* mid bounce (8*) from most lies when I need to get some air under the ball. If I'm on the fringe, or an equally good lie, and have considerable room on the green I use an 8 iron when not putting.

Check the bounce on your 56* wedge, if it has high (>10) bounce you may have a harder time hitting it from thin lies. But that doesn't explain the fat shots.

I haven't read Art of the Short Game but I have read Dave Pelz's Short Game Bible and it was very very helpful. Highly recommend the book.

Yea I have a 14 deg 56 vokey. I guess I wasn't really paying attention when I bought it or really wasn't sure how to read bounce angels. I find myself skulling it a lot off to the right or taking a big divot way before the ball on approaches from like 60 yds. I started playing the ball further back in my stance which helped some but I still get the knee knockers when going to hit it. The weird thing is, it feels so good in my hands. I feel confident holding it but then I botch the shot. Its really frustrating.

So the lower the bounce number the more forgiving the wedge? I have an AP2 gap wedge and pitching wedge. then just this 14* vokey.

Anything from a 7 iron to my wedges, at most 60º. I prefere to use a less lofted iron for the chips, they leave less chance of skulling it or hitting it fat, but I use my 58º alot with great success.

So the lower the bounce number the more forgiving the wedge? I have an AP2 gap wedge and pitching wedge. then just this 14* vokey.

Not more forgiving. It's just designed to do different things. In particular higher bounce wedges are designed to 'bounce' (not dig) into the ground (ie sand). Typically the wedge you use out of the sand should have higher bounces, same goes with certain thick/fluffy rough situations.

14 is very high, that's an excellent sand wedge but I personally would get a lower bounce wedge for cleaner lies. It depends on a number of factors though. PS There is an excellent section on bounce in the Short Game Bible. Just searched 'bounce on golf wedges' and came up with this. http://www.golfequipmentsource.com/g...ge-bounce.html I would ask your friends to borrow wedges of different loft and bounce combos and go to the short game area and hit shots with them all.

so the higher the number the less bounce?

The higher the number the higher the bounce. You can have a 50 with high or low bounce or a 64 with high or low bounce. You just need to know what you are using it for and go from there.

I personally use lower bounce from better lies and higher bounce from thicker lies or sand. Not always, but usually. Although this discussion is going to make me experiment tomorrow when I'm practicing.

I use as low as I can for chip shots. If I have a lot of green and even fairway to work with, I'd rather use a smooth 7I than a hard 56.

For pitch shots I generally use the 52 degree because I have the distances down for that club. Only on a perfect 50-60y shot I'll use a 3/4 SW, but not on a dry fairway.

I use my 56 degree about 90% of the time around the green. I never use a 7 or 8 iron for a bump-n-run. I grew up using just the one club for all the greeside shots and I continue that today. I will use the 60 the other 10% of the time if I feel a flop shot is needed or the better option.

I use my 8 Iron, PW, 52 or 56 dependant on the situation. For a carry of more than a couple of yards, I'll normally use the higher lofted wedges, but it also depends on the slope of the green. Downhill I'll try and play a lower lofted club, and uphill a higher lofted one. It also depends on how quickly it needs to stop.

So, it really comes down entirely to the situation. The beauty of chipping is the fundamentals are so simple, so it really is a very individual thing much like putting.

Note: This thread is 4506 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!