IGNORED

Why Don't Pros Use Iron Covers?

juanrjackson

Jesus...I just read 10 pages on this topic and in that time, I took my iron covers off twice...and replaced them twice...then decided that;

1.  covers will stay on during travel in the trunk

2.  Immediately upon leaving said trunk..they shall be removed.  (If I see any golfers that look...you know..like they're good, I will pretend to do something else until they leave so they don't see my headcovers)

3.  I will play golf

4.  After golf...clubs will be cleaned and returned to vehicle...after re-covering said irons.

5.  I will pray that the sound of clanking irons doesn't drive me insane by hole #2.  

It is so damn funny there are 10 pages of this topic from 7 years ago....and even more funny that I just read them all...I was sober to start..I'm half lit by now.  Bedtime.  

• Funny 1
  • Upvote 1

12 hours ago, Commish said:

Jesus...I just read 10 pages on this topic and in that time, I took my iron covers off twice...and replaced them twice...then decided that;

1.  covers will stay on during travel in the trunk

2.  Immediately upon leaving said trunk..they shall be removed.  (If I see any golfers that look...you know..like they're good, I will pretend to do something else until they leave so they don't see my headcovers)

3.  I will play golf

4.  After golf...clubs will be cleaned and returned to vehicle...after re-covering said irons.

5.  I will pray that the sound of clanking irons doesn't drive me insane by hole #2.

It is so damn funny there are 10 pages of this topic from 7 years ago....and even more funny that I just read them all...I was sober to start..I'm half lit by now.  Bedtime.

Welcome to the site!

Joe Paradiso

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• 2 weeks later...

Didn't have the energy or willingness to read 11 pages so will only state what may well have already been stated.

Pro's don't use shaft tubes and iron covers because they don't worry so much about getting clubs, because the manufacturer will build it to their spec, even if it is an older model.  For them practicality is more important than getting their clubs to last longer.  The problem with iron covers is that the club head needs to be clean and dry before putting the cover on.  Otherwise, rust and scratches from the dirt are a problem.  The shaft tubes will make the bag bigger and heavier and that is probably why the caddies prefer they not be there.  Plus, there is generally a club guy from all the major manufacturers at each event so clubs can be replaced as necessary

What's in the bag

• Taylor Made r5 dual Draw 9.5* (stiff)
  • Cobra Baffler 4H (stiff)
  • Taylor Made RAC OS 6-9,P,S (regular)
  • Golden Bear LD5.0 60* (regular)
  • Aidia Z-009 Putter
  • Inesis Soft 500 golf ball

Irons, in fact all clubs do get damaged if the bag is moving around and the clubs are not prevented from knocking into other clubs.  Admittedly, the damage is small, but over time you will see the effects and the metal fatigue.  I don't use the covers when on the course because I don't want the covers going on when the club is dirty and there is moisture on the face, which can only lead to rust and scratches from dirt, but ensure I keep the covers on once I have cleaned and dried the clubs properly at home after a round.  Covers are especially useful when you are in the car.  Yes, it might make me look more darkish, but if that is the case, why do most golfers have and use wood and hybrid covers.  Is it because it came with the club??

What's in the bag

• Taylor Made r5 dual Draw 9.5* (stiff)
  • Cobra Baffler 4H (stiff)
  • Taylor Made RAC OS 6-9,P,S (regular)
  • Golden Bear LD5.0 60* (regular)
  • Aidia Z-009 Putter
  • Inesis Soft 500 golf ball

12 minutes ago, pganapathy said:

Irons, in fact all clubs do get damaged if the bag is moving around and the clubs are not prevented from knocking into other clubs.  Admittedly, the damage is small, but over time you will see the effects and the metal fatigue.  I don't use the covers when on the course because I don't want the covers going on when the club is dirty and there is moisture on the face, which can only lead to rust and scratches from dirt, but ensure I keep the covers on once I have cleaned and dried the clubs properly at home after a round.  Covers are especially useful when you are in the car.  Yes, it might make me look more darkish, but if that is the case, why do most golfers have and use wood and hybrid covers.  Is it because it came with the club??

Sorry, but a little bumping in the bag does NOT cause metal fatigue in irons.  Metal fatigue comes from consistent stress and flexing, usually over a long period of time.  The sort of bumping and bag chatter that a golf club receives does not stress the metal.  They get more stress from hitting the ball, and even that does nothing to cause any real fatigue unless you consistently take trenchlike divots, or or otherwise abuse the club.  The shaft will give out long before any stress occurs in the clubhead.  If your clubs get damaged from riding in the car, then I don't ever want to ride anywhere with you.  My body is a lot more fragile than my golf clubs are.

I use wood covers to protect the lower part of the graphite shaft from being damaged by rubbing on the shorter iron clubheads, not to protect the wood heads themselves.  

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

and because a scratch on the top of your driver is potentially distracting and makes the club harder to line up.  in that case a cosmetic issue can influence your swing.

Colin P.

Drivers and fairway metals make a loud, annoying sound when clanking around, also the metal is painted or anodized, so that can chip.

But irons don't make a bad sound, they make a nice sound, I love that sound, and they don't have paint so there's nothing to damage.

Get rid of the iron covers, they're useless.

I'm not getting all the, iron covers cause rust comments? Maybe because I play blade irons I don't know?  I have never had an iron rust in my life due to iron covers. With the exception of my 59* Trusty Rusty Cobra wedge.

• Administrator
35 minutes ago, Natural Patrick said:

I'm not getting all the, iron covers cause rust comments? Maybe because I play blade irons I don't know?  I have never had an iron rust in my life due to iron covers. With the exception of my 59* Trusty Rusty Cobra wedge.

It's not a complex situation: if you trap moisture against steel it tends to rust. That's all people are saying.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

27 minutes ago, iacas said:

It's not a complex situation: if you trap moisture against steel it tends to rust. That's all people are saying.

Yeah I get that. I guess then I have never trapped moisture against my irons then. I knew that golf towel was good for something. When I play in the rain, I do take the covers off overnight..

I hated the aggressive banging of irons in my bag, as my playing partner drove the cart at high speed over tree roots.

But the gentle clinking of them as I push my push-cart is actually rather soothing. Same with them on my back in a little pencil bag.

Tour pros don't ride around a golf course - at least not in competition. Do they ride their practice rounds?

I cover the heads of my woods and the two hybrids that came with head covers.  I too do not dislike the rattle of irons. Perhaps my on going slide to deafness is making me unaware of rattle from other parts of the course. My golf towel covers the clubs partly and somewhat during the round.  I clean my clubs or dry them in the mornings. The iron head covers seem a bit nerdish to me. I don't care what my partners use but don't ask to organize a search party for lost covers.  I will relate that when wedge plastic tees first came out, Wedgetee is the brand name, they could only be purchase at Golftowns in Canada and since we had not opened one in the Maritimes, you got them from Maine of from Ontario. Value enhanced because of the scarcity.  They last about a season, but more are lost than are ever broken. We were playing at Gowan Brae a fine course in Bathurst New Brunswick and one of our playing partners lost one and no one notice the flight of the tee as we were watching ball flights,  We began a search and ended with 12 guys, 3 foursomes, all searching to find a bright orange plastic tee. lol  We looked silly and we had fun later remembering. Fortunately they are far more plentiful now and the searches are back to the more anal retentive types. Me, one minute and when the rest go, I go too.   

Iron head covers make you look important and makes them look professional if you trade them in or sell them. I'm not important, therefore I don't have iron head covers. 

On 24/03/2015 at 9:05 PM, MrDC said:

I like the sound of irons clinking, especially in the morning, sounds like victory.

Ah psychological warfare. I like to intimidate others with a driver, 4 wood, mean looking hybrid, clanging blades and an old Ping putter, which is a bit of a joke really considering my skill level. I use knitted soft covers on woods only so any opportunistic thieves lurking outside the pro shop can't ID my clubs by the brand covers - they can have my irons.

R7 425 driver -- 4 wood -- 2 hybrids -- 5 irons -- 2 wedges -- Ping PAL2 putter -- Titleist NXT Tour S

• 2 years later...

Saw this today, thought of this old thread about iron covers. Seems this gentleman, Aaron Rai, wears two gloves and has iron covers. He is a ball retriever away from the hacker trifecta. He's pretty good though!

https://www.nationalclubgolfer.com/news/aaron-rai-witb-2018/

Edited by NM Golf

Danny    In my :ping: Hoofer Tour golf bag on my :clicgear: 8.0 Cart

Driver:   :pxg: 0311 Gen 5  X-Stiff.                        Irons:  :callaway: 4-PW APEX TCB Irons 
3 Wood: :callaway: Mavrik SZ Rogue X-Stiff                            Nippon Pro Modus 130 X-Stiff
3 Hybrid: :callaway: Mavrik Pro KBS Tour Proto X   Wedges: :vokey:  50°, 54°, 60° 
Putter: :odyssey:  2-Ball Ten Arm Lock        Ball: :titleist: ProV 1